[HELP NEEDED] External Whisper Chat Window

As a disclaimer, I am only looking for responses that are within the bounds of the actual game client and that do not require the use of a hacked client. I also realize that this is probably a post better suited for stack overflow, but since they would have no idea what realm was (most likely), I thought I would start here.

I want a way to be able to see only guild chat and private chat in the chat window, while still seeing public chat bubbles. Ideally, this would be done by a setting, but the setttings tab does not provide the functionality that I need. As such, I would like assistance building a 3rd party application that copies guild and private chats seen in the public chat window and puts them into a separate window. This way I can read just those chats, while still being able to read public chat via the main chat window on realm.

As an added bonus, I would like to potentially reply to those guild and private chats via the 3rd party window. As such, any replies sent via the separate chat window would be propagated to the realm client chat box. I understand that this may not be possible in some iterations of the game, such as steam, but I would like to at least see this implemented in the flash and/or browser versions of the game.

If anyone has any idea about where to start, that would be most helpful.

good idea I like reading forums while afk in game so I miss a lot of PMs

Exactly. Especially on USW3, when the chat is scrolling so quickly, it can be a pain to make sure that you saw each and every PM. It often requires running up to the keys where the chat window isn’t scrolling and then scrolling up through your chat history. At least with PMs, you can kind of get a feel for when a new PM has been received, because you can hit tab and the last person that messaged you will pop up. That way you can see if you got one from a new person. You can’t do this with guild chat. I basically miss all guild chats while on USW3, just because I can’t read them due to chat scroll.

i like this a lot, works nicely when i afk to look at the forums!

You would only be able to achieve this with the support of a proxy in the middle of your client and the server. And it would only work while your client is connected, so switching realms etc would still cause breaks in the chat stream. You wouldn’t be able to log in twice thanks to the account-in-use check.

We’d be entering ToS breaking territory if we go more in depth than that. Not sure if we would want that here (though it’s not exactly against the rules right now, quite on purpose actually).

I’m not exactly looking for something that proxies between the client and the server. That sounds like it would require a lot more work and be a lot more on the shady side of the ToS.

I’m more looking for more of something that straight up copies the text from the chat window itself once it gets to the client. It would be similar to me scrolling through twitter and copying and pasting every tweet that began with the letter T onto a word document.

If a text based approach doesn’t work, there are also powerful photo to text options that could be used to image capture and visually identify blue and green text. This would be more memory and time intensive, but I have done something related to this in the past.

As for getting the actual text replies to work, that would be relatively simple, to write any number of scripts that could simply copy and paste or even directly translate text from the actual 3rd party chat into the realm chat window in the background as you type.

My point is that I think there ARE safe options that can be accessed. I just need some general feedback about how to go about it. While I am well versed in several programming languages, the majority of them are not built to handle this kind of task.

What would happen when a tile/enemy/projectile with the same colour as the text passes over the text chat window area?

are there any shots with the same color as a blue PM? I don’t think there are. I’m pretty sure they would make it so the colors wouldn’t be exact.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.