Addressing Discourse formatting changes

am i supposed to put this in ideas LOL idk where else except maybe community hub. in any case, the templates from ideas as well as probably some other templates need to be updated, as # doesn’t appear to work anymore.

the current template

##We’re encouraging full and complete ideas on the forum.

proposed change to the template

<font size=4><b> We're encouraging full and complete ideas on the forum. </b></font>

We’re encouraging full and complete ideas on the forum.

and that’s pretty much it lol

It just needs a space after the ##

This broke in the last update to the forum, but I think it is “supposed” to have a space so it’s only gone to what is normal markdown now… I think.

So
## We’re encouraging full and complete ideas on the forum.

=

We’re encouraging full and complete ideas on the forum.

But yes, it does need fixing. Where is it? On a forum thread?
I can see if I have the permissions to edit?
Oh I see, it’s a template that automatically appears when a new thread is started in #ideas . Will need @moderators intervention to get that updated.

oh
did the discourse update affect that? .-.

Yeah I think it might be called “hashtag_protection configuration variable” from about 2 minutes trying to search on Google for why it broke.

It seems more standard to require the space in headers, so that headers and hashtags don’t get mixed up with hashtags becoming more prevalent now than in the past.

#upset turning into

upset

Sadly, I don’t know Discourse or the forum configuration screens well enough to fix this. I’ll have to defer to @Doc or @Stupidity.

[Really, though, I don’t get why people don’t just format in native HTML. Typing <font size=-2><i>text</i></font> really isn’t that tedious. #ormaybeitis OB]

i mean it’s more of a problem of newer users joining the forums, particularly in the ideas section. they might think it’s normal to see a bunch of #'s there

[###I ###certainly ###understand ###what ###you ###mean, ###but ###I ###don’t ###know ###how ###to ###fix ###it. ###OB]

[Let me tell you a story. I saw this comment and was prepared to respond, but immediately had the urge to take a jog. I went outside and was blasted in the face with 15 mph winds. Yet I persevered, and before I knew it, the wind was gone. ‘What wonderful occurrence!’ I thought. Little did I know that it was just an omen for what was to come next. It was halfway through, and I was preparing to head back, when suddenly, tragedy struck. It was a single drop of rain. I ran as fast as I could, and made it home thoroughly exhausted. I came back to my laptop and edited this comment yet again, and only now do you realize that you forgot a <i>, which allowed me to steal your formatting! Mwahahah!]

[NOOO, THIS CANNOT BEEEEE! OB]

It’s in the Edit menu when viewing an entire category.

This has been fixed everywhere I can remember there being a template.

Personally I prefer markup. It’s a lot faster to type on mobile, is becoming/has become common around the net so a universal text formatting system is easier to remember, and doesn’t require laypersons to learn HTML, as easy as it may be.