Various item ideas, by Xaklor [updated with 2 new UT's]

I like the Stone Orb idea! My only gripe with it is that it does nothing like other orbs. Every other UT keeps some of the functionality of the tiered items, aside from (arguably) Ogmur and Ctrap, which are similar in how they’re activated.

I’d suggest that it Curses around the player when the key is released with the same duration and range as the Berserk. Additionally, I’d increase the MP Cost to 110.

Also,

“On group” sounds a bit weird. “On enemies” might sound better.

Oh, and the sprite is great! The extra part on the left side adds depth to it.

My rating on this idea is 7/10. It’s a pretty solid idea!

yeeeeeah well there’s not much I’m willing to do about that. the core of the idea is the key held effect, paralyzing enemies and yourself for as long as you can stand it. and the ability that comes closest to it is the orb, it doesn’t have projectiles and they’re used to manage enemies, so I made it an orb.

I almost didn’t even add the key released effect, because the important effect (imo) is the paralysis. but it really felt like it needed one so it actually used mp. (pets make mp drain type effects basically indefinite)

hardest part of the idea was actually putting together that effect. I actually considered curse, but I wasn’t comfortable giving mystic an orb capable of cursing but incapable of stasising. even if you never used the paralysis effect, you could just carry this around to curse everything. I don’t want to give that kind of power to a mystic without making them have to aim the tired ones correctly, that’s a lot of dps we’re talking about.

I considered a lot of potential effects, hp buff like a paladin, straight heal like a priest, speedy on self, damaging on self, curse on enemies, even the normal stasis on enemies. paladin and priest heals were tossed because of the lavawalking mystic implications, as well as the fact that the game has plenty of healing already. speedy was tossed because not only it was so simple, the key held effect negated the buff outright. damaging was tossed because that’s conflict’s job, and self berserk was tossed for similar reasons curse was. and stasis was tossed not only because the key held effect is supposed to be it’s UT version of stasis, but also because it would be far too easy to troll/mess up other players by paralyzing a mob and then deliberately/accidentally letting go of the spacebar to stasis it all.

the reason I settled on group berserk is that it’s still something normal orbs do to yourself, tying it back into its newfound orb identity, but I also made it affect everyone because without stasis to hold it back, it would be too easy to self buff all the time. and we don’t like it when warriors do that all the time, so why give that option to mystic? I know normal orbs do give that option, but they do so at the cost of needing to control the stasis field, and that’s enough justification for me.

well “stasis on group” is exactly what the orbs say in the game, but I can’t really change it since I can’t edit the op anymore

i feel like the orb would just like negate having a t5 just for beserk

um… you know that T6 orbs also give berserk, as well as having longer duration of berserk, right?

and as for that, T6 orbs and the Stone Orb have identical berserk durations. but the T6 orb still has the advantage of additionally throwing in curse, and only buffing yourself to help you get loot. the Stone Orb helps everyone, but that means things just die faster. it doesn’t give you an edge in comparison to other players since they get the buff too.

so not only do tiered orbs give you the option to be more selfish in attaining SB over other players, tiered orbs make you do more damage anyway.

so why would a typical selfish mystic use this orb?

they wouldn’t, and that’s the point.

alone, this is a very weak item. but if you work together, this is staggeringly powerful. think about it, nothing can move and the mystic doesn’t have to stop because it’s not being attacked.

this is a cooperative orb, unlike almost every other UT item in the game, because rotmg could use some more co-op instead of more solo.

I personally feel that the name of the spell doesn’t really fit how the spell acts. There really isn’t an easy way to make a pulsing animation but I personally feel the closest to it would be shots that erupt from an epicenter, and fan out like the shots from an anatis staff, keeping the projectile speed low would give it the effect of pulsating across the screen.

The current design would be more fitting of a name like “Ancient Spell: Return/Rebound/Ricochet”… you get the gist.

so you’re saying this is not a “pulse” motion:

but this is?:

I’m afraid I don’t follow. :confused:

No, that’s not the pattern of movement I envisioned. I would attempt to make it myself but I have absolutely no idea how.

So i have no idea how to work this thing [DPS calculator], and at this point I’m too tired and not tech savvy enough to try and make a visual. But the closest I can think of would be taking the shot pattern of an ep staff, and slowing it down closer to the speed of an anatis staff. It wouldn’t be linear bullets, but rather have a slow wobble to them. Similar to those winged gnome things in lowlands if their shots didn’t blast out linearly.

[Edit] I finally found out how to play around with it, something along this concept, where the projectiles came back to the epicenter. Gives an illusion of the bullets being filling the entire space at once, similar to a pulse such as seen in a bomb shock wave.

But I don’t know how to convert that into a .gif yet, so I exported it

[details=Here]
Equipment

lofiObj2
0x6b

Once the most powerful staff in existence; a crack in its frame has rendered it incapable of focusing fire. It remains uniquely deadly.
weapon/sprite_wand

Fire Missile

Staff of Extreme Prejudice

[/details]

I copied in your stuff and got this:

I still can’t understand how that’s supposed to be a pulsating motion, it just looks scattered to me.
I think I’ll leave it the way it is

When I made that, I envisioned the closest thing to a pulse you’d see on a heart monitor. It’s much more jagged, but I don’t think there’s a weapon that has such a sharp zig-zag as that. But what a pulse is, and what that represents outside of a medical contexts is apparently a very different thing for many people.

No biggy, I just put my opinion out there is all.

My interpretation of a ‘pulse’ like weapon is similar to what the bridge guardian does under his feet, where is one large circle of projectiles that expands until it reaches max range then disappears.
But the catch is the projectile starts at max speed but gradually slows down until it reaches half lifetime, then accelerates back up to speed at the same rate, creating a sort of shield of projectiles mid range.
Too bad the weapon editor isn’t advanced enough to do custom stuff like that :\

the thing with this thread is, i cant tell when you update your OP, since i dont read everything anymore :confused:

Since you cant edit OP anymore, will you make a new thread?

New orb is nice.

well that’s actually why I changed the title, for those who still haven’t seen the Holy Ray Spell or the Stone Orb.

probably not, I think I’m done with this for now.

the ancient spell: pulse sprite is dank

Alright, as the candy-giver, I would also like to go through a detailed review of each item, since this post is so popular.

Mini Trap

Simple, fine description, sprite is a bit small but I guess that’s the point.

Beware: Players won’t need to destroy their parents’ credit cards to perma-trap.

Interesting.

So some slowing? As I said, many players can perma this ability, and if you get a group of huntresses, everything will become really, really slow. Also, this seems like an upgrade to the T0 Trap.

Okay, that’s a good point.

Overall, this idea is really nice, but the fact that a group of not-so-experienced huntresses can make this overpowered makes me unsure about what this trap could do to the game. Please respond to this.

Time Bomb

Um…? Okay? I feel like that description could be better. The sprite looks great.

Pretty expensive compared to the Mini Trap.

So there is no effects to this trap, just the damage?

Ah. I like that! It’s unique and I can’t think of any problems this may cause. Cool!

Overall, this idea is great. Besides the description, everything is perfect and I understand your explanation.

Old Relic/Archaic Scepter

So I’m guessing you don’t know which name to choose? I like the Archaic Scepter better. Also, what’s up with that sprite? I know it’s supposed to be “old”, but I really dislike the darkness and blandness of the sprite. The shape is unique, which is great. But I just don’t like the colors at all.

It does.

So this is useful when enemies are near to you. Cool.

Overall: Simple idea, balanced. I just don’t like the sprite.

Timestop Quiver

The sprite is nice, these are good. Why do you use lowercase only in your descriptions?

OhhhhhhhhhhhhhhKay. Sure. Fine with me.

Where’d you get all that?

Ancient Spell: Pulse
Overall: A bit complicated, but from your explanation I can see it’s balanced enough.

Now everyone is like Ancient Spell this and Ancient spell that. Thanks a lot.

So I’m thinking this will be useful for stationary enemies. Cool!

Overall: Cool spell, I’ve seen a lot of boomerang spells but this one probably has the best sprites, and it’s pretty balanced.

Holy Ray Spell

So the closest enemy to your cursor when you press spacebar will receive ALL of the shots? That’s pretty overpowered. Plus, what if you are alone in the middle of nowhere in the realm and you use this and it hits this random Medusa miles away? And what if you hit a pirate and the spell kills it before all of its shots get used? You can come up with easy solutions to those, but please specify them in the post.

Overall: Spell is a bit complicated and I guess I don’t understand the concept of it.

Stone Orb

http://gem5.com/tag/clear/

Overall: I saw the math and I gave up.

I already gave you a candy so screw you

just in case you weren’t aware already, that already happen with T0 traps. this would be comparable to spiteful scutum over colossus shield, you can just do it for slightly less mp.

also continuously hitting the same target over and over again with traps is harder than it sounds.

extensive digging and searching, as well as some things from memory from actually playing rotmg[quote=“Cenamuch, post:59, topic:4685”]
So the closest enemy to your cursor when you press spacebar will receive ALL of the shots?
[/quote]

yes that’s the point. this is the one spell that doesn’t hit everything, it only works on one guy. with normal spells you can easily wipe out a mob of many minions with the normal wide spread of the spells, this one not so much.

not only is that extremely unlikely, I don’t see the problem with it. the Holy Ray Spell only has a range of 13, which is actually less than normal spells. even if it did kill a medusa way out of sight, it would just take the damage kind of like how normal spells occasionally hit enemies away from you.[quote=“Cenamuch, post:59, topic:4685”]
what if you hit a pirate and the spell kills it before all of its shots get used?
[/quote]

then the other shots are just wasted, simple.

I promise it’s not that complicated

ouch

I’ve refrained from passing judgement on these for a long while :3
That is alas because I’m really not too keen on them :c

Some, for example the Time Bomb and the Old Relic, appear to be designed to occupy an obvious empty niche, nothing more, nothing less. And that’s not bad, it just doesn’t strike me as particularly creative. Others succeed here - for example the Holy Ray spell - but kind of do so in the face of practicality. Explain it well as you did, I’m not sure I’d personally bother to swap out with that particular spell - insanely cool though it be! That’s not to say that others wouldn’t :3

The Mini Trap fills me with a sensation akin to glancing at a pretentious artwork and immediately clocking the supposedly difficult message behind it. It is literally a concept manifest. Contrary to your explanation, I personally feel that the very existence of the T0 trap invalidates this as a UT; you say: [quote=“Xaklor, post:1, topic:4685”]
the entire point of a tier system is to make previous tiers inferior to the higher tiers
[/quote]

And create an item ‘outside’ of the tier system to combat this. The niche is both existant and filled, and though I fully understand that, logically, there should be no situation in which T0 beats T6; I feel like the problem lies more with the way traps work more than the tiers.

The Timestop Quiver strikes me as a clunky QoT alternative. I know this is slightly missing the point, (and with non-piercing I know that I’d actually miss the point every time I used it!), but again it just seems to go against the grain. And I’m so sorry to be petty, but to me that additional +1 feed power pyschologically diminishes the gravitas of the 1000. And do capitalise item descriptions! And while I’m at it, it might be nice to crop the grey off the sprites and add some shadow. The sprites themselves are okay on the whole, no glaring horrors :3

The crowning glory of this is the Stone Orb. It’s a genius, original idea! Such a novel way to keep a class’ ordained function while keeping it distinct from the tiered abilities is something I personally need to learn from, rather than slapping on a whole new revolutionary playstyle. Although I dare suggest that this, along with the Holy Ray spell, might be better and more original because they were designed later, after you had absorbed some initial critiques?

As with everything, there is still work to be done. Although you have already more or less proved your extremely high potential, I just thought I’d voice my opinion. In other words, I’m not sure this is really my sort of style. Not to deter anyone! :3

fair enough, here’s some stuff I have to say in my defense however:

you might not have caught this, but the holy ray spell is actually far more powerful than any other spell. if anything it’s overpowered because the ray formation makes it easier to hit all of the shots while still retaining the heightened power.

well would you prefer 999 or 1002 more? I’ve noticed that since the reign of kabam, everything in the game has been in multiples of 5 or 10. I like to ignore that particular convention when possible just because I can. what’s the point of having 100 numbers between 1 and 100 if you only use 20 of them?

I prefer to keep things simpler where applicable, in this case it helps to mask whatever additional lore I may come up with at a later time, as well as to add a simple feel to a simple item.

you mean like this?:

I didn’t bother with them before because at the time I wasn’t sure if I actually liked them or if they were going anywhere anyway, so I saved myself some effort.

why thank you! at a glance it may look bizarrely complex but in practice it’s an extremely simple item, yet glaringly powerful and unique. I like to avoid adding unneeded complexity to a game built on simplicity, so I’m very pleased with how it turned out. the stone orb by far is my most creative item idea yet, and I’m not sure if I’m going to top it anytime soon, if at all. [quote=“Puffagod, post:61, topic:4685”]
Although I dare suggest that this, along with the Holy Ray spell, might be better and more original because they were designed later, after you had absorbed some initial critiques?
[/quote]

that had honestly never occurred to me. if that is the case, the effect was so subtle not even I noticed it