A Harder Final Boss: Oryx the Unbounded God

During the last phase on the Oryx the Mad God 3 (Oryx the Exalted God) boss fight, Oryx the Mad God will be at approximately 5% HP and taunt, “Despicable mortals! A single realm freed is meaningless! Millions more remain in my grasp!” If any player types in the chat “hard mode” (case insensitive), then the following will occur:

Definitions:
Phase - A particular attack.
Evolution - A new set of phases or elements added to the arena when reaching a certain HP threshold.

Beginning

Oryx the Mad God’s name will change to Oryx the Unbounded God and his HP will restore to full. He taunts, “Hahaha, too easy eh? I’ll show you.”

Evolution 1: 100% HP

Oryx the Unbounded God will have standard phases (minus the desperation or ‘celestial’ phase) and the room will turn back to normal as if you first entered the arena. He does double the damage from post-exalted, but carries on like normal. Oryx the Unbounded God will taunt, “Your equipment is bound to your soul!” Players will be unable to swap out their current equipment with anything in their inventory for the remainder of the fight. If a player tries to equip an item, it will play the out of mana error sound.

Evolution 2: 80% HP

Oryx the Unbounded God will taunt, “My dominance extends through out the universe!” He spawns 6 invincible Portals of Oryx (post-exalted) in which its phases last twice as long. These portals remain for the entire fight.

Evolution 3: 60% HP

Oryx the Unbounded God will taunt, “Dance, DANCE, DANCE!” He spawns 16 Bomb Artifacts like normal, but this time these bombs deal 50 AOE damage (additive). For example, if you get hit by a bomb for the first time, it will deal 50 damage. If you get hit by it again, 100 damage. Then 150 damage, 200 damage, and so on. Subtract this damage from your defense for the total damage. These artifacts remain for the entire fight.

Evolution 4: 50% HP

Oryx the Unbounded God will taunt, “My power is UNBOUND!” The room transforms back to the white room with all phases having post-exalted effects.

Some phases are slightly different:
"Accept your fate! - Oryx runs to the nearest player and stays glued on the right side of their screen, firing the same projectiles as normal.
"Fleeing is futile" - Oryx spins twice as fast and shoots double the amount of projectiles, but they travel 4 times as slowly.

New phases:
"Splendor! Splendor! Splendor!" - Oryx throws 1 bomb into the air that comes down after 6 seconds dealing 7,000 damage worth of armor piercing damage in a 6 tile radius.

Evolution 5: 40% HP

Celestial phase is normal. After this phase, the following applies:

• If the Messengers of Oryx are not killed at the same time, they regenerate their HP (Pentaract property).
  • The Bomb Artifacts reset their damage count back to 0 and deal a smaller AOE (1 to 2 tiles radius).
  • The room is applied a permanent armor broken debuff.
  • Celestial phase can occur after every phase (10% chance).
  • Holy beams occur at random.
  • Mana regenerates 50% slower.
  • Oryx the Unbounded God teleports after every phase.
  • Oryx the Unbounded God never resets back to the middle after any number of phases.
  • Oryx the Unbounded God is cannot be staggered.
  • Oryx the Unbounded God will counter if he receives just 1 HP of damage during his guard animation (pets and abilities do not count towards this damage threshold).

Some of the phases are slightly different:
"Gaze at my power, for it shall be your last sight!" - Instead of targeting the nearest player to fire at, Oryx shoots all around him in a clockwise pattern.
"The cosmos shall rain down my wrath upon you!" - Meteor showers will fire triple the amount of projectiles radially and go twice as fast outwards, with no range limit (if it hits the wall it disappears).
"Melt before my fury!" - Oryx teleports three times on top of players. The first two times he teleports, he does nothing. The third time he teleports, he shoots 90 bullets radially 17 times in 2 seconds, with unlimited range and moving twice as fast as normal.

New phases:
"All mine to control!" - Oryx fires two hit-scan, unavoidable, untelegraphed, unlimited ranged, armor piercing, player piercing, green lightning strikes at the player who has the most distance on Oryx. Does 400 damage. The lighting strikes are similar to the ones from High Tech Terror’s laser beams, but with amplitude.
"Strafe you meaningless frontiersmen!" - Oryx fires a line of bullets aimed at a random player per second.

A major change occurs within the fight. There will be an array of preemptive taunts before calling the phase taunt. For example, if Oryx is about to taunt “Accept your fate,” he will taunt a random taunt from the list of taunts to change it to “Meaningless whelps! Accept your fate!” However, these taunts stack up as new phases come in. The actual taunt of the phase itself will be jammed somewhere in the middle of the string of taunts. For example, if Oryx is on his 3rd phase after his 5th evolution, a possible taunt in the chat could be “Mindless brutes! Miserable mutts! Accept your fate! Meaningless whelps!” If Oryx is on his 40th phase after his 5th evolution, a possible taunt in the chat could be “Mindless brutes! Miserable mutts! Lowly pigs! Defiant scoundrels! … (20 more taunts) Accept your fate! Meaningless whelps! Defiant scoundrels! (13 more taunts)” This change makes it harder to determine the next phase and strategy in time by pretty much spamming the chat with useless, unintelligible taunts. A really good raid leader would have to sift through the useless text to find the actual phase that is about to happen.

Evolution 6: 20% HP

Oryx the Unbounded God will taunt, “The heavens are mine to command!” There will be 6 types of holy beam array combinations:

1. Holy beams start from the left side of the arena and go to the right side of the arena.
  2. Holy beams start from the right side of the arena and go to the left side of the arena.
  3. Holy beams start from the top of the arena and go to the bottom of the arena.
  4. Holy beams start from the bottom of the arena and go to the top of the arena.
  5. Holy beams start from a ring on the outside perimeter of the arena and work their way towards the center point of the arena.
  6. Holy beams start from the center point of the arena and travel outwards, radially to the perimeter of the arena.

New phase:
Celestial MK 2 - Same as regular celestial, but:

• Oryx fires twice as fast, moves 4 times as fast.
  • Random holy beams are replaced with the meteor showers from cosmos.
  • The pet stasis portals only shoot radial shots, but move to the center and back as they rotate with 4 range.
  • Heavens holy beam array (pattern 5 and 6) alternate, effectively causing a boomerang from the center to the outskirts every time.
  • This phase lasts 4 times as long as normal celestial.
  • Bomb artifacts travel to the middle ring of the arena and now have 4 tiles worth of range.
  • Messengers of Oryx spam a straight line of projectiles towards the nearest player.
  • Oryx does not get staggered, but instead guards.
  • This phase has a 1% chance to occur after every phase (additive). After occurring, the chance resets back to 1%.

Evolution 7: 15% HP

Everyone in the room gets instantly healed up to full health. All previous phases and projectiles disappear. The Messengers of Oryx are invulnerable. Oryx the Unbounded God will taunt, “PARSE! PARSE! PARSE!” He will then apply an instant-damaging AOE, covering the entire arena. This will hurt the player once for 800 damage. Oryx the Unbounded God will taunt, “You’re still alive? You really are strong.” The fight continues and Oryx has no death animation. Oryx will just die when he has 0 HP and play the No, this cannot be! sound effect.

Death:

Oryx the Unbounded God will disappear, but not before spawning a huge array of slow-moving radial projectiles similar to the Marble Colossus death animation. These shots travel outside of the room for 30 tiles and then boomerang back to the spot where Oryx was slain before disappearing over a span of 20 seconds.

Loot

Oryx the Unbounded God can drop either drop a white bag (30% chance) with 4 times the loot as normal, (say 4 Divinities for example) or a guaranteed yellow bag (60% chance) with a mark and 1 soulbound potion of wisdom. The white bag can also drop any untiered item from any of the minibosses.

Hypothetical new items for untiered loot:

• Cross Necklace: A ring which gives the player 3 frames worth of invulnerability after taking damage.
  • Divinity MK 2: The same as Divinity, except the instant holy strike beams fire as fast as the player’s dexterity.

What do you think of this idea?

• Good
  • Bad (comment below as to why)
  • Needs Improvement

0 voters

Ngl I don’t know why am I doing this to myself to comment this and its probably a troll but I’m bored and feel an urge to go AAAAA
so instead of pointing out how bad it is, I’ll point out how inconsistent it is.

Lets start off with the “Hard mode” activation…
Raid: Ok bois we doing an O3
Crasher: “hard mode”
ORYX REGENERATED BACK TO 3 MILLION HEALTH

Ngl this part was a thing I experimented with in dungeon design but it was too griefable.

Evo 1. No swap outs. Well thats one way to make no one want to play it among your 20 trillion

Evo 2’s “phases last twice as long” that is actually easier in most senarios than harder. Imagine if you get outer rotations, that is just free damage. One of the main stresses of O3 is how much fast he switches phases.

Evo 3. Lag moment. Don’t we all love Dance phase where its nothing but annoying as shit.

Evolution 4: Haha insta kills are good design.
Fleeing buff actually seems interesting lol.

Evo 5: Celestial phase is Normal. Imagine not buffing the easiest part of the fight.
Also man thats aids.
Good luck soloing it now cos oryx messagers will never die.
Bomb artifacts carry onto Exalted
Perma-armor broken aka how to not make melees want to do anything
Mana Regenerates slower, don’t worry pet mana isn’t gonna get affected!
1 HP of damage during guard. that one stray slow bullet that is fired due to reaction time being 0.1 sec and the projectile is being fired already before the animation

Slashes got nerfed lol.
That cosmos would be fun, imagine if it did Furies right after
1530, 560 (x2 damage + exalted) damaging, armor pierce going at 22 tiles/sec and unlimited range. Every 2 seconds
Making it 8-9 radials in a singular second.
Ngl something not even I can come up with.

Hit scan, Unavoidable, Untelegraphed, Unlimited Ranged, Armor Piercing, Player Piercing, Aids Inducing, Pain Playing, Oryxning, Greening lightning, Creative, Smart, yeah I don’t know where I’m going with this other than “haha take 800 damage for no reason”.

Mindless brutes! Miserable mutts! Lowly pigs! Defiant scoundrels! … (20 more taunts) Accept your fate! Meaningless whelps! Defiant scoundrels! (13 more taunts)”
Man someone cares about looks more than gameplay.

Evo 6: THERE WE GO THE CELESTIAL BUFF LETS GOOO
Double Damage, Armor Broken, More bullets, Cosmos, Pet Stasis nerf, More Beam Walls, Bomb Artifacts, Messager of Oryx that literally walls you in that can’t be killed cos good luck trying to kill them at once while doing so much shit (Italics are stuff that carried on from previous evolutions) AND EVEN AFTER YOU DO IT HE IS GUARDED because doing such a hard attack does not mean you get to have some room to damage the boss.

Evo 7: F if you get sicken countered.

Side note: Theres a good chance this might not even happen since it says “new phase” but its not forced.

Death: LOL GOOD LUCK TRYING TO DAMAGE HIM BEFEORE HE JUST EXPLODES KILLING U INSTANTLY cos that explosion would take up at least half the arena.

Loot: 1 soulbound wisdom
or a guaranteed yellow bag (60% chance)

Random facts:
Did you know
None of the new original attacks (buffs do not count for this) implemented has status effects.
All the new original attacks literally only focus on 1 behaviour only.
Splendor = 1 bomb
Controls 2 = 2 Lasers
Strafe = literally random lines of bullets

Overall? GOOD DESIGN!!! I’ve never felt more of an urge to question why do I even try in game design anymore.

Love it finally some endgame content that isn’t the same old o3 or shatters

Thank you so much for your feedback! I didn’t realize how much damage this boss actually did until you pointed out the numbers on cosmos. I hope DECA takes notice and implements these controversial, yet interesting game design elements. Might edit some things later based off your comments. Ty again.

Phases of the portals, not Oryx himself btw. In case you didn’t notice, during the O3 boss fight, the dominance portals have different phases themselves that shoot a few patterns depending on where they are. If the portals are in the middle of the arena, they shoot outwards. If the portals are in the middle-ring of the arena, they shoot either outwards, inwards, or both (instapop portals). If the portals are in the outskirts of the arena, they shoot inwards.

This is probably a troll. I’d like to include the lore detail that when Oryx is in his celestial phase, he is formally known as Oryx the Unbound God.

no

I tested it out real quick.

Seems balanced enough.

This is an E.Y.E knight’s wet dream.

No pre ep noob

/j before people get overly mad

I’m confused why didn’t you dodge the shots

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.