Community Flagging

So it seems you can get flagged for almost anything, even if it isn’t directly against ToS, debates and/or discussion are very important in forums especially when discussions can have real time impact into the game. I feel like people that aren’t of RealmEye “STATUS FIGURE” are less likely to be “Muted/Shut up” for no better of a word off the top of my head. I have also noticed some of the “PEOPLES” posts being Whine Cellared prematurely.

TL;DR

Does RealmEye need to relax Forum Politics?

Please discuss

Edit: @moderators it would be interesting to see your feedback

@Doc How is this off topic? its actually a serious point of contention for some people, if anything Community hub or forum feedback at least?

@OtherBill Please Contribute as you have more knowledge than anyone else on how moderating and flagging works

Yep

@Aiaiaiai @Scorchmist @Shatter @ConsoleMC @Xaklor @Trofimowen @Mynamerr @Zlushy I feel like you would be able to contribute

Moderators review and agree/neutral/disagree to each flag.

If they disagree then the flagger is flagged.

Would love to know what that chose for where I got a flag for calling a smart ass a smart ass, either decision they make, I undestand.

The main flag I have to use these days is the off-topic one. Just stay on topic and avoid getting derailed into a pointless argument about things the other party had nothing to do with or something personal.

Debates are good, arguments are painful to read and should be flagged.

but still often flagged,

[quote=“Shatter, post:4, topic:5653”]
Moderators review and agree/neutral/disagree to each flag.
[/quote] But do they really converse with each other or is it a singular decision for whoever is on at the time?

Just got flagged for a completely on topic post…

it’s a character named PC principal in south park that is sarcastically portrayed as a PC elitist.

Holy calm down with the flags people…

The forums used to be safe :frowning:

Wasn’t flagged since September and now I get 2 flags in 2 days on 2 innocent post. Inb4 it’s one guy cough cough and his alts

my point exactically, I also feel that topic got WC to early.

But being flagged for off topic in an off topic dicussion does this need changing?

Edit: @Xaklor

Although i’ve had several posts get flagged when there was simply no reason for them to be flagged except “wah wah wah, my feelings”, i feel like if i whine about it, i’m just as bad as the people who flagged it.

It’s weird, because all of a sudden it seems like all the trolls joined at the same time.

Please keep on topic, If you wish to contribute that’s fine but I do not want my thread full of off topic responses.

I thought this was on-topic, because many of the current “unfair” flags are because of trolls and their alts.

It’s on the topic of “I feel like you can be flagged for anything even if it does not break the ToS.”

Seriously players are self moderating far too hard right now, it’s not helping the forums at all.

I’ve even stepped back for the last few days because of it. Today is the first day in a week I’m properly active and if you know the forums you know that’s a bad sign.

Sorry I didn’t realize thats what you meant with your response

Flags do 3 things:

• Alert mods that something has happened that we should probably take a look at, or if it’s the same person getting flagged it gives us a heads up on who to keep an eye on.
  • Enough flags and the post is automatically hidden without moderator intervention, which we can eventually undo if we choose. Flags set by users with higher trust levels carry more weight, so fewer flags are needed for the system to take action automatically.
  • Optionally count as a black mark against the person. The only effect of this is it may prevent or revoke their ability to reach Trust Level 3, aka Regular.

The optionally bit is important, because as was mentioned earlier, all flags get reviewed. Here’s what we do, basically:

1. Approve. This option can optionally hide the post. This option also goes on the persons “permanent record”, so to speak.
  2. Disapprove. This basically deletes the flag and un-hides the post, if it was hidden. However, it’s also counted against the person who set the flag, so that people who misuse flags have some powers removed and their flags carry less weight in the future.
  3. Ignore. The flag wasn’t wrong, but it’s either not important, we disagree, or it’s not a big deal. The vast majority of flags are dealt with this way.

From a user’s point of view, Approvals and Ignores don’t look any different. We’re not going to tip our hands and let people who get flagged know what we choose is and is not appropriate. We’ve had plenty of experience of people who like to dance on the line of getting disciplined, and I’d prefer not to make that line so clear.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

On the topic of over-flagging… to be honest this is something we encourage. There’s ~900 to 1000 posts a day now, and I don’t know about everyone else but I’ve got no desire to personally review all of them. We greatly depend on everyone here to use the flag feature if they see something that doesn’t follow the community guidelines or rules. Given that most all the flags don’t result in any action I would recommend you try not to feel as if they’re disciplinary actions or that you’re trying to be censored. Not exactly easy given how noticeable they are, but I assure you that unless your post is truly bad nothing will come of those flags.

Oh, and about the ToS stuff… we don’t enforce the ToS to the letter. Given how things are flagged I think some people think that we do. We don’t want to devolve into a sanctuary of cheating, so we’ll try to keep topics above board and in the spirit of moving the game toward a positive future. At the same time, there’s lots of great stuff that’s not exactly following the ToS but worthwhile for both the game and the community (ie muledump).

Community Hub is on-topic about RotMG. This topic is specific to the forum, is it not? Feedback is fine if you’d prefer to stay out of off topic.

Yeah… but it still makes shatter cry and break down when he sees a message from Mr eyeball :frowning:

My gut drops haha

Is this actually fair though? as higher trust levels don’t necessarily mean higher maturity levels[quote=“Doc, post:15, topic:5653”]
I hope that clears things up a bit.
[/quote]

But does the decision go to a “council” or is it discretionary to the mod at the time

Forum feedback it is then