Anime Discussion Thread

me too. i enjoyed it. i only really remember the main plot, but not the side characters.

i think it means that powerpoint is like an animation but monogatari always has all these boys:

Thatā€™s an interesting take on the meme, itā€™s true but

this is true art

I didnā€™t realize how much Iā€™m attached to those powerpoint slides :sob:

Where and How do I watch Love is War

Time to watch my 3rd anime

Alright, I have a question for you guys living in the US.

Letā€™s say, hypothetically, that Funimation no longer exists. Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

(I donā€™t watch US dubs so I wouldnā€™t know)

Just do it
Itā€™s such an easy show to get into and like

Bad thing?

A very, very good thing. US dubs are awfulā€¦granted some of them are actually fairly well localized. The Dragonball dubs on the better side and the JJBA dubs on the godawful side for example. :hibiscus:

o_O

Indifferent. Never found a dub I preferred to a sub.

I just have this mental image of anime=subs.

I have heard that the dubs for panty and stocking/ Cowboy Bebop are superior to their sub counterparts, however.

what yā€™all think of opm s2 3 i cant count

honestly its not as bad as people (me included) expected

OPM S2 is not too bad TBH

Itā€™s just that OPM S1 was so good

Stopped reading the manga after a while. Itā€™s really well-made but it didnā€™t look like it had anywhere to go and was just going to be more of the same.

sorry meant s2 legit cant count

It would only be bad if people couldnā€™t pirate anime anymore. nobody really watches english dubbed anime as opposed to japanese dubbed anime. pretty much everyone i know in real life pirates anime, so if funimation no longer existed, i donā€™t think they would care, so it wouldnā€™t be a good or bad thing.

i beg to differ. US dubbed anime isnā€™t as bad as everyone makes it out to be. obviously, dubbed anime isnā€™t for everyone, but itā€™s not bad. i feel like people who watch subbed anime make it seem extremely terrible, when it really isnā€™t.

how bad is this, really?

Pretty bad. The voice acting is pretty stellar. I just donā€™t feel like it fits.

yeah i realize this is a month late but retrospect is always a bitch. opm 2 spoiler alert ig up to ep 9

extremely disappointed by s2. jc staff did an above average job with the animation, but the same can be said about a lot of the anime this season and last, and also remember that this is relative to the standards of the industry and not actually good shows - otherwise, itā€™s very average. reading the manga definitely gives a different perspective on it.

what gave season 1 impact was the incredible animation throughout its runtime. you can tell that effort was put into every scene because of notably less still frames and idle exposition. hell, genosā€™ intro literally parodied that. nothing out of expectation for madhouse, but still incredible work.

the season itself was fairly well paced. each episode went through about 2-4 manga chapters fairly consistently, and you can tell that madhouse tried its best to stay true to both the tone and impact of the manga.

fast forward to season 2 and you see they abandoned all of that. they effectively pull the same gags and fail to put emphasis on scenes that in the manga represent a shift in tone/theme, such as snekā€™s internal monologue or saitama saving suiryu. other character arcs with ā€œminorā€ areas of development like bang and bomb seeing an injured charanko are not given the same level of respect as they are in the manga. hell, instead of going with some actual high budget animation instead of the mediocre shit up to that point, they made elder centipede cg. are you fucking kidding? the first dragon-level threat with the most potential to be the most epic, and instead jc staff fucked it up with a blurry background, a poorly rendered cg abomination, to the overall effect of feeling slow, where in actuality elder centipede is fast, powerful, and the most daunting enemy up until that point (or at least how itā€™s supposed to be set up). they really rush through supposedly awesome scenes, and season two gets progressively worse with this. hell, garoā€™s defeat of golden ball in the manga is what cements his cocky and adaptable personality, but even forgetting the animation, the fucking voice acting sounds monotone. compare garoā€™s face in the manga to his face in the anime and you will see what i mean. the entire s2 lacks personality in this way.

this all points to the core issue of the pacing being far too fast. in 9 episodes, they have gone through more manga chapters than season 1ā€™s 12 episodes. they absolutely blazed through the fight festival and moreover concurrently started garoā€™s arc and the monster association arc, repeatedly switching between them multiple times per episode, while the manga dealt with this by mostly dedicating blocs of chapters to certain arcs and only doing rapid switches where they were actually appropriate.

lets set all that aside for now and even just look at the opening, because a lot of season twoā€™s problems are reflected there as well. for a relatively short intro, the pacing of the opening feels warped and poorly thought out, with mostly static frames and literally dedicating almost all of its runtime to character introductions. seriously, this is stupid. they took monster king orochi, who was supposed to have been built up for a while, whose introduction to metal knight should have been one of the most impactful moments in the seasonā€™s run, and stuck him in the fucking intro. are you fucking kidding me? instead of having a unique and beautifully animated scene that madhouse gave, they literally cobbled together a bunch of repeating gifs and images and overlayed the op song onto it. so there you have my take on season two. half-assed in every aspect, too little emphasis where there should be emphasis, and barely even trying to stay truly faithful to the source material, in contrast with season one which pulled all the stops to do exactly the opposite.

They used King Crimson too much, OPM S2 is kinda BS.

JC Staff needs to take a fucking break, but NOO, theyā€™re jumping straight into Danmachi S2. Pity, I was expecting good out of Danmachi S2.

Itā€™s getting close to 60 days and itā€™d be a shame to see this thread close so BUMP

Havenā€™t been using this thread in the last few months, still being a weeb though. Thereā€™s a lot of good shows airing this season, so this is the first time in years that Iā€™ve decided to watch.

Iā€™m watching ~23 (including some OVAs/shorts/movies ect. also why am I doing this to myself) shows this season but some of the better ones that arenā€™t sequels are:

Any thoughts?