Poor Cursor Calibration Affecting Weapon Aim

No? The game is mostly 3D, avian pets, stuff of the sort and shots will float. Why would shots rolling on the ground like footballs make any sense?
tip: keep shooting and walk in the nexus water. The shots get lower but the shadows remain still.

Btw, this doesn’t harm your aim at all. I mean, at all. It’s like this with every shot, even monster shots. Have you never realized?

“remove the 3d pls it annoys me”

Using screen rotation is a good way to minimize this effect. Always try to keep your target at the top of your screen!

Indeed, as I play off-centered, I fully utilize screen rotation, often times more than I use my left and right movement keys.

This is totally me, and I think it’s been a detriment to my aiming whenever I try to aim in other directions.

Namely in shatters when I occasionally set my angle to default, and I actually have to put my cursor beside or behind me… oh gosh I shudder thinking about how bad the aim is.

But as Shatter said, changing this after 4 years of playing would screw me over. I’ve kinda gotten over the stage of ‘looking at where the cursor is’ and rely on the feeling. It’s instinctual now; I see where my shots are going and adjust according to that, not the actual cursor itself.

The only time when I consult the center of the cursor is for spell bombs, but I’ve never spell bombed behind me because I always use off-center. Aim for those crotches!

I can’t handle the drama in this thread :neutral_face:
Look, the distance between your shot and the actual hitbox of the shot (the shadow) is smaller than the size of any monster’s hitbox (the red is the approximated size of a monster hitbox).

So… this really doesn’t harm your aim in the slightest.

"k but wut if i aim correctlie but shot dosont hit"
That doesn’t even happen.

THANK YOU. I mean to be honest, if you are trained to have it not affect you, then you are a better play than I. As for me, I find the misalignment to be utterly frustrating, especially when I am not continuously shooting and need to only get a few shots in, like in clean tombs.

Well, if you are indeed missing shots you should just train aiming and monster movement prediction, because as I demonstrated the shots aren’t really that misaligned…

It’s not so much that. It is just a pain when your screen rotation is constantly in a different orientation and you are shooting intermittently so you have no guide as to where the shot is going, and there are slim margins for error, like in tomb.

How is that a… pain…?
This doesn’t even have to do with “calibration” as the thread title stated. Most shot hits. Besides, you are always paying attention at 3 (4) main things, that are your character, your opponent and your hp bar. I don’t get how you can be so worried about a shot hitbox, when it still hits 100% fine.

What is the sole purpose of a reticle? To tell me where I am shooting. Consistently. Does the RotMG cursor do that? No. Sometimes it tells me where I’m shooting. Sometimes it doesn’t. Ergo, it fails as a reticle.

You are acting like the cursor indicating isn’t broken. It is. End of discussion lol.

I understand you can get used to it or work around it, but that doesn’t change the fact that it is both broken and misleading.

I just edited my comment. It isn’t broken at all, dude. It’s called 3D.

I don’t know if you have ever shot a real gun or even a toy gun like nerf or something, but when you look down a set of sights, it doesn’t tell you where the shadow of the shot is going to be. It tells you where the actual shot is going to be. last time I checked, we live in a 3D world. Lol you could even pick any other video game you want. Same story. It is just poor coding.

Get used to how the game has correct object positioning in its space? Of course everyone does get used to that.

Work around what? It doesn’t harm literally anyone’s gameplay.

1. We are discussing a game, not real life;
  2. Where you click is where your shot hitbox is going and that is what matters because you are hitting the monster, period;
  3. Your complaints have no in-game practical basis.

To finish this, the whole game has shadows and floating objects. Breaking the whole pattern just because you feel like you suffer from an imaginary issue isn’t going to help anyone, and will make the game look ugly.

Enhancing the game’s appearance is poor coding. That’s right.

umm… just my personal experience…

i cant aim crap with katana/dagger/wand b/c of its shot patterns. As dagger i use etherite/spirit, as katana i would only use doku, as wand i basically dont use wand on sorc, and play as melee on priest, or use sprite wand [quote=“BaadGuy, post:33, topic:4404”]
imaginary issue i
[/quote]

some people have an issue with it, if you dont thats fine, but no reason to say it doesnt exist for anyone.[quote=“BaadGuy, post:33, topic:4404”]
Enhancing the game’s appearance is poor coding
[/quote]

why does this count as enhancing game appearance? why do bullets show up in the shadows?

There is no use in arguing, as it is clear that you have your mind made up.

I simply think that a tool should do its job, and this one fails to do so.

My final point is that clearly other players have noticed the discrepancy and found it to be enough of an issue that they commented or liked various posts/comments on this thread.

I can perfectly aim with my priest, even at long-rage (shake your mouse :wink:), because I practiced enemy movement prediction enough. No offense but that is just your aim. Refer to my second post here.

Well, tell me that the fact that the hitbox being the shadow is harming your gameplay and I will tell you that we are not playing the same game. It is obviously not an issue.

Because they have that floating, 3D aspect. Like an avian pet. Just like a monster’s hitbox is at its feet, shots hitboxes are at their shadow. Everything is on the ground, but height exists.

I am basing my arguments in facts. Feel free to contradict what I said.

As I said, you have no in-game practical basis for your complaints. This does not harm your aim in the slightest.

I understand that, it is terrifying to realize something is different than what you thought when you’re deep into the game. I, for example, panicked when I was with my old warrior in the nexus and thought my shots didn’t go to the right place. Then I realized that the hitbox was. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with some appearance tweaks when they don’t negatively affect your gameplay. This is why I didn’t create a thread about the “”"“issue”""" back then.

To sum it up, there is nothing to be fixed here. Move on.

yes… i did not want to participate but hence why i said this[quote=“Scorchmist, post:34, topic:4404”]

#just my personal experience…
[/quote]

why cant we discuss what we want? if you dont like it so much, you dont have to continue being with us idiots who cant aim.[quote=“BaadGuy, post:36, topic:4404”]
Because they have that floating, 3D aspect. Like an avian pet. Just like a monster’s hitbox is at its feet, shots hitboxes are at their shadow. Everything is on the ground, but height exists.
[/quote]

oh never realized that

and why are linking other comments? i have read everything.[quote=“BaadGuy, post:36, topic:4404”]
It is obviously not an issue.
[/quote]

its an
##OPINION

Where did I say you can’t discuss? I am discussing right now.

So, in your opinion, your incapability of hitting monsters properly is caused by the fact that the shots’ hitboxes are at their shadows?
If I read that correctly, you simply said that your aim is bad, and mentioned shot patterns. That has nothing to do with what we’re discussing about nor proves anything is wrong with aiming.

If, in your opinion, our current shot system harms people’s gameplay, your opinion is wrong.

your basically shutting down the whole discussion by saying people’s opinion is wrong.[quote=“BaadGuy, post:38, topic:4404”]
hat has nothing to do with what we’re discussing about nor proves anything is wrong with aiming.
[/quote]

when you have wider shots like pixie, you dont need to aim much, while with one shotted things, you need more aim.

why the fck am i still here…

i dont give a crap about your oppression of opinions.

If I hand you a pen and tell you to write your name down, you would assume that the pen had ink in it and that it would write when you put it to the paper. Any reasonable person would make that assumption.

If i hand you a reticle in a game, I think it is fair to say that any reasonable person would expect the shot, not the shadow, to be fired at the reticle. Especially considering that something’s shadow is a direct result of the lighting around it. Should the lighting change, the shadow’s position will change. Even in the context of realm’s “fixed light source” that generates these shadows, it makes no sense to place something so ephemeral and flighty at the apex of the reticle’s alignment. You are trading aesthetics for functionality.