Idea mega/meta-threads

Ideas are expected to be fleshed out, with pixels and what not… That’s all nice to present specific ideas (e.g. items), but doesn’t really cover the meta-game.
Thus, how about we have a bunch of idea mega-threads (or meta-), where we could discuss what certain classes, weapons or abilities are lacking, maybe looking at the greature picture, or just to present neat new mechanics (that aren’t a fully fletched out idea). As such, it could as well act as a resource pool for proper ideas.

Designing a new sword is one thing, but figuring out what kind of new sword the game actually needs? Well, that’s a whole different story (currently not covered by the idea section, or is it?). To give you an example, I’d like to see a new bow, basically with the throw-mechanics of poison (faster, and with arrows). Shots wouldn’t pierce, but fly over mobs, till the shot drops and hits with some small AoE. I’d imagine you could target with your mouse cursor, while the distance from you to the mouse cursor would change the speed of the shots (e.g. you’d need to shoot super high for close shots; maybe super close shots wouldn’t even be possible at all?).

Not sure how to group such a thing (by classes? classes sharing the same main weapon?), but a single monster thread might not be best, I guess.

Anyways, yay or nay?

I am relatively new to the forums, but what you are proposing doesn’t seem like a bad idea, if no place for incomplete ideas currently exists. I do believe, however, that what you are talking about currently falls under the “discussion” category of the forums. That is where people discuss the state of the game, items and classes included.

As for the bow, that sounds complicated to use, but I personally would be willing to give it a shot in designing it, if enough people take interest. I would do a full mockup with damage/drop/stats/sprites, everything. If people show interest.

I think this is a good idea, I often feel like just posting some sprites and seeing what happens, often sprites have an idea/theme behind them but it would be interesting to see where people take them. (Only other place to do this is fan art, but nothing really happens there)

Another similar thread I have thought about is just a place to drop more unbalanced ideas to get some reactions to the ideas instead of getting killed over the balancing. Similar to your bow idea, in the sense that it isn’t fully developed.

Oh interesting, me and @Proasdfase had that idea at one time.

I would like to see someone make it, i might make one in the future for it, if i cant find somehting interesting with it. [quote=“RubeII, post:1, topic:4518”]
where we could discuss what certain classes, weapons or abilities are lacking, maybe looking at the greature picture,
[/quote]

idk what other people are thinking when they are making item ideas, but i think of

• implementable
  • unique
  • cool
  • balanced
  • would actually have a reason for it (although sometimes just for fun i guess)
  • non- exploitable.

i feel that this would/could be used more for those incomplete ideas that people tend to post. They sometimes want to ask the community before putting effort into a concept, that could just not work for some reason.

This is my general sentiment actually, after seeing how much work is required to actually make an idea post. This is why I generally bring it up in the discord or with you beforehand.

My only concern with a forum posting area is that I think there should be some kind of ticket system. Once someone claims the idea as theirs, other people should probably wait to begin working on the same thing. Just so we don’t have multiple ideas with the same concept getting posted.

yeah… i was thinking about starting an idea dump, mainly for ideas that i dont want to do, but something that could inspire others… but decided against it.

Good thread, I might dump some random ideas I have but don’t want to push into a thread by itself

ok here are some definately trashed ideas by me:

• ring = something happens when you enter a dungeon
  • teleporting arrow (quiver)
  • backwards bow
  • wild fire blade - random dmg, range, angle, etc.
  • wand shoots like poisons and such
  • ring = something happens when you enter a dungeon
  • chu ko nu (v2) - decrease accuracy decrease acc increase fire rate
    after a while, turned daze, then paralyzed
  • scepter of randomness, random effect
  • Zhua
  • sheilding sword - slow, wide projecitles that move back and forth and act as a sheild
  • wave spell - push enemies.
  • earth spell - creates earth, acts kinda like wall
  • scepter of light, when u use it, you turn blind/daze/ or whatever.
  • invis scepter
  • mist staff (totally forgot effect…) (i think it had something to do with making enemies blind or something)

Most of these are note to selves, thus they are not explained very well (meaning terribly explained)…

Sounds suspiciously like that priest tome that everyone hated xD

STOP IT. You are literally just tearing pages out of my idea book right now.

HAHAH!

yeah… wasnt as extreme. basically it.

Scrapped Ideas #1

some ideas that I decided I would not make into a thread by themselves so I just combined them here, I have a lot more that I’ll compile and put here maybe some time later.

I know these have flaws in them so pls no roast. if you feel like these inspired you to think of an idea similar to them then go ahead and post them!

these are UT

Nature's Grasp (Spell)

MP Cost:

• 10 MP / s for first 3 seconds
  • then 20 MP / s for the next 3 seconds
  • then 35 MP / s for the next 3 seconds
  • then 50 MP /s for as long as you can hold it afterwards

After you release the spell, there will be a 7 second cooldown.

Stats Bonuses +2 VIT +2 WIS

Effect: when you press spacebar your wizard will be paralyzed and stunned for the duration of the spell. Meanwhile this spell will shoot out like this, you cannot aim your spell afterwards, it will always be shooting where your cursor was

Each shot dealing 100-120 damage armor piercing
and the shots have a range of 9.5 , 1 more tile than a traditional staff.

You may press spacebar to cancel the spell at any time.

Notes: you are sacrificing the mobility of your character to deal immense damage, you must be strategic with where you use it though

Molten Core (Heavy Armor)

Stats: +20 DEF +3ATK +40MP

Effect: Using your ability will activate an AOE attack around the player.

Shots: 7

Damage: 210-270 Damage

Range:4.5

Notes: I’m not sure how to balance this armor so I just threw some numbers out there, anyway this can be very powerful if you are playing aggressively

fck…

oh well…[quote=“Proasdfase, post:11, topic:4518”]
Nature’s Grasp (Spell)
[/quote]

oh this could seem to be its own thread. Quite confusing… im 95% sure i didnt understand that right…

oh i think i get it, it stays there and shoots like a staff projectile thing there… i like this one, you could’ve dev it fully.

wut[quote=“Scorchmist, post:12, topic:4518”]
oh this could seem to be its own thread. Quite confusing… im 95% sure i didnt understand that right…

oh i think i get it, it stays there and shoots like a staff projectile thing there… i like this one, you could’ve dev it fully.
[/quote]

i might if I could find a way to improve them.

Basically the spell roots you and makes you unable to move. While you are paralyzed, the spell will shoot a continuous barrage of high damage projectiles to where your mouse was until you press spacebar again or until your mp runs out

Well, if you guys wanna directly use this thread for such discussions…, here’s another: a new scepter mechanic: instead of just hitting the spacebar, you can charge your scepter, potentially using up all your mp before you release it all. The longer/more you charge, the more damage you dish out. Or the more targets you’re able to hit, or is it a precise, single target hit (a scepter without auto-aim??)? Do scepters always have to chain? What about a star-graph instead (with the scepter being the center)?

I thought that could be fun for a scepter. But it should be useful for small but faster charges/hits too, s.t. you have to decide how to use up your mp. Maybe it could be used to inject some status, while the charging time determines the time of infliction…

On another note: what’s the difference between a wizzerd and a sorcerer?? I mean, not in general, you can google and read about that, since it’s a frequently occuring question. But specifically for rotmg: sure there’s the main weapon, not much point in discussing this. But what about spell vs. scepter? Should wizzerds/sorcerers have distinct capabilities (e.g. status infliction)? Is it all about bomb/AoE vs. that chaining pattern? Do all scepters have to chain? Is a sorcerer rather support class or stupid damage brute like a wizzerd? Should wizzerds have more magic capabilities? Should they be able to teleport enemies around or something?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.