Defining Hacking, and why is it so bad?

I want to congratulate everyone that participated in this thread, it took 174 for Hitler to be mentioned in an internet discussion when it usually takes less than 10. Well done!

I assure you, to lots of people that lived in Germany through those years, what Adolf did was good.

I beg to differ.

And just realized I have nothing to add to the topic at hand. So I’ll shut up now.

Relativism

I love the stuff you said, but I have to remind you that most of us know this. Obviously “hacking” is against the rules or RotMG. Yes its wrong to hack because Deca says no hacking. But what we’re trying to discover here is why else its wrong to hack. Other than the against the rules part which most people (I hope) know.

There’s a lot of other reason IMO that I already listed but…

shouldn’t that be the only reason you need

unfortunately, these can very well give hackers a large advantage. Additionally, these are not the only ahcks possible by any means. Autoloot, while essentially a way for you to pick up your own SB loot faster, can also prove to be ruinous when SKINS DROP IN PUBLIC BAGS I MEAN COME ON DECA. …sorry

ANYway… I know that many people hack in this game ranging from simply being faster than normal to shooting through walls, not taking de-buffs, and essentially becoming unkillable with (another unmentioned one) autonexus. Personally, I couldn’t care less about hackers unless it means they are taking my loot :cry:. Some people want money, some people want fame, some use hacks, some don’t. That’s all there is to it.

Okay this is getting boring. Can we go back to discussing the game instead of going back and forth between you two for 50 replies?

Fine, fair enough. I’ll give you my explanation.

Hacking (Cheating) is having an advantage using a third party program or client that “cheats” the system.
The reason why people do it is because they cannot handle the consequence of perma-death. This game is also very competitive (getting loot). A game so competitive will invariably lead to people cheating and being the best at any cost possible.

The reason it is bad is because it gives a huge disadvantage to players who are willingly try to improve at the game. Ignoring debuffs like armor break, paralyze, confuse gives an great advantage of surviving. New players get a bad influence on cheaters because they think they will improve in this game if they cheat their selves.

Couple things. Can we assume that I’m not a hacker (even if I am or not). The first paragraph is pretty true. The second paragraph is a little wrong IMO. There is no difference in the way you stated between p2w for a pet and hacking. Watch.

The reason it is bad is because it gives a huge disadvantage to players who are willing to try to improve at the game. Ignoring damage in general gives a great advantage of surviving. New players get a bad influence from divine pet buyers because they think they will improve in this game if they buy their own divine pets.

Same thing applies to all p2w. So if your argument applies to most people in the game, how is that a good argument. Sorry this last part is a little cringy.

Difference being that a good Pet can be obtained by simply playing the game, looting stuff and getting fame. I have yet to see a similar in-game way of getting a modified client.

A Pet gives you a huge regen, that’s it. It doesn’t break the game the way a modified client does.

There is also one major difference between p2w and hacks: p2w can be influenced by legit players, because it’s a business model and thus has to work with supply and demand, so if enough people decide to put their money where the mouth is, they can effectively change the way the market works.

Meanwhile, hacking isn’t influenced by anything and can completely sustain itself off of an insular community of inept fucktards.

All of it was nice and I concede the point. But the end was a little rude.

You know, this might seem really assey, but I would suggest Deca just pile up a list of names…allow people to hack for a while, and gather their loot, find their mules and stuff, send their items, pot up their accs…and then DROP THE BANHAMMER ALL AT ONCE.

They’d lose all their paying customers if they started pulling that kinda bait-and-switch.

Also, if they already can’t do all those things now, I doubt they’d have the resources or the time to do them after opening the floodgates.

First off, and probably most important, DECA doesn’t have good enough software to detect hackers. If they keep it as is, then some hackers wouldn’t be caught. If they made it more sensitive, then they would probably count non hackers as hackers because they used an ability while stunned or something. It would be too messy and too many people would quit the game.

That’s what I was thinking too, they would rather catch less hackers than add innocents and have to go through appeals and stuff

A while ago, in Kabam’s early time with the game, I thought they did something where they recruited certain players to catch hackers in game and rewarded them or something. Or my memory is wrong… which is possible. And I do think they need to make the software more sensitive. The more hackers they catch, the better. The using an ability while stunned thing wouldn’t have to be defined as hacking parameters, either.

Yeah, but no matter how many of these things you do, you will catch some non hackers due to glitches and lag and other things. These people are going to start complaining, and as you add more parameters, these glitches and resulting complaints will pile up. Deca, I presume, doesn’t want to have all these problems and unbans to take care of, especially as true hackers will lie and say that they weren’t hacking, and got a glitch. Its just too many problems and too few solutions.

So… your point is to let people hack away because it’s too much trouble to do anything about it?

No, this is my viewpoint on DECA’s viewpoint.

And you know this is DECA’s viewpoint how…?

I’m not sure, but this is how I would feel if I was DECA. Which I’m not, right? or am I

If I were DECA, I’d want to listen to the community. And there are a lot of people (myself included) who constantly bitch about hackers. That and I would hope they’d have the decency to strive to make their game better anyway. If I maintained a cool game like this, it would really piss me off to see these people trying to twist it around and take the point out of it.