Theoretical question about 0 damage shots

Stupid theoretical question here.

You know how the pirates on the beach do zero damage to you once you’ve maxed def (or reached a certain amount of def)?

Suppose you’re at zero health and you get hit by a pirate. Would you die or not?

(Also works with the ‘zero damage’ shots that only inflict status effects)

I have some other random questions that I might as well throw on this stupid thread.

1. How much damage does it take to buff the Forgotten King?

2. What is the reason/psychology behind everyone standing on the LEFT side of bosses in the Shatters? (i.e. People stand left of the Sentinel, left of the Forgotten King when crystals etc.)

3. Why does dropping items stop enemies that have a set path? For example, you can ‘glitch’ the Forgotten King by dropping HP pots when it moves to the top after tentacles. Would this possibly work for the Archmage when it moves to/onto the Magi-Generators? (@Mrunibro if this works, it would have saved you the rage phase)

0 hp glitch
Question about Berserk, Weak, etc

I’m fairly certain the answer is no.

Depends which “buff” you’re referring to. You can mess with the Forgotten King’s behavior in all sorts of different ways because he’s a poorly designed boss. Assuming you’re referring to his initial vulnerability after the crystals are defeated, you can reach any of his later phases to mess him up. Guards, tentacles, rage, anything. I’m not sure of the exact thresholds for each of those.

If you’re standing to the left side of the Forgotten Sentinel, only one shot goes directly to that side and will hit someone, but I’m pretty sure two or three shots go directly to the right. It’s also just because of habit. That’s where people went when the dungeon came out, so everybody has been conditioned to do the same thing every time. As for the Forgotten King, the arena isn’t perfectly symmetrical, so the position of walls and lava is more favorable on the left.

I’m sure there’s some reason for this, but I honestly have no idea why. I assume it has something to do with the Forgotten King being a super delicate fight. You can’t see it in-game, but the whole arena has a bunch of invisible entities scattered all over to regulate different parts of the fight. It’s such a sloppy design, which makes it easy to screw up as you can see with the “buffed” version.

From what I know of, you shouldn’t die if you don’t nexus. Nexusing at 0 health kills you for whatever reason. For a buffed king, I’d guess it takes about 25,000 damage to buff him. Maybe less. People stand on the left of the sentinel because the left side always has to only tank ONE bullet, compared to the right side, where there’s always TWO bullets you have to tank to damage the boss, and they stand to the left of the king because there’s just a better wall structure so that the orbs don’t slip through the little bricks while you drag them. As for why they stop items are dropped in their path, it’s probably one of the game’s broken physics. I doubt anyone knows for sure. I have no idea if this would work on the archmage for the generator phrase.

0 - 0 = 0. You have to reach negative health to die. I can’t guarantee survival, but most likely you will survive.

Maybe because the tentacles go clockwise? That would only explain 3rd boss though. You enter the 2nd boss from the left and you go above the 1st boss, left of it would lead to death.

Not sure. Poor coding I guess.

Edit: Literally watched myself get ninja’d after reading through my post for embarrassing mistakes :frowning:

Thanks all for the responses to my stupidity :slight_smile:.

Well no shit xD. But what I was really curious about is the fact that the pirate shots originally did damage, and but the 85% threshold rounded the damage down to the zero. But I wasn’t sure if the game interpreted the shot as still a tiny bit of damage, since theoretically, the shot would be doing…wait…

Pirates do 4 damage. Def can only take away 85% damage, so the shot would do 0.6 damage. Wouldn’t this round up, or does the game always round down?

Yeah, I’ve heard of this before but never seen it happen. Seems like a fun thing to test with the tutorial turrets one day.

Huh, I’d really like a nice number but looking at BTEL’s solo here, he did around 11,724 damage and it didn’t buff (I manually recorded and totalled the damage numbers). So your number would make sense I guess.

Video

30 minutes 45 seconds
https://youtu.be/-P6FbPXrBXc?t=30m46s

I had no idea lol, whadya know, you learn something everyday ;).

Someone try this please! It works for the LoD Wyvern (saw it in a GHZD video IIRC?) and Puppet Master V1.

You can make the archmage not land on top of a generator by slowing it, so theoretically, you could bag it?

at least for the sentinel, you would take take a lot of damage if you stood on the right

From a strictly logical view, the answer is yes (at least one of the options is true).

Until you realize that you’ve been living a lie the entire time, and upon getting hit, enters a state of limbo in which the facets of reality and truth are blurred into a thin line of melancholy, fading, an infinite superposition of subsistence…

Did that sound bullshitty and English-like? I’m tricking myself to believe that I did good in my English diploma, coming out in a day D:

Well, when you have >0 health the pirate shots “round down” and do no damage, don’t see why that would change just because your hp is lower

HP is kept as a float value (a number with decimals)

The Health Bar converts to Integer numbers.

So, when you hit a HP float value of >0 <0.5 then your HP bar rounds to 0 but your float value HP is more than 0, so still alive

(it works with float value because vit doesnt work in round numbers. 1 vit =/= 1hp/s up after all

so you would be at your float value of lets say 0.1, and it gets stuck because apparently your stuff gets bugged once you get on this magical number

A pirate hits you. You take the damage, def reduction is applied, it comes out as 0,15*damage because enough def, so 0,15 damage

then the HP loss gets rounded as well. It gets rounded to 0. this amount is reduced from your 0.1 float value HP

0.1 - 0 = 0.1

its important to note that having your float value that is kept by the server equal to or less than 0 equals dead

Since a lvl 1 with 100 (. 000 ) HP will take -100 from a medusa, have 0 (.000) HP and die

oh there are 3 questions. well then

1. When you stand on the right (or south) of the forgotten Sentinel you take a stacked shot from his shotgun that sweeps left/right

As for the king, I would say it’s because there’s more space to retreat from over at the left wall than the right wall. the right side is a little more fucked up with lava being around. By that point it’s also been left= good all over.

the 1st boss titanums, the 1st boss, the place to start shooting birds (…)

1. For whatever reason, 2 Objects prefer not to be on top of each other. So when its coded to literally ‘‘go 7 tiles up’’ and something in its path is blocking it, it won’t want to be on top of it and refuse to go around cause its told to go up, not left or right.

The twilight archmage isn’t hardcoded to move to X tile, though. It actually works much like a magnet towards the Magi generator. I think it picks the nearest one, and the 1st is set in stone either because reasons or they hardcoded that one to take priority.

Anyway, if it runs into an object for this one, itll just try to go trough, not wanna and get pushed slightly left/right and go around. It’s allowed to left/right a bit so it’ll do that

imagine im the twilimage in this gif and i wanna reach where my mouse points. ill constantly try moving to it and ill end up like this https://gyazo.com/ff54f01588834910c826eb36f870a214

you can still bag him but it would take tremendous effort. you’d have to make sort of a one-way trap for him to run into. much like this https://i.imgur.com/jok09V0.png

p.s. I saved the rage phase in the 27-minute run :wink:

Actually pirates do 4 damage, so 0.15 * 4 is 0.6. SO would that kill you or nah?

Thanks for the stuff on question 2 and 3, rip the dream I thought I had come up with something new trying to bag the archmage ;-;

Now that you mention,

I remember watching a video where the archmage went DOWN instead of up, which was really fkd up.

If 0,6 dmg makes you take 0 in a normal situation my guess is they used a Math.Floor() function for converting to an integer HP loss, so then your ho decrease would still be 0 =/

As for the video with the mages going the other way… wew, link pls! I wanna see :slight_smile: My guess is they killed the target one so it picked the next closest, which would be up :astonished:

Actually, contrary to most of the people above, I believe you die. I’m not sure how it works, but I’ve read something a long time ago that said wearing cheater armor and taking a shot at lvl 1 kills you I think.

No, you woudn’t because they’re dmg is based on your def, and you need to be -1 to die

D: I forgot which video it was! I really wanna find it too, but so many damn videos on YouTube, I’m pretty sure that I found it while randomly surfing :confused:

I’ll try for another 10 mins before I give up.

Uniii I have another question!!

Why do the ice spheres ‘flash’ when you’re Darknessed even when they’re far away? Is that coded into the game to prevent instas? AFAIK no other enemies give you a warning that ‘they are there’.

Edit: @Mrunibro Ripp couldn’t find it D:

Other than this I think its easier to drag crystals to the back from left side too!

I believe that the Shatts is the only dungeon with Darkness in the first place, and ice spheres are coded like that so that you are aware that they’re there. Darkness basically despawns all bullets you can’t see, but the ice sphere will go at you anyway.