Anime Discussion Thread

basically what RMG said, i would watch it, but beware, it gets less and less interesting. Not going to say more.

ehh, meh, mainstream[quote=“CristionoR, post:123, topic:535”]
Attack on Titans.
[/quote]

too overrated, my friend read the manga and says it sucks.[quote=“CristionoR, post:123, topic:535”]
Black Bullet
[/quote]

eh… not that great[quote=“CristionoR, post:123, topic:535”]
Steins Gate
[/quote]

good but overrated[quote=“CristionoR, post:123, topic:535”]
Code Geass
[/quote]

pretty good[quote=“CristionoR, post:123, topic:535”]
Black Lagoon
[/quote]

i guess if you like action, and less plot

All anime sucks :3

so you’ve watched all like 10000+anime?

and think all of em are bad? :3

But seriously, the enjoyment value is still there with all of those shows.

Also a lot of people would argue that Steins Gate isn’t ‘overrated’ at all, and while I’m not one of those people, the overall opinion of it is very high from what I’ve seen.

i feel like the top movie/anime rn is pretty overated, it has a concept that has been used lots of times. Its good, but not number 1 good.

The top anime? You mean on MAL? Kimi no na wa (Your name). I mean, like I said before MAL rankings doesn’t mean much, most members aren’t critics, they rate solely on their enjoyment. So I’m not surprised Kimi no na wa is rated so high up on there. But even so this film has been getting crazy good reviews on…everywhere, even has a 97% on rottentomatoes and 8.7/10 on imdb, also taking #1 in the Japanese box office.

Spoilers warning to those who haven’t watched it:

It’s exactly what you’d expect from a Makoto Shinkai film, visually stunning romance film on ‘star crossed lovers’. which is all I’ve seen him make actually… But yeah sure, the film wasn’t perfect. Not sure if I’d count using a previously used concept as something to go against it. Yes body switching is a trope, but I’ve never seen a romance told through using it before, getting to know each other to the point of falling in love just by living each others lives. and the way it was tied together with the theme on dreams was neat.

For the other aspects of the movie, the art as expected was absolutely stunning (I’m not much of a judge for sound but I don’t think there were any problems in that department).

The story had its problems, like…plot holes (just don’t think too hard about the time travel)…and it felt somewhat rushed around the first part of it (feel like it should have been stretched out a bit more, than just having a montage of them living in each others bodies), then midway it goes from a light hearted slice of life comedy to a darker drama which apparently lost a lot of people who thought the drama felt a bit forced. And the characters had a lack of development, particularly the male main character (I forget his name) who didn’t really have much of a personality at all.

I went into this film with no expectations, and since I wasn’t expecting much it blew me away. I can ignore all of it’s shortcomings I enjoyed it more than I should have. I don’t like to throw the term ‘overratted’ around. but I agree that its not the ‘greatest masterpiece of an anime ever’ (exaggerated) as some people have made it out to be.

true[quote=“Shu, post:133, topic:535”]
like…plot holes (just don’t think too hard about the time travel)…and it felt somewhat rushed around the first part of it
[/quote]

that. Also, felt confusing at times.
i personally think this could’ve been a 12 ep anime.

i was super angry when gintama’ or whatever pasted FMA:bro, b/c i always thought of fma was the most all rounded. I have never heard of ANYONE saying that FMA:bro was bad (besides a joke), yet i have never heard of anyone, fanboying the anime. It has basically everything, the only thing i lacks would be romance.

And then a comedy beat it!?!?!

So ofc i tried watching it, im currently on like ep 80-90 something, its pretty decent, but some things are just soo fake. The sterotypical characters. Ahhh! i havent watched all of it, but i dont think it can match up the FMA:bro.

As for My name…ehh… nvm i forgot

First of all it’s SAO, and it can be considered both good and bad… To be honest it was my first anime so I still like it… but it has a lot of bad things such as random perverse moments and Kirito being op as fuck…

the thing with SAO is, if you’ve watched not that much anime, you’ll like it alot, the more anime you watch, the worse it gets.

Absolutely true…

Is Toradora worth to watch?

Yeah we talked about Gintama a few times already on this thread, it’s a very nonsensical comedy that won’t click with everyone.

Hmm, alright lets talk Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

The remake of Fullmetal Alchemist, which was very popular and original, Brotherhood however stayed on track with the manga. The show is one of the few anime referred to as a masterpiece, and that gets an immense amount of praise with the Western anime community (no idea how popular it is in Japan).

I watched the original, then the remake sometime last year, and really there are things I like and dislike about both series. But there were still a lot of things that I felt didn’t live up to the hype in FMAB.

To start off, the pacing for the first part of FMAB was terribly rushed, they cut so much out of it including important scenes and it got to the point where they started relying on plot convenience to save time.
For example:
When they found Dr. Marcoh in Fullmetal Brotherhood, he was literally walking past the train they happened to be on, Dr. Marcoh then refused to talk to them, and for no reason at all decided he can trust Ed and gave him the location to the notes on the philosophers stone.

While in the original they did it much better, Ed and Al were searching for rumours of philosophers stones and because Dr. Marcoh used his stone for healing, they eventually heard about him and tracked him down. Following that they saved Dr. Marcoh from the army/scar, and he goes into detail about what happened in the war and decides to tell Ed where his notes on the philosophers stone are.

FMAB unlike FMA was more plot driven than character driven, which isn’t a bad thing, but it focused a lot less on Ed and Al, that’s also something I feel the original FMA did better, as it went a lot more in depth to their relationship. The amount of characters in FMAB I found I didn’t really care about most of them, a lot of them were kind of just…there. they didn’t have an impact on the story at all. Some characters like May seemed to be there for a singular purpose, hers being Als forced love interest (she fell in love with him on sight. there was no real connection there).

The story itself seemed like a bit of a mess to me nearing the end. I don’t even know what was going on with that random zombie attack (the transmuted body army that started killing people). And the climax of FMAB seemed somewhat anticlimactic to me. After father makes plan thousands(?) of years in the making a success, he got to the point where he held the power of god and could even easily make a miniature sun in the palm of his hand, only for his plan to instantly be foiled as he loses all of his power. Yeah they apparently planned months in advance to the day, a preparation we didn’t get to see, or really get to make sense of… still didn’t sit right with me. But the actual ending of FMAB perhaps felt more complete, with a short after-story that left it on more of a happy note than the original series did, it was a nice way to end it.

I may be picking at it, but don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot more they did right that I’m just not mentioning, and I still very much enjoyed the series (in fact I rarely dislike one), one of the great ones, but still not perfect

Here’s a question about something I never really got in the series:

One of the more interesting characters in the series was the dwarf in the flask (aka. father), but what was the dwarf in the flask actually? We know he came from Hohenheim apparently, and he conveniently had the knowledge of immortality, but that’s it. The question on what he actually was, or how he came to be was left unanswered, kind of wish they went into more detail about him. Can we assume he somehow came from out the gate. as he looked like the beings from in there? Thoughts?

If you don’t mind tsunderes and like romance anime then you would probably love it.

Though in my case the main female character was a bit too much for me, I felt it went beyond the tsundere personality and I just thought she was an incredibly shitty person lmao.

hmm, i wouldn’t know, i only watched like 6 eps of the original

True, FMAB did have some weaker characters. [quote=“Shu, post:139, topic:535”]
still didn’t sit right with me.
[/quote]

well i dont remember the end so… might have to rewatch it one day. [quote=“Shu, post:139, topic:535”]
dwarf in the flask actually?
[/quote]

oh my… your testing my memory skills…[quote=“Shu, post:139, topic:535”]
Thoughts?
[/quote]

sorry…watched it like 3 years ago.

I guess ill have to watch the original and bro again/1st time. The main reason i dropped original, is that from my memory, it was waaaaaaayyyyyy toooooooooo sloooooooooooow.

To be honest, I’ve watched a lot of animes now and all the recommendations I got ended with or had “Toradora” and it started to piss me off after a while because all the recommendations had the exact same anime which look like something I’d never watch…

I still think Golden Time is the best rom com anime I’ve watched… but people seem to like toradora… better >.> and always give anime exactly like that one

weird, i rarely get toradore from anywhere…

I usually get like …Gintama…or something that i’ve already watched

Idk… maybe its the type of anime I watch? I ALWAYS get Kaichou wa maid sama, toradora, and the ‘My Teen Romantic Comedy’ thing

Seen them both. Toradora is slightly better, imho. MC girl is less manipulative, which kinda turned me off to Golden Time.