Obsidian Summit Dungeon Idea

Hey guys, Atrapper here. For a while now, I’ve been working on a highly ambitious dungeon idea. It’s meant to be much more mechanically heavy than other dungeons, while retaining the simplicity of RotMG’s design.
So, here it is!

Ragnis awaits you in the Summit…

I hope you guys like it! Whether you want to check out the items or inspect every element of the dungeon, all feedback is greatly appreciated!
Alright, thanks for reading this!

UT Art
Seal of Determination
New UT Katana: BurnShard Katana
Atrapper's Idea Revival- 12 Days of Christmas
If you could customize your own Weapon in RotMG: Here's Mine
Lore of Rotmg
How Can I create dungeon maps?
Dungeon Idea: Infernal Tophet (WIP)
Any Ideas for UT cloaks?
New Dungeon
Best of the Best Nominations - December 2017

I’ll be looking at this more in depth later. But I just want to say you’ve done an absolutely fantastic job from what I’ve seen on the sprites alone. Again, I will be looking into the mechanics at a later date. This idea seems to ooze pure effort and creativity. Amazing work, really!

mfw when the doc doesn’t even load cuz of my shitty internet

@Xaklor Can’t wait for your feedback!
@Life Thanks! The sprites were honestly some of the most fun I’ve had with the dungeon. I basically molded the mechanics around the sprites, save for my basic ideas.
@Niegil I hope you get to read it soon. :frowning:

Good luck with this dungeon, Atrapper! Had a blast revising it! Pretty unique, I must say.

Thanks! Meant to put the reviewers’ names in the credits, I knew I forgot something.

Nice!

I’ve already commented everything when i got the sneak peak! i might actually read the dungeon if i feel like it!

But dont count on it (havent read any of them…)

rip, my first post reservation has been deleted. I guess sometimes you learn best by trying and failing.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the key mold concept should either be removed entirely, or the mold should drop at the same rate a normal dungeon would in a cyan bag. 2% chance to go on a convoluted quest for UT’s with a 1% chance of dropping does not sound pleasant. also, the “greater god” part needs a little tweaking, all of those bosses are difficult to land the killing blow on, either because there are so many people or because most classes aren’t really capable of it. I would say you only need to kill 1, or you need to hit the sb threshold on 3.

a lot of the sprites look like they need some work. while they’re not completely a buzzkill to look at, a lot of them look like they came from the early WS era, where a bunch of sprites look bland. if you’d like me to be more specific, you can ask me after this text wall, it’s running long as-is. there is one particular issue I will bring up now: your skin looks like it will always look best with no dyes at all stupidity described the concept pretty well:

if you don’t believe me, try recoloring your sprite with a large cyan dye and see what happens.

Mechanically this is a wonderful dungeon. I’d love to tell you all the awesome bits and pieces I found but it would be more effective to tell you what still needs changing, right? (if it makes you feel better, assume everything I don’t mention is awesome)

1. the speed and range of all projectiles is completely missing. that’s kind of a big deal.
  2. I was not aware that there would be a boss fight in the first room, so it looks really small. idk if there’s enough room in there XD
  3. what actually drops the bag with conflagration spell and arch pyromancers garments? the ashworms?
  4. weakness on enemies is probably a bad idea. I’ve always argued against it and always will. I’d rather not redo the calculations again but if pressed for them I’ll do it
  5. ashworm hide armor’s def bonus is too high for only -3 spd. either reduce the def or make the spd penalty much worse
  6. even if the conflagration spell’s full damage isn’t up front, it’s still a direct upgrade to the t6 spell. it would have to be all damage over time like a poison to be different, and even then it’s still not that unique.
  7. the projectile speed on the obsidian rapier is so slow, it would really only be helpful on non-moving or paralyzed targets, so not that great.
  8. basalt crest should not give purity for 6 seconds, especially without a cooldown. that’s just too powerful. add a cooldown and/or reduce the purity time dramatically.
  9. tectonic mantle is basically a better fire dragon battle armor
  10. keystone of the magma bulwark needs a cooldown and an armored duration nerf really badly.
  11. signet of the forge needs some more details, how much health needs to be lost? how frequently does this occur? cooldown? etc.

EDIT: forgot to mention this: I think the “burning” status effect and all other related concepts are completely redundant and not needed. if you replaced every instance of “burning” in your doc with “bleeding”, your dungeon would still be very dangerous. bleeding is a bigger deal than a lot of people give it credit for.

the ring drops way to op

Yeah, the droprate is too low, admittedly. I’ll buff it.

Sorry, I thought that was implied. With all 3 steps of the key thing, you only have to hit SB.

I’d actually like some examples so that I can improve upon it.

Thanks!

I tried to add that part in the description after each enemy, though it may be better with it in the actual chart.

That’s the point of it. It amounts to a terrifyingly dangerous boss fight.

An Obsidian Crystal, like the ones from the Siphon Crystal fight, Forge fight, and Ragnis fight, will drop them.

I’ll have to disagree. I think it’ll be fine.

That’s true. I’ll lower the Spd penalty to -6.

Yeah, I’ll bump the Mana boost to 100 and lower its damage to something like that of the T4 spell’s.

It’s a shorter ranged weapon with a higher fire rate. Lower shot speed would be fine.

That’s true. In hindsight, it’s OP. I’ll lower it to 2 (4) seconds and add a 5 second cooldown.

Yeah, true. I’ll lower the Def on it to sort of balance it for its lack of Vit.

True. I forgot the cooldown on it.

I’ll add detail.

I chose Burning over Bleeding for 2 reasons:

1. It’s much more thematic.
  2. The 20% damage debuff is pretty dangerous, making it even worse than Bleeding.

As always, thanks for the feedback!

Not really, when you consider that you’re giving up some stat boosts and the nerf coming for the first one.

Welp, definitely a smashing 12th day, great work on all the days, props to the effort and ideas, loved 'em, as for later, please upload more and more of these, i love them.

Might need to change a few drops, but the dungeon in itself is great!

Thanks! I’ve just balanced some things now.

fair enough. I’m not an art teacher so idk if i can do my own reactions justice but I’ll try:

the dark orange and the near white don’t really fit together, the shading works excellently but the colors themselves do not. also while the area on his chest looks interesting, I have no clue what I’m looking at. all of this also goes for the other guardian, nirspas and all of their orange and white minions.

also most of enemies are shaped like this, like tin cans with no clear division between head and body, their heads and bodies have the same general shape. idk if I’m explaining this well, but compare it to these:

I think that covers all non-boss, humanoid minions in the dungeon.

also, a lot of them have no texture. which is really weird because normally I have to tell people they have no shading. that might not be the right word for it, but all of your enemies are just orange and black, with not extra details. for example, the zombie knight above has a belt and a helmet in addition to just the blue and gray of his tunic and body. I went to http://testing.realmofthemadgod.com/draw.html and looked up “osum” and found someone’s rework of Theuris that shows what I’m talking about.

(99.9% sure credits for the rework go to @Nekula for the reworked sprite)

I think I got across what I’m talking about, but idk. art is subjective by nature, so it’s difficult to describe objectivity of work.

Sorry for the late response, snow’s been crazy recently. Anyway, I’ll work on adding detail to my sprites. As for the sprite, it was made by Reddit user u/pingohits. He’s been giving tips on it, as well.

Great idea, love the concept even though I would never be able to do the dungeon!

One thing though…

A rapier is a thin, light sword used for thrusting at an opponent and generally has a long reach. It also had a very sharp tip, and was able to pierce armor with a good thrust.

So far so good. You incorporated that it was light by adding a higher rate of fire, and you made it armor pierce.

The range is what’s bothering me.

I don’t want you to change it, as it seems balanced and well thought out to me, but, in my opinion, a rapier should have long range.

Other than that, great job, and I hope you make more dungeons so I can keep reading them! :slight_smile:

I will read later, but after skimming the pages, I like how to created it.

Thanks!

Just saw this response. Anyway, rapiers may be a bit long, but I envisioned this one nearly as long as broadswords, but slightly shorter, due to the harsh conditions.

This seems like a fine idea! The mechanics are interesting but not overly convoluted; and it seems to require a fair amount of teamwork to clear. For a volcanic themed dungeon, it is visually distinct from the abyss, which is a mighty plus! :smiley:

However, to my eye, there seem to be a lot of rather powerful status debuffs flying around (five seconds of armour break? Call me a hypocrite but - phwoar! xD) I’m also not convinced by burning… I would personally consider some bullets applying bleeding and others cursed; with potential for a similar cumulative effect.

And aye, as some have mentioned, I think a few of the sprites look a bit ‘off’ - the infernal sprite and ashworm stand out to me.Though there is shading, it doesn’t always create a sense of depth, and a very uniform texture makes a lot of the sprites look very similar, and a bit flat. Nevetheless, it isn’t a bad aesthetic at all - the last thing you want is to mix different styles of artwork in the same idea!

And finally, the UTs. There are quite a few! Perhaps too many for some? (call me a hypocrite again!) Overall; they seem good; my one proper qualm is with the armours. I think the community has nearly reached an event horizon for designing interesting armours; more or less EVERYTHING has been done before or exists already. I must say I love the rings; to be brutally honest I’d be content if they were the only UTs. But who doesn’t like a matching set? xD

Overall; I think this is a nice idea, the game needs a trickier dungeon, and I wish you the best of luck with it in future! :cake::smile_cat: