[Class Idea]Sentry - The Tanking Archer

Added more ability description, details, updated some stats in the scenario of multiple Sentries to stay balanced.

Cool idea, sounds very thought out. Sentry sprite looks like it’s an Egyptian archer from Tomb lol

The barrier is on you or an area,

What if piercing shots didn’t go through your banner but also didn’t reflect back. Still protecting the player but wouldn’t be doing the dmg back against itself.

The barrier stays right in front of you at all times. When you move, it moves to you. You can say that its coordinates are relative to your character sprite, and is about half a character sprite away from the center of your character, facing your cursor. I’ll see if I can get a gif going. (Also, I just realized that my barrier sprite is 3X8. Gotta fix that, in a sec).

I’m mainly afraid of it being too OP for its own good… I’ll put a poll up, then

How about a barrier that glows around your character and adds extra hp to your character as barrier hp for an amount of seconds, that can be a new buff, the barrier, and the banner can do that, cus if it’s in front of you, wat if something comes behind you, oh, though the barrier I just made up is kind of broken, wat if op pet users just spams it, what about a cooldown?, any debuffs or negative effects won’t affect you if it hits you barrier and doesn’t destroy it, and def stat bonus? it needs to make sense as if the real item - these are just my suggestions btw

That can be a UT, tho! A frail barrier that surrounds you. Cooldown can reduce spammability. Good idea!

Edit: addded Barrier animations for the current condiguration. May change again later.
Edit2: also, I wanted to make this barrier sort of a shield that you can wave around… it may be easier to implement your idea, though!

Oh, I have many idea, if I’m not so lazy and stubborn, and try to make some sprites, I can finally finish the dungeon that I spent time while I was bored at school to create, I’ve perfected it, everyone says an idea is not complete without pictures and I’m just too lazy - I shouldn’t spam too much

I see we’re your getting at, but if you wave the shield around, doesn’t that make it more challenging, the game is hard enough after deca’s remove def from abyss, please try to make the game easier, and adding a buff as barrier shouldn’t be so hard to code for a game, designing it to move around would take more time

Updated the sprites. The first version was missing a couple pixels, but now It doesn’t have that roman fin helm look…

Well, it does make it harder, doesn’t it? Personally, I love the added mastery challenge and it also gives you a little space to move after it has been broken since it isn’t exactly on top of you… Maybe that can work.
About the coding difficulty, It may be more difficult to implement code-wise, but it shouldn’t be impossible… Well, ideas are ideas at this stage.

I think it would be possible to nerf the insane defense by either making it only block one shot (regardless of damage) but instead increase mp efficiency and size by tier.

On the other hand, you can give a fuck-you cooldown to the banner (10 seconds once banner breaks) to prevent shatters being shoved by banners.

EDIT: Or even make a UT that can take many mini shots! But you go super slow and do barely any damage.

Big question, though: What happens if a 100 damage shot breaks through a 50 hp barrier?

Well, increasing the size makes it a little harder to block the right bullets you wanted to block, no? Especially on something like the shatters… You can block 4 shots from Ice adepts, at most. 3 if you want the counter attack, and the Sentry’s falling behind on DPS compared to archer anyways… You can barely last a second trying to get into true range on an ice portal!

If it blocks only one shot, it loses the moment of, “Should release my counter shot now, or can I take another hit? Oh, GOD IT JUST BROKE runrunrunrunrunrunrunrun NEXXXUUUUUSSS”.
That banner cool-down would be hilarious though. I can imagine me just spamming the ability key before I pop myself. lel.

Edit: Freakin’ misspelling man.

A UT that makes you go slower, eh…? I think that’s easily implementable as well!

Answer to question: if it’s a piercing, your barrier breaks and you have about a quarter of a second to dodge it. If not, both barrier and shot disappear (currently). Something like when your character takes a bullet which kills you; if the bullet is piercing, it continues to look for a next victim. If not, then it disappears with you.

Yass I love the 3rd sprite

Glad you like it! I never noticed what was wrong with the first sprite until it was too late :sweat_smile:.
I think it’s quite over’designed, though… You know that moment when you added too many spikes to a character. A little like that.

Still glad you liked it <3

Added more UTs and some new Sprites!
Check it out, @SorataK and @Dappertron,what do you think?

Bow of the Raging Sun

Alright… I think it’s time to ask the veterans. @Scorchmist and @Xaklor, please give me your thoughts. I’ve always respected your critics on other threads, as it seems you guys have the most experience.

Also, :cookie: in advance, thanks!

he’s not here. he’ll be back in a month or so I think

if I haven’t commented on an idea this old it’s probably because I’m going to tell you I dislike the very core of the idea and think it should be scrapped entirely.

this is not an exception.

RotMG is supposed to be a “bullet hell” game, you should not be able to block shots without taking damage under any circumstances. it is contrary to the nature of the game, you’re either supposed to dodge to survive or gtfo if there’s just too many shots. I don’t like this.

(also if he’s a bow class why is he swinging his bow instead of shooting it?)

I haven’t looked at it that, way. Thanks for the enlightenment! I remembered vaguely somewhere that Knights were supposed to be that meat shield once, but that idea was obviously scrapped, so that could be a reason.

I thought that he launched the arrow so hard that the bow got thrown down a bit. I’ll model after some real archers for a revision later.

Edit: Conceptually speaking, are you okay with Oreo as an exception, or is it because it’s a UT?