Running smoothly but fps quickly drops in a matter of minutes

I apologise if it’s in the wrong category, this is my first time actually creating a new thread.

I will cut straight to the point. Rotmg was able to run at quite a smooth pace for me at a stable 55+ fps, even when in crowded dungeons. But just 3 days ago, I encountered a strange increase in fps drops. Basically when I log onto realm, the fps would still be high and smooth, but in just a few minutes, I would be receiving mini screen freezes (~0.1s) and soon, fps would be really low when around enemies. The strange part is that it only happens if I start firing, I get damaged or an enemy gets damaged. If I’m alone in an empty space and walk around, my fps is very high, but if I do any of the 3 bolded actions, I get lagspikes and drops in framerate.

I run a windows 7 computer on the latest firefox browser on Kongregate, my computer is an i3 (ya I know, I need to upgrade but I can’t anytime soon). I also have the latest Adobe Flash installed too. Additional info is that I have not installed anything at all, so it can’t be cuz of a program I installed since I have never installed any recently.

So here’s the main question, why does this happen, does anyone experience this too and what can I do to rectify the problem? I mean, my Minecraft can run twice faster than RotMG, which should already be pretty weird considering the former uses more graphics than the latter, so I want to know is there anything I can do to rectify the problem?

This is the correct category.

As for your issue, I’d suggest you have a look at my troubleshooting website.

https://sites.google.com/view/rotmgtroubleshooting

If you found this guide useful, please leave me some feedback.

Thanks man, I will test it out later and give u my feedback

I have the same issue actually. I was farming UDL’s for the event, and slowly and steadily, while i was clearing it, i got more lag, until finally, the lag was so bad, i couldn’t even hit the chest. Everytime i tapped A to go left, id go left for a good 10 sec. This is very strange.

Sounds like one of the symptoms of my lag, as it gets laggier, so do the movements.

Alright, so firstly, thanks for trying to help out with your guide Console, however, little to no change was observed. Alas, it’s probably my PC’s fault… still, I wonder why it was able to run flawlessly for the first 3 days of my return to RotMG.

Anyway over here, you see my performance stats. As you can see, the FPS (marked by yellow pixels) is very unstable, with a lot of fluctuations. Memory went up to 117 in just 5 minutes. I suspect the cause is a severe memory leak, as 117 memory felt like 500+ memory. I just can’t wrap my head around why it suddenly became like this… :confused:

Sorry for what happened.

Assuming you have a Windows 10, there is an option to refresh your PC (reset settings to default, but keep personal files).

Try that?

Nope, I’m on windows 7

Did you try running a diagnostics scan?

https://sites.google.com/view/rotmgtroubleshooting/diagnosing-system-issues

Heya sorry for the late reply!

I just did it, and it doesn’t seem like anything is out of order.

That’s strange…

This is a long shot, but perhaps reseting your computer could do it?

Note that you shouldn’t reset because of a game. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea that’s true, I wouldn’t do that. Guess I would never truly know where this strange problem lies…

Can you please try this link?

Thanks for another guide!

However, I do not seem to spot any problems… The memory line is flat when no programs are on, and rises only slightly when realm is started. The line then stays at a constant line while my realm is on, realm on the other hand is experiencing terrible lag. When realm is closed, the memory line goes back to its original y-axis before and stays as a flat line.

It’s frustrating, it’s probably my PC’s fault somewhere at this point. Might have something to do with hardware (but if that’s the case, I should also be experiencing lag with my other games, but it’s only RotMG that I’m experiencing it in).

Guess the only real solution might be to get a new computer, but if you still think there might be a solution, feel free to comment. :slight_smile: Thanks once again for taking your time to try and help me

I’ll look into your problem.

Mind giving me info about your PC, such as RAM, CPU, etc?

I may have a possible solution, but I don’t want this possible solution to break your computer.

3.3 Windows Experience Index rating

Processor: Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M370 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~ 2.4GHz

RAM: 4.00GB

64-bit operating system

No antivirus? Download hitmanpro and run it

Find Processors and update those.

My processors are up to date, though I havent tested it out yet… will do so when i have time

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.