[Forum Game] Paste whatever's on your clipboard!

Write an essay in which you present arguments for and/or against the relevance of George Orwell’s 1984 for a person in 2017. You might consider how accurate his vision of the future was, the ways in which our contemporary society compares or contrasts with his idea of society in 1984, and if there is a potential for aspects of his “vision” to come true. Support and advance your position with specific evidence from the novel and from current events/issues.

George Orwell’s 1984
The original Orwellian novel, Nineteen eighty-four or 1984 is still relevant today in some situations, especially in situations that compare 1984 to situations especially regarding politics or to modern situations of technology and abuse of language to distract and mislead the public.
It’s still valuable as a tool of comparison to situations in politics
With the development of technology, George Orwell’s 1984 is becoming applicable to the use of technology to spy on citizens or unlawfully gain information about people on the premise of staying in power.
This is especially useful with the influx of social media and easy to hack smart devices that are typically unsecured.
Though the term Orwellian applies more to use of language, it can also be applied to the distraction and discrediting/demonization of media
With a more divided public due to internet exposure and the echo chamber effect, people have become more polarized
More discrediting of valid information contrary to one’s beliefs
Orwell’s belief has come true in subtle ways, with the increase of government surveillance as well as the slight decline of language towards heavy acronym usage as well as the avoidance of certain words that aren’t politically correct in politics.
This political correctness, while not always harmful, does once in awhile shelter people from truth or exposure to different opinions.
Counter arguments
1984 is very dated, standards and events don’t apply very much to today’s ideals
The situations and solutions (or lack thereof) presented in 1984 are that of a totalitarian government with ideals very different from that of our own
Governments in 1984 can only stay in power if they oppress their citizens after the formation of the party initially required it.
They’re too “deep” in their web of lies to retract them
Governments nowadays can only stay in power if they don’t oppress the people
Political correctness / censorship makes people more open to opinions instead of hearing less
The idea of censorship allows people to choose their own ideas instead of being forced to one side or another
Conclusion
Orwell’s 1984 is applicable in some situations, but not all.
Though it’s ridiculous to try to equate all situations to that of 1984, It is once in awhile applicable through similar setting or methods of governing in totalitarian governments like North Korea.
Though this is true, 1984 is nevertheless overused to describe general oppression when it should be used to describe the use of language to distract people

What have you been doing?? xD

communism

(how did this get in my clipboard lol)

RIP

wait no dont click that that is the to my guild wait a sec ok good i edited it

m122314@mvrht.com

:o I hope that’s not an e-mail adress you want to keep safe/private, cos putting it out here could be dangerous.

There are some people who would use that as an opportunity to troll, for example by subscribing to all sorts of spam with that e-mail adress.

its an expired 10 min email

Okay, my worries were unfounded then.

However, if it is one of his mules, the chance is quite high it will be compromised.

@Moderators If you want the background to disappear on the discord icon use color #212427 on a 128x128 image

Wait shax streams?
wot in public broadcastation\

Shit.
It’s not 5:00 pm here thou

horizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontallyhorizontally

######okay i only had horizontally copied once but i put it multiple times for the memez

It’s 8:21 pm here atm, and I am on EuropeanStandardTime.

But she’s not streaming.

Oh.