Coulomb: A UT Sword Idea by POWER

###UT Sword: Coulomb

(Thanks to Tykhe for help on the sword sprite; projectile sprite from this page)

E=1/(4πε0)Q/r^2. Problem?

####Stats:

• Tier: UT
  • Shots: 1
  • Damage: 180-200 (Average: 190)
  • Range: 2* (not 2 tiles from original shoot location, but 2 tiles from player’s current location)
  • Fame Bonus: 4%
  • Feed Power: 450
  • Projectile speed (tiles/sec): 383/45 minimum; if speed > 50
  • EDIT: Pierces enemies.

####Explanation
This looks horrendously underpowered! Such low damage, such low range, and such low projectile speed!

But wait: some of you may be familiar with the Doppler Effect:

(Illustration credit Wikipedia)

This sword exploits this principle. When you move in the same direction you shoot, your projectiles end up closer to each other than they normally are. Usually, this principle can’t be exploited due to the high projectile speed compared to movement speed and the limited range of projectiles, especially swords, but I make up for this by making the projectile speed only a little above the movement speed and the range calculated from the player’s current position (this sword is not a long range sword, so no worries about that).

The projectile speed of this sword is exactly 7/9 tiles/second faster than the player’s speed. I have calculated that, for a max-dexterity warrior or knight (50), this would allow 15 projectiles to lump in front of the player at one time. With an average of 200 damage each, this would be a devastating 3000 damage instant attack (to a 0-defense enemy).

Now it seems a bit overpowered: a sword that can burst 3000 damage? However, using this sword is extremely difficult. To amass all 15 projectiles, one has to keep moving in the same direction for 18/7 or 2.57 seconds, a high amount of time in the fast-paced world of ROTMG. Furthermore, stopping motion at any time will render the charge-up ineffective and aim has to be precise as well (because the direction of motion matters). Outside of the doppler effect, this sword is almost useless, so using it is risky. When rushing, the user also has to tank many enemy shots: thus, the sword would be used in conjunction with the Oreo, Juggernaut, or knight shield.

Would you be willing to take the risk? Comment below!

Necromancer Set Sprites

What is this…

Not everyone has a jugg/Oreo, so I mainly see this being used on knight.

2.57 seconds, eh. Easy af when you stun the boss. So if you can get a stun in and then charge up for the duration for the stun, you can possibly get 1500 dmg(from stun) + 3000, qualifying you for sb most of the time.

Wow. A weapon like this…

I love how you used so much math on this idea, shows effort and skill! I also like how you gave a three paragraph explanation on how it’s balanced!

Pros:
Very unique idea
Sort-of balanced

Cons:
Lag
The sprite gave me cancer but the projectile is good

Suggestion: Change damage to 160-200 (Average: 180)

Really cool idea, how would speedy affect it?

It’s always 7/9 tiles/sec faster than your character’s speed, so it would affect speedy characters in the same way.

I love this ^^ hard to use effectifly tho soo very situational unless you’re a knight with 79 def that is just taking a walk in a stright line in the godlands

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C00dgr7W8AAFKkZ.jpg

This is… still not that good. Even with this mechanic, you could have been just shooting acclaim the whole time you are charging your…lump. Can’t you just do this with indomptable too tho?

Give piercing? Make your lump infinite? Just something to think about…

at first before reading the idea, i was gonna think i was gonna comment that this was complicated, but in truth, if this was implemented, it wouldn’t need all that extra stuff. (well the projectile speed is still a pretty big thing for rotmg)…

Amazing! i Love it! Original, has uses, hard to use, skill-based, sick sprite, lots of effort!

Indeed

So I’ve had replies stating that this is overpowered and that this is underpowered.

@PrimeGrind Switching to acclaim reduces the amount of projectiles: remember that the projectiles only stay on the screen for 2.57 seconds, even if you move in one direction. You couldn’t do this with any other sword, as the range of the sword is calculated from the position it is shot from and the projectile thus disappears quite rapidly, even if the projectile speed is about the same.

No, I mean that this mechanic isn’t very useful. Acc will do more dmg as you are charging your lump.

You have a good point. I’ll change this to piercing.

Love absolutely love this idea! It is super original, and seems like a great swap-out weapon. There is one thing I would change though. The sprite seems a little bit iffy. The projectile is great, but the sprite is weird. Because this idea is so awesome, I think that a sprite from @curlip or @piggby would be appropriate.

Good idea, really hard to implement.

Not really like what I would imagine a sword as.

Proximity detection between entities is already in the game, and I believe shots count as entities so it shouldn’t be too hard to implement. (Don’t quote me on that tho, not 100% sure)

That’s the fun part.

i dont know what your ideal sprite is but this is my remake of it.