Defining Hacking, and why is it so bad?

The main problem with this is that I now can’t see the other side of the argument. I would have liked to see what provoked this response.

I think you missed the part of the conversation above this, where @CptShevu said a bunch of stuff about why DECA should ban all the hackers. This wasn’t just an out of the blue comment describing everything I think about hackers.

I think he was being a little sarcastic with the wink at the end. I have no idea what this guy was trying to say, as I’m not him, but from your little quote I understood that he (or she) was making a joke, and you just took that joke and acted like it was his opinion.

It may not be his opinion, but there are most definitely attitudes like that in the game. Note that I never talk about Kipp specifically but addressed the opinion itself. It’s prevalent enough to warrant calling it out. People don’t always see the big picture

It just seems you haven’t changed your opinion yet. You believe normal grass is pink and we’re trying to convince you otherwise.

You shouldn’t be playing RotMG if you don’t want to spend large amounts of time on it.
You shouldn’t sign up for a boxing tournament if you don’t want to be punched in the face.
If you cheat, it’s like you’re wearing a baseball helmet during a boxing match, saying: “I don’t want to be punched in the face so it’s fair I’m wearing this helmet! You’re all just not wearing helmets because your faces are so durable!”
(“I should cheat because I don’t want to spend a lot of time! You’re not cheating because you all have a lot of spare time!”)
No Pokemonha, we’re not wearing helmets because we want a fair match, and because we do not want to break the rules of boxing.

Why don’t you understand?

There’s even examples of people playing boxing tournaments without getting punched in the face because they learned how to dodge. They didn’t want to be punched in the face either, but they didn’t break the rules for it.

It’s not a legitimate reason to cheat.

I’d call that weird/fancy grass rather than normal grass

Racist.

Okay so just to let everyone know, people using “hacked” clients are not actually hacking realm of the mad god. they are using modded clients that do different things than the standard clients. The only people that might actually be hacking are the people that make hacked clients. Not defending these modders, just trying to end some of my annoyance about this topic.

everyone knows this we just always use the word hackers.

Actually, I dont think everyone does know this. to me it seems like we are misinforming new players who dont know how “hacking” works

again it’s not that big a deal I’m just ocd about it.

I think shatter’s completely right in that everyone just throws the word “hack” or “hacking” around as a general term for cheating…
in everyday language “hacking” has the same meaning in games as cheating.

only a player new to MMOs entirely would be confused by the term, and even then, the word has come to take on an entirely new meaning - hacking has become a synonym for cheating in gaming hubs.

Hacking has different meanings depending on the context.
In MMOs it has its own meaning.
In law it has its own meaning.
In woodcutting it has its own meaning.
And in hobbyist electronics it has its own meaning.

I generally just use the term cheaters, so that I also address people doing game-breaking stuff like x-walking, which I wouldn’t describe as a hack, since it doesn’t do anything with the game’s code, but I’d definitely call cheating.

I’m going to bump this real quick and am going to weigh in on the conversation now that there is that new “prism” hack.

I find none of the other hacks affecting my gameplay personally except for reconnect, but this new prism thing is over the top. The ability to get into unloaded areas is insane. I would imagine that the new dungeons in testing like Toastrz Lost Hall or something might need to have something to stop this, because this is plain evil. At least no-clipping didn’t always dc you.

What?! Describe this new black magic at once!

I don’t really see how this is a big inconvenience for you, in most places you can teleport. So until it is fixed wouldn’t you just teleport?

Only place I see a real problem is Janus, and maybe shatters but I’m not too sure about that.

Apparently you can tp into unloaded areas with plane or prism.

Give me a hypothetical example of this forbidden art.