Anime Discussion Thread

100% would agree

but how the fuck did nagisa only grow 1 cm in 7 years lelxd

yo hows everyone doing, finally decided to watch some anime.

overlord season 2 was kinda bad it didnt get anywhere.
season 3 was pretty decent.
reading LN, decent although lto of unnecarry text, but has more of a story.

cells at work is amazing. love it.

finished golgo 13 having only 2 episodes left before.

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu is trash. 3/10 and dropped it.

actually anything with the word isekai in its name is usually trash.

sirius was okay.

although still kinda disappointed that i havent seen any deep and very interesting shows (with exception of cells at work) these last few years. like im talking on level of serial exp lain, ergo proxy. neon genesis, etc. (mind you that i havent actually finished any of them). or any shows that are just plain amazing, the only amazing shows these days are if you like opish shows like overlord, which i dont really count as it being a good show but rather one with many people like that style of show.

rant begins:

okay, so boku no hero is not that great. But the publicity and ranking it gets insane. like i dont get what’s so good about it, its not bad, but its not great, sure it has a solid story, decently solid characters, character progression, but the genericness is through the roof. They also try to incorporate too many characters. The story is predictable. The MC is annoying as hell (also stupid). Like its a solid story at probably a 7-8/10, but constantly people give it 10/10 for some reason?

You said it yourself: it’s the next big generic shonen anime. It doesn’t need to do anything outstanding as long as it’s competent enough in its execution. It doesn’t need to win you over because it’s made for a demographic younger than you.

ehh, i mean i guess that’s generally true. but I’ve also seen a lot of people older than me that enjoy it alot.

l also enjoyed the big shounens quite a bit, but … how do I say it. just isn’t as good as the big shounens despite the big shounens generally having many flaws. Boku no hero has way too much focus on the side characters, I guess generally people like that since they are making the whole cast 3d? The emotional impact compared to something like naruto isnt as strong. The message isn’t as strong as Fairy Tail. It’s not as humourous compared to most shounens. It just isn’t as good as anything compared to naruto or one piece.

And with all other shounens, at least the mc is likeable (we dont count sakura/sasuke). The people’s backstories are lame compared to something like One piece. The side characters are not as memorable as them either. Like bakugo seemed like an okay character, but you just get tired of his non-stop ragging, it would be okay if he had a really good backstory with it, but to sum it up its pretty much just that he is jealous and arrogant.

What emotional impact though? The only emotion I can remember feeling was boredom after trudging through hundreds of chapters with still no end in sight.

What message? FT’s just a huge disjointed mess.

Do you have an example of what a character like this with a good backstory would look like?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t even watch or read BnHA. I just don’t see how it’s significantly worse than any other basic shonen out there.

Bakugo is essentially fueled by his hate for the main character. He basically hates the mc because mc looked up to him

So he’s basically Sasuke without the emo brooding or the bullshit familial clusterfuck.

How is that not an improvement?

Welcome back!

Uhh I can’t compare Boku no Hero with any longer shounen as I haven’t watched/read any, but while I don’t have a bad opinion of it I can see where you’re coming from.

The entire show from the characters to the way it’s narrative is structured makes it seem like it’s following a carefully constructed formula, and that makes it somewhat predictable.

Wouldn’t say it’s any worse than others though, but again I can’t compare. Like RMG said it’s aimed for a younger audience and older audiences liking shows made for a younger demographic isn’t really anything new.

In other news, started watching anime more frequently for the first time in about a year.

Half way through Asobi Asobase and lmao wtf

you know, given the plot of the show, i only just now realize what it’s trying to say when the characters spout their “power of friendship” and “love is magic” lines…

friendship is magic

ft is lowkey my little pony but without the ponies and some badly animated violence.

it is hilarious. the show is a series and each episode is like a book of that series. each episode builds on the jokes from previous episodes and makes the entire show that much funnier. from hanako’s stupid face to olivia’s bad odor and bad english, the show is just funny.

This and other variations of “Friendship is POwer” is bullshit and should never be pursued as the core theme for any work of literature. it’s so overdone and not true AT ALL.

Is it just me or is this season looking really bad? Tried out a bunch with the Mrs and absolutely nothing made us want to keep watching. Actually, most of them we’re going to avoid.

This fall 2018 season?

… what else?

SpRiNg

Oh hey post 1000 too

@Doc /s

I guess if I were in the southern hemisphere? :man_shrugging: Japan is northern so I’ll say “fall, of course”. Or autumn, if you prefer.

I see people say that every season, for once I actually agree.

I haven’t tried anything yet but nothing really even looks interesting, I usually end up overlooking stuff though…For now there’s just a couple sequels I’ll be continuing to watch just for the sake of completion (Jojo, Magical Index, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO)

Wait sao is still going? They really flogged that dead horse

The first 3 seasons of the anime only cover 6 volumes of the light novel. The total number of volumes is at least 20, and on top of that there’s also SAO Alternative.

SAO’s not going anywhere.