[UT staff idea] Moonlight Marking Twig

###Moonlight Marking Twig
Inspired by @DaGGerz and his Staff of Nightfall!
See it here: Staff of Nightfall [Hitscan weapon Idea]

Staff…"Projectile"

When Luna the Moon Goddess left Oryx, she left a piece of her to Oryx. Oryx, in turn, made this staff in the image of the one he missed the most.
Edit: Changed the projectile because when I was making the demo pictures, it looked like… something that might be offensive. Plus, this looks better, IMO.
####Stats:

• Tier: Untiered
  • Damage: 50-70 damage/shot
  • Duration: 0.4 second
  • Range: 0-cursor
  • Special properties: Shots pass through enemies, shots ignore obstacles, ignores enemy defence, 170% fire rate.
  • Fame Bonus: 5%
  • Feed Power: 350

####Drops From:

• Oryx, the Mad God 1
  • Oryx, the Mad God 2

####More info

When equipped and used, this staff spawns the above projectile spinning in its place where your cursor is. Akin to Void Blade, but it spawns on your cursor, not character. If there’s an obstacle or wall in your line-of-sight, you can’t “beam” there.
Illustrations:

The staff was inspired by the hitscan concept, and the fact that staves hit high-defense enemies for almost nothing. This gives staff users besides wizards some options to deal some damage against high-defense bosses. Besides, the limit is your view, so this theoretically has the range of a wand so I felt the need to limit the damage to about that range.

Here’s the DPS graph. The white one is the MMT.

Originally, I wanted to turn this into a wand Idea, with something similar to Aureola of Fire Emblem.
Pew, pew, Holy Smiting! Holy Satelite Beam!

But we have enough wand UTs, and the staff really has trouble hitting high-def enemies.

Without further ado, please sink your teeth to the imbalance of this UT!

[details=Coding Attempt]
upon Starting Game:
…create public LineOfSight Line = new LineOfSight();
…Line.alpha=0;

on the Update() function:
…if(weapon==MMT){
…Line.alpha=0.5;
…Line.Update();
…if( Line.hitTouch(Wall) || Line.hitTouch(Obstacle) )){
…Line.setSprite=(“SightSprite2.png”);
…Shoot = false;
…}else{
…Line.setSprite(“SightSprite1.png”);
…Shoot = true;
…}
…}

on the Shoot() function that applies on click:
…if(weapon == MMT){
…if(Shoot){
…create playerBullet bullet1 = new playerBullet(“MMT”);
…bullet1.X=mouse.X;bullet1.y=mouse.Y;
…}
…}

on the new Class LineOfSight:
…sprite=""SightSprite1.png;
…Update(){
…this.x=(mouse.X+char.X)/2;
…this.y=(mouse.Y+char.Y)/2;
…int wide=mouse.X - char.X;
…int tall=mouse.Y - char.Y;
…this.length = root(widewide + talltall);
…if(tall!=0){
…this.rotation = atan(wide/tall)180/227;
…}else{
…if(width>0){this.rotation = 90;}
…else{this.rotation = 270;}
…}
…}
These are not coded in any language. Just trying to put it in code form. I don’t even know if this is possible in game :cry:.
}[/details]

Update Log

Edit 1 & 2: Misspelling. Again.
Edit 3: Shrunk the projectile size. It’s not a ninja star.
Edit 4: Lengthened the duration of projectile from 0.1 sec to 0.4 sec.
Edit 5: Added more description, as well as the shot number.
Edit 6: Added illustrations as well as the Obstacle Clause, to prevent shooting from behind walls.
Edit 7: Changed the damage and rate of fire, to make it more unique. DPS didn’t change.
Edit 8: Changed the illustration and added the coding attempt. I swear it works on the preview.
Edit 9: The Hide Details now works! Hell yeaa

So just void blade for Wizard noice.
Maybe make the duration longer b/c it’s to short

I tried to compensate by giving it 200% rate of fire, to make this something like a laser beam from the moon.
If it’s too short, I definitely can extend it, say… 0.2 second’s pretty long!

So it’s 1 second or 1/10 second?

What’s up with the projectile being so big?

Right now, 1/10 of a second

Good point, I tried making it at the size of a ninja star. Might be too big of an area. I’ll edit.

Maybe extend it to 1 second 0.1 is just a blink of eye

That’s true, but when I tried using pfiffel dps custom weapon demo, it left a really long trail. Maybe 0.4, so there’ll be a little trail when you move your cursor?

Your choice

neat idea but why Aureola insted of the obviously best fire emblem weapon in the entire franchise

@BaraBlazer

I kind of understand the concept, but this would be insanely overpowered against a cluster of troops, seeing as how it doesn’t even consume mana like a skull or something. I would recommend just removing the “pass through enemies” if not obstacles.

Additionally, how many shots does this fire? If it shoots 2 shots the DPS table should look critically lower than what you’re showing us; if it fires 1 you need to drastically increase the damage per shot .

great another staff ill never use

you realize this basically lets us shoot through walls without hacks, right?

It only shoots 1 shot. I’ll add that info up there.
Against a cluster of troops, this staff still loses to a wand, though, and the AoE is pretty darn tiny… a shot is about 1 tile big, normally right?
It does have armorpiercing like the crystal wand, though, so I was hoping that we wouldn’t need to increase the DPS increase… I was hoping to use this only on high-defense single target enemies.

About the passing through enemies, I think you have a point there. However, the small AoE should compensate the piercing effect.

If say, priests and sorcerers can pierce as wide as the bullet as long as its range giving it an area of 9x1 pierced tiles, this staff has the area of 1x1 tile.

Ah. That, is a problem. I suppose when your line of sight is blocked by a wall to the tile you have your cursor on, this item won’t spawn the projectile?

To cheese from the programming part, maybe we can have an object that extends from the player to the cursor, one that doesn’t have any sprites, but is 1 tile wide and whatever-the-distance-the-player-from-the-cursor-is long. If that doesn’t hit a wall, spawn the projectile.

Will this help?
Edit: additionally, this should also apply to obstacles.

Really like the sprite. Does the staff act like a void blade?

@RainboFrug it’s more like a wizard spell that spawns just 1 projectile that doesn’t move… Okay, like a void blade, but you spawn it on your cursor, not character.

I don’t know what everybody else is shitting on, sprite, projectile, balancing, and item in its entirety is 10/10

Thanks, man! The process of balancing is tough love, but you gotta go through it to really ripen the fruit.
Your words, however are sweet treats on the other side of that love. Again, thanks!