An idea to fix spambots

Spambots are really annoying, especially for new players that just start up the game. Here are my ideas:

• Disable chat in the nexus
    By disabling chat in the nexus, the player would not be overwhelmed by the huge streams on messages when they first enter the nexus. This can be toggled in the settings.
  • Improved spam filter
    The spambots usually dodge spam filters by using different letters or numbers in place for any other letter (like 1, l and I), so the filter can check if the spambots are dodging the filter.

Disabling chat in the nexus is a bad idea, bots can be made to go into realms rather easily. A better spam filter is a plausible fix, but could also interfere with legit players.

yeah but the catch is, at this point, I really don’t care. Making it so you can only see 10 star above text also interferes with normal players but it’s worth it because I get around so many damn bots

Ignore them.

Theres constantly new bots and I’m too lazy to ignore them

Disabling chat in nexus? LUL rip trading servers ;-;

They could do some sort of chat cool down, it would affect trading a bit but it’ll be alright.

I saw a red star spam bot… 10 star requirement wouldn’t help.

With any spam filter change, the bot messages will adapt. They’ll just get more and more creative at evading the filter, and a lot of time will be wasted trying to play catch-up (with the amount of time you’d be spending trying to patch the spam filter up to catch every last exception you might as well just hop onto nexus and ban all the bots in sight with that time instead).

I think that some form of in-game chat moderation would help this issue (if there were some people who at the very least were able to log on every day and ban or mute some bots), but I don’t know how feasible that would be in practice (and maybe they are already getting banned regularly but there are just so many being made).

It’s another of our friends that have fallen in the hands of the dark side.

I feel like just blocking anything that says the website and forcing rwt sites to get new domains is a very good fix.

Can’t we make it so that typing the same message as the previous one won’t be possible? Or am I overlooking something, like can they alternate between messages.

I think it already does it to some degree, limiting the amount of times you can spam the exact same message (to 2 I think), if it was any stricter, we’d get our normal chat affected, eg. not be able to answer “Yes” twice in a row, or call “Abyss” twice.

Yeah, if it negatively impacts normal gameplay it shouldn’t be done. nvm…

I often suggest new players visit www.realmeye.com. A ban on all websites would be a shame.

I mean any rwt websites found will be placed in the spam filter, forcing the owners to spend money on a new domain. Rinse and repeat.

‘A’ red star spam bot. Imagine if you could ignore one bot and that’d be it, instead of a new bot per minute of each hour of each day, in the nexus or pming, much less logging on at the beginning of a day to hordes of them in all nexuses…

I don’t think it limits the amount of messages, because I still see people spamming, and there is USW2

I don’t think that’s possible once all of the obvious spam filter dodges are patched up. There would be no other possible way to dodge the filter since you can’t use special characters.

With the popularity of trading servers, deca could make it so 1 or 2 servers don’t have the ban. And as to people who say that the spam filter will block normal players, just make it so all forms of RWT names are banned. A bot is only for 1 website. So if they can’t say their names, then they’re useless