Sorcerer, in need of buff?

Sorc is fine, absolutely no need for buff. He can compete for loot in every scenario (assuming cwand obtained).

Anyone using pure “DPS logic” to argue sorc is worse is overlooking important factors such as sorc’s higher speed stat putting him in a position to do the actual hits sooner than the 50 spd classes, and pierce giving more opportunities to score hits on target.

Re. fulmi, I don’t think making tiered sceptres do slow is a good idea since that would be a nerf across all enemies, same as curse was, just making everyone around you able to kill things easier.

But IMO they should make the Honey Sceptre from Hive also do slow, to match the Honey Orb and to give players an alternate route to accessing a slowing sorc.

I agree that anyone with the right whites can compete for loot, but not enough people played the sorcerer

It’s like the necro, it was fine before the buff, but not very many people picked him, because the wizard was clearly better in most situations. I don’t want to argue with a white star, but he sorc needs a buff so more people pick him and it becomes a popular class, like the other 13 classes. I’m not suggesting anything over the top, look at my first post

[quote=“GlurbGoopy, post:41, topic:7482, full:true”]
And you are only talking about godlands performance, where both classes are about equal. In every other situation, the wizard is clearly better.[/quote]
There are many situations when Sorc is better. Anywhere piercing or range makes a difference. Piercing is useful against many bosses, such as Malphas, Septavius, Sthethno, Oryx, as well as many minions. The extra range is good against many enemies, especially ones that are hard to get close to such as most of the dragons, Tomb bosses in a messy tomb or when in rage.

And the Scepter is even more useful away from godlands, in dungeons where enemies have only a few hundred HP so die to one or two Scepter uses. Bats in the manor and sewer in particular, and the small sprites in Sprite World, all take just one Scepter blast.

I think that what makes the Sorcerer a less played class is the overall opinion that he isn’t viable without any UTs.
After the Crystal Wand became a Wand one just needed to have since it does overall higher damage at ridiculously low def values, outdamaging the Recomp at 26 def and onwards.
However, the piercing ability of the Recompense should not be discarded either: it is a way more useful secondary effect compared to the armor piercing, since it compliments the Sorcerer’s role of crowd controller.

Personally, I stand by the point that the Scepters need a damage buff. The MP/damage ratio is abnormally unbalanced, with 0,36111… MP per damage point for the Fulmi, and 0,425 MP per damage point for the Scepter of Storms.
In my opinion, the Fulmi should be more of a spam, low-damage Scepter that inflicts a useful status effect, while the Storms should be the powerful Scepter with a lesser spammability.
Even increasing the damage to 250 would make the Storms more effective than the Fulmi, at 0,34 MP per damage point!

But this is just coming from an unproffessional’s pov.

I think many people are forgetting that wands have been buffed multiple times. Wands didn’t always hit multiple targets. And just a few weeks ago I believe they buffed the damage on wands. Every class has specific roles such as offensive, defensive, and supportive. For example, Warrior is offensive, knight defensive, and paladin supportive. Sorcerer is meant to be an offensive class. The class is great for crowd control, and with its range plus the wand hitting multiple targets I think it is very balanced. Compared to a melee class, sorcerer doesn’t have to risk their life to get loot. It is very reasonable for it to have lower damage. My sorcerer was my best character ever where it died at 2k fame. It is by far one of the most fun classes if you have a fulmi, and fulmi is not that hard to come by.

the “raw DPS” argument of Wizard Vs. Sorcerer always appears in these discussions, but it doesn’t capture the whole picture because of an important difference that fulmi makes that frequently gets overlooked.

the sorcerer has an overwhelming advantage in accuracy that the wizard will never be able to compete with.

the “raw DPS” argument only holds if you assume both classes are landing every single shot, this isn’t even close to being true. between how slow the Wizard moves and the “double helix” pattern of staves, he misses many shots on enemies that can move, particularly ones that move in an unpredictable pattern. the Sorcerer on the other hand has the Scepter, which will never miss if your cursor is anywhere near what you’re trying to hit, and if the target is slowed it becomes immensely easier to actually hit it. on top of that, recomp pierces enemies, allowing you to keep doing that damage on many foes, hitting 3 targets at once is neither uncommon nor difficult.

I can kill most enemies with my Sorcerer just as fast if not faster than my Wizard because he doesn’t miss.

of course that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but there is definitely a major gap in the amount of shots I am able to land with Wizard and the amount I can with Sorcerer. this of course, is only true if you have Scepter of Fulmination. without it, Sorcerer is just as helpless accuracy-wise and the Wizard. the reason you don’t see a lot of Sorcerers about in the game is mostly because of various external, “meta” issues:

1. No one tells you about all this. there’s nothing in the game that tells you “oh btw sorc hits wayyy more often than wizard”, only that the wizard simply does more damage. fulmi just says that it slows targets, not that it makes them nearly powerless to dodge. you really just have to experience it to find out for yourself, and that’s not exactly convincing to most people.

2. Hacks. autoaim hackers don’t need additional assistance to get the most of their attacks, they’re using third-party software to cheat the system and make everything hit. for them, wizard is perfection. this entire post is completely meaningless to them. hackers are everywhere, even though they’re never going to admit it.

3. fulmi is UT. meaning you have to be fortunate enough to get one from all the labs you can run. some people aren’t equipped to run labs frequently, and they’re limited to a few a day.

4. people are skilled enough at aiming to not need the slow and just use wizard instead. it is possible to simply be just that good so you don’t really need it. (or you just think you don’t need it)

tiered scepters and/or the Sorcerer’s stat caps could probably use some tweaking to make fulmi less completely dominant, but for now if you have one sorc is very useful. (unless you hack of course, dirty scum :rage:)

The only spell you can hit with every shot is st. Sorcerer is extremely overpowered with a good pet, and maxed stats. Personally, I prefer priest, but you have to be shit at the game to suck at any wand class.

I don’t think you realize who he is.

Could you not?

Just link the thread, not realmeye.

k im sorry.

I deeply apologize for my rude actions.

Please forgive me.

Dazing enemies… but not as rare as QOT… no that would be too broken.
Instead of Daze, what about Paralyze?

Paralyze in my opinion would also be a bit strong and trolly.

it’s fine, just add a new wand and scepter and BAM
:ok_hand:

also, wis 60 --> 75 might be a good option. more spammable ability and consistency with the vit.

Yeah, and it wouldn’t make too much sense anyways… I’m thinking maybe some new effect, like what they did with Mystic (added the Curse effect just for Mystic)

after reading through all the replies I still stand by my original opinion. sorcerer is fine as is for the most part, not spectacular but fine. the vit is nearly useless nowadays bc of pets but I don’t think its stats need any specific buffs. a change to the sceptors would be cool but again as I mentioned the only thing I can’t imagine throwing it out of balance would be to give sceptors armor pierce. since they have relatively low damage per use it wouldn’t be a significant change to some but would give the sorcerer a little bit extra oomph to be able to reach soul bound in situations with a high Def enemy. this being a feature accesible for all and not just those fortunate enough to get a cwand would be welcome as it would make the class a little more appealing to newer players that tend to be loot oriented to the point of tunnel vision (such as exclusively playing warrior to optimize likelihood of getting soul bound in).

but I appreciate everyone’s thoughts. weird that so many people argued about sorcerer versus wizard tho.

sorry… I didn’t know…

As we were discussing god walls earlier, here’s how a Sorcerer deals with them:

For all the people who want a buff, I think I have an idea. Take the Scepter of Storms, T6 ability. It does 200 damage to 8 targets. This is my idea: If there is one target, the damages stacks. So if there is a chest, and no other enemies in range, then the scepter would do 1600 damaged. If there are like 5 targets, then each target would take 320 damage.
TL:DR: The damage would be split among all the possible targets.
200 damage to 8 targets, so 200*8=1600 total damage, split to 5 targets, 1600/5 so 320 damage.
1 target: 1600 damage
2 targets: 800 damage
3 targets: 533 damage
4 targets: 400 damage
5 targets: 320 damage
6 targets: 266 damage
7 targets: 228 damage
8 targets: 200 damage

that would be super overpowered. you’d have to like have it empty the entire mp bar and have a cooldown in order to even attempt to balance that. 1600 damage for its current mp cost with on debuff would be ridiculous. sorc would be highest dps class if you had a good mp heal pet.

ok cooldown like 2-3 sec good enough?