A quick question on what can be used for the idea catagory

I was wondering if the usage of footage from Pservers (that showcase your idea) would be allowed, or would that still be against the rules?

Edit: This has been resolved and I’ve removed the GIF for the reasons below.

I’m no expert, but I wouldn’t see anything wrong with a video representation of item/enemy function of you intend on posting it in ideas.

I think the main issue is openly “advertising” any PServers, or something along those lines.

that’s a good question. I think it’s okay for an idea showcase, but maybe the other leaders/mods feel differently.

definitely don’t name the pserver though, and you probably shouldn’t include anything that would allow anyone to find it based on your gif. consider cropping it to only include your character and the projectiles, that would also help avoid ID-ing the pserver.

Alright thanks!

The server is actually my own “server” (more of a glorified skeleton of a sandbox), and I never set up anything for people to connect or find it, only myself. So I’m pretty sure it’ll be fine.

ᶦⁿᵇ⁴ ᴵ ᵃᶜᶜᶦᵈᵉⁿᵗˡʸ ᵍᶦᵛᵉ ᵒᵘᵗ ᵐʸ ᵖʳᶦᵛᵃᵗᵉ ᶦⁿᶠᵒʳᵐᵃᵗᶦᵒⁿ ᵃⁿᵈ ᴵᴾ

Joke aside, I’ll make sure to not break any rules or do anything dumb so I don’t get banned off the face of the forums.

I think a larger concern is that you even have this “sandbox” in the first place, as I suspect it’s based on pserver code. Even if you’re not advertising for a specific pserver, you’re still showing others that they exist in the first place.

[Yeah, yeah, I know, by this point it’s common knowledge and everybody already knows where to find one… OB]

I would argue that as long as you don’t speak about any basic information of the server, and you don’t either intentionally or accidently detract from the original point of the post, it should be fine. As the intention of the footage would strictly be a visual demonstration of how your item, enemy, dungeon, etc would work.
As for everything else, I can agree to some extent, as I like this forum and would rather not intentionally/unintentionally break rules just because I feel like I’m right.

Edit: Miss spelling ;(

Last Edit: I completely understand and respect the decision that’s been made. I’m just glad I got a solid answer to what I was curious about, Thank you @moderators. (By the way, I’m removing the GIF for the reasons below)

The mods/leaders have discussed this and come to a general agreement.

Let me begin by reminding everyone that pservers etc. are indeed a ToS violation. With that in mind, making use of utilities that are based on pserver code (even if you’re not advertising a specific pserver) is still sort of advertising what they’re capable of, and that’s a grey area that we’d rather not allow. Please understand that it’s a bit of a slippery slope, eh?

There are other utilities out there that are either Deca endorsed (the draw tool, etc.) or independently coded (Pfiffel’s utilities, etc.). Please make use of those, instead.

</thread>