Defining Hacking, and why is it so bad?

So, I have read a lot about people so called “hacking”. I know that there is auto-aim, auto-nexus, reconnect (don’t understand this), no clip, insta-trade, and others. However, how do most of these actually affect other people. Sure they make the hacker’s game a little easier, but can they actually ruin other people’s games? Auto aim might, but if you are good you should get nearly as much damage as autoaim. Auto nexus is just increasing your reaction speed. Sure its a “hack” but it can’t make any lives worse. No clip is one of the most over-rated hacks. OMG he can just run through walls to Oryx!!! No, this isn’t true. I once went on a hack site, won’t say which one, and tried no clip. It legit doesn’t even work on anything good. Can’t run through walls in Nexus, Oryx, or any dungeons. The only place it works is in Realm, and Sprite world. So this can’t actually harm people too. Insta trade is only bad if used for scamming, but other than that its not a bad thing, just increases speed. Looking at all these things, only one or two could negatively affect people, insta trade and auto aim. Insta trade only fools you if you aren’t paying attention, which is your fault. Auto aim doens’t hurt anyone, just gives that person more damage. So why is there so much flame on hackers? I’m not trying to defend them, just to understand them.

Tomb Rushing
Hacking, reloaded

I define hacking as using any unofficial client to play RotMG- that is, a player-made client. It’s very bad, as it is against the ToS.

personally, i am somewhere closer to you. I dont care that much about hacks, i just hate them b/c the negative/hate that everyone has for them.

@Atrapper is this what u were doing in that tomb

Yep

When I say bad, I mean in game bad, not in real life. (As we all know which is more important).

Its not necessarily the hacks them selves that affect others but instead how they are often used, maliciously

No-clipping in a sprite world a luring people to tp on to the void then going to kill the boss solo like a selfish person.

going into a dungeon and having to nexus then returning and take the loot you dont deserve while the legit player that was there gets zero.

If they are not being used maliciously then they are being used to make the game easier for the player and the players with him/her even if those players are not associated with them. they are forced to have a easier time which is not what the game is about and defeats a lot of the purpose.

I’ve said this before I don’t care to much for hackers however I hate lairs and 90% of hackers lie through their teeth.

Why only temp bans?

The reason I oppose hacking is because I believe in property rights.

For me it is a business consideration.

Realm as a game is a property owned by a for profit company. I don’t know anything about the deal deca made to become its owner’s, but the bottom line is that they have a right to make decisions about the property they own. When you make the agreement to use someone’s property and then circumvent their rights I think you are being rude as well as unethical.

I also think that many discussions about this topic miss the mark because they aren’t a very mature way of evaluating the situation. Debating whether player A’s actions can really really negatively impact Player B feels childish to me. Of course it can. If I don’t like what you do in game, that affects me. But it’s neither here nor there. What Player B and Player A get out of the deal is not nearly as important to me as the developers who not only put their hard work into creating a product but also have their livelihood riding on the line, the company which has the responsibility and right to choose the direction of the game, and the investors who have made significant investments so that the game can exist.

It bugs me when players completely ignore all of the people for whom the game is more than a hobby in these discussions.

With that said, you may also find this comment from me interesting:

Poll: Do you respect hackers?

The definitions given were pretty comprehensive. Personally I think auto-nexus and auto-aim break the game. Think about permanent death, if someone is using an auto-nexus they will never die unless they take a stack shot that will instantly put their HP at -1. This effects not only that person, but those around them due to the fact that their characters will be around longer, possibly have more maxed characters than your average player, etc. There is no instant negative impact on other players, however the personal impact it would have on the hacker (a better account than an average player) negatively impacts the game itself.

(We have a emotional connection to the game and it makes us sad to see people violating it)

and also what i said in my last comment

OK so I know a couple hackers, so I kinda want to say a couple things.

First off, sprite world no clip. I have seen this done, and its legit a 10 second, you can’t move kind of thing. It doesn’t boot you out of the game or anything.

I don’t understand the reconnect, and I can see that being bad.

For the forced part, its not really forced most of the time. Sure, your game gets easier, but isn’t that what a lot of people want? Taking the Sprite world, nobody was killed, you just increase everyone’s speed by 30 seconds. If you really care that much, then if you see a hacker in a dungeon, then dc. Sorry to rain on your hate parade, but it doesn’t really make sense. But please no ban :slight_smile:.

boss dies in less then 10 seconds

Nobody explained reconnect, can someone do that please?

it what people that don’t care for challenge want. I want challenge . however little, it is forced on you

they press p to be teleported back into the dungeon they were last in

I had very little hate for any one but liars in my post.

Is that line of just dc from it if you dont like it basically proven all our points on why it negativly effects the game. that’s a weak argument

and back to how its forced, if you group duping in to this we get in a whole nother boat on how badly it affects the game

saywhat?

So lemme get this straight.

Your point of view is that hacking doesn’t really hurt anyone, but if you don’t like it then … the non-hacker should leave so they don’t ruin the hackers’ fun? what?

Autonexus scripts (which can, as much as I know, be used without an unoffical client) are technically not against the ToS, but theres no doubt that those are hacks.

For me, a hack is anything that gives you an unfair advantage over others in the competitive parts of the game (sb qualifiaction, leaderboards, top fame at realmeye etc.). Since things like autoaim and no-debuff let hackers get more damage in at bosses, they make it harder for others to get sb, hence it does hurt other players.

In fact hacks even hurt other players if only use them while you are alone, since hackers can farm faster, there will be more and stronger chars of hackers at the events/in shatters and the legit players will have it more difficult to get loot.

So summed up, hacking is bad because the hackers “steal” the loot of the legit players.

Realm is just a game, which has collaborative and competitive elements: getting loot faster, getting the best loot, earning fame + stars, maxing stats. As such, as in any competitive endeavour, cheats have no place in it; cheats spoil it for everyone else. That’s why the community always welcomes measures to stop cheats, even those that are mildly annoying to normal players.

To be perfectly honest, not all hacks are made equal. Some are inherently malignant, some are ambiguous, some even ‘good’.

For example, one of the features that we currently have in-game - numerical values on HP and MP bars - used to be a feature exclusive to hacked clients. Thus in the context of what I’m saying, this could have been considered a ‘good’ hack.

Malicious ones include ent/avatar-sitting, the sprite-world one

(@Pokemonha it seemed like you didn’t understand the significance of this hack. To elaborate, let’s say Eendi is a no-clipper. What he will do is intentionally no-clip onto the black tiles, call “BOSS!” and poor Itani will TP onto the black tile as Eendi gets all the damage on Limon, while Itani is left frustrated.) etc.

Ambiguous ones don’t necessarily directly affect another’s gameplay, but still devalues the legitimacy of players who choose to play hack-less. To answer what reconnecting is, here’s another scenario to illustrate the unfairness of it.

Say Eendi (worst name IMO) is a hacker in an abyss with Itani. Itani nexuses because of mistakes he made. Fair enough. However, let’s consider the opposite scenario. Eendi autonexuses (again, unfair because he would have died otherwise) because of mistakes he made. Instead of being responsible for those mistakes and taking the consequences (death or no loot), he is able to reconnect back into the dungeon and ‘steal’ loot from Itani.

Other hacks that don’t directly affect others are debuffs. Take Oryx’s Castle; while the legitimate players can’t rush through the Brutes, the hackers will stroll through them and get SB on the Stone Guardians while legitimate players physically can’t do that without dying.

Typing this reminded me of a novel study that we did (The Great Gatsby).

Hacking is manipulating code.

The point at which it becomes bad is when it has an affect on the gameplay of others, which is quite often.