Anime Discussion Thread

I’ll agree to some extent, personally I liked season 2 because I’m usually more of a slice of life/no action kinda guy so it was refreshing. (Not to mention the fact that season two’s opening theme is one of my top 10 SONGS to listen to and is the only anime opening/foreign song on that list)

The disjointed feeling between the seasons was frustrating, season 3 really confused me but I think season 4 is clearing it up. I hope.

Thing is, that’s not the anime fucking up the adaptation: even the manga is like that.

They spend a really long time dawdling around before actually telling you what happened during the time skip. And the worst part is, they don’t really do anything with it.

Kaneki got his ass beat so hard he got amnesia and then got brainwashed into becoming an Investigator. That’s it. I don’t even feel bad about spoiling it because it’s obvious from the start.

The time skip is only here to justify introducing new characters and switching the point of view from the ghouls to the investigators. The situation overall hasn’t changed all that much and all the characters who were still alive before the time skip haven’t changed all that much either in the meanwhile.

That megagay. The anime doesn’t even come close to even explaining what you said. I thought maybe I missed an episode but all they allude to is some kind of brainwashing. Only explanatory scene is his view when he’s on an operating table for like .6s

yeah i didn’t watch the anime, i read the manga. I actually looked back to the original at one point to see if i really skipped something?

i mean i dont understand why give the mc amnesia? did they feel like nothing could be done with him any more but wanted to continue so they started on a fresh slate?!

Amnesia is just such a bad thing to use, it just destroys all character development that was made.

They needed him to stay alive because actually killing off the main character and replacing him is a risky gambit very few manga authors dare to make. They also wanted to switch the perspective around and make the series focus on the investigator side (which, by itself, was a smart idea all things considered).

And I guess they wanted to make it ambiguous whether Kaneki had survived, or part of him was grafted onto someone else, or he was truly dead. Problem being, in the end it’s 100% clear that it’s really him and he really just got amnesia, which is just disappointing.

They totally could’ve gone for another Rize type situation, or gone with the “good side clone” or just straight up killed him and I would’ve appreciated it :\

i mean they could just end the series

spoiler of end season 2

didnt season 2 end with this ambigious ending? i think that would honestly be the best place to just end the show. But they decided to pull another SAO/Death note.

even if they wanted to continue, probably a different view point would’ve probably been better. But i can see how the appeal of the unknown kaneki- like person can be used

Tokyo Ghoul: RE spoilers

I read the manga a few months ago, the story turned into a complete mess and TBH I completely lost track of what the end goal was by the start of the :RE. Not even the MC himself even knew what he was trying to accomplish, in fact by the end he barely made a difference at all lmaoo

Also, it’s laughable how immortal they made Kaneki

MRW

Found this interesting recommendation list:

Seems like a good list to me, it’s not like most of the ones I see that are filled to the brim with mainstream stuff. Although I think the guy who made it struggled with making the categories as a lot of them don’t really fit.

Think I’ve watched about ~1/4th of them maybe a little bit more and at least heard of ~2/3rds, most of which I’ve heard good things about - I’m probably going to check a lot of the rest out eventually.

Thought you guys might find something you’d like in here

Yeah, he put sports anime in “Art”, animes like Baccano in “Historical” even though there’s nothing historical about them (being set in the past=/=talking about historical characters and/or historical events), Madoka in “Magical girls” (does the guy hate children or something?), “Crazy action” probably should have been named “Action comedy” and what is the cutoff supposed to be between “Classic movies” and “Movies”?

However, I think the worst part about this is how he just throws Gundam and Macross on there without specifying which part exactly he’s recommending. Gundam has more separate series than most animes have episodes for fuck sake.

This seems to indicate that he’s just recommending names he’s seen on other people’s “favorite anime list” or something without having actually watched them. There’s no way anyone can watch something as long as Gundam without thinking some parts were better done than the rest.

hmm

i mean it is. better than cute girls doing cute things

what i find weird is that romance is like all movies, i mean i only recognize three, and all three are romance. Like toradora! and other classics dont seem to be there.

some are kinda weird. He/she has a movies category, but lots of other categories have many movies.

And why the fck is hikaru no go/chiha under art? Bakuman shouldn’t be under art either. Its at isnt that great. This category is probably one of its weakest, there any many goods ones but most here is not that good or average.

nichijou should be under comedy instead of cute girls doing cute things

2000 aethetic seems like a weird category. serial and tex should be under psych adventure. I think neon should also be under psych

gore is a weird category, seems like a little branch off horror.

Also CGI category is kinda weird, do people actually look for those?

I think he purposely chose small categories since something like shounen or action has too many things to include

100% agree, nichijou was great lol in terms of how much it made me smile

Madoka magica literally is a ‘magical girls’ anime. lol

haha literally all the edgy anime go here along with Made in Abyss Ep. 10

Separating them in categories was a mistake from the start because there’s going to be a lot of overlap and shit that doesn’t really work.

Not to mention some animes are almost impossible to categorize. How do you even describe something like Animatrix or Genius Party with these categories??

The entire point of Madoka is that it’s not a normal magical girl anime and doesn’t have the same target audience.

Is OPM not a shonen?

… wat

“One Punch Man is a shonen, therefore it’s okay to show horribly depressing gore to little girls.”

how does this even begin to make sense lol

I’m trying to argue that OPM and Madoka Magica are both subversions of their respective genres (Shonen/ Mahou Shoujo).

What a straw man argument.
I’m not saying that it’s ok to show it to little girls; I think you don’t know what I mean by the “magic girls” genre- An anime in the magic girls genre has girls that can perform magic. Madoka Magica fits that to a T, it’s just that Madoka Magica is not purely a magic girl anime- it has elements of horror as well.

Just because Madoka is not a standard magical girl anime does not mean that it should not be classified as such.

do they have large breasts

boi
I tried to find an anime equivalent but couldn’t

44262546_594539091026764_3950767117954973696_n
guess what I just found

what defines a cat girl?

I could literally just stick two ears into someone and tada! a cat girl!