Any way to add a personal signature after every comment/post?

Sort of like the quirky little note @OtherBill puts after each of his comments. Would be a dandy little feature as I’ve seen it on other forums.

Either that or it does exist and I’m unaware!

[I’ve caught on. JB]

RealmEye Signatures

Good HTML. And copy paste.

But why put something in every single post to intentionally disrupt the conversation?

Have you ever been standing around in a group of friends, and there’s that one guy who always has to talk about his hat?

You: Hey, man did you catch the Lakers game last night?

That guy: Oh yeah, but did you see my ballin hat?

You: yeah, bro, that’s definitely a nice hat. I was there when you bought that hat. Do you think the weather will be nice enough for us to have a picnic this weekend?

That guy: I heard it’s supposed to rain. But did you see my ballin hat?

You: aww man, is it really gonna rain? Molly was going to make those awesome cupcakes.

That guy: word. But did you see my ballin hat?

Why do you want to be that guy?

If this forum would support signatures, what would be yours?
Forum Signature

wat
Did I use the wrong term, or you don’t understand what I mean by signature? Do you even know the context in which I want to use a signature? See: OtherBill.

Anyways, either answer my question or don’t post, right?

Scrolling through comments can be a huge chore when they all have a signature attached, especially when the signature is bigger than the actual post. That’s what he meant by disrupting the conversation.

Except that’s not a signature, it’s a comment. He also adds it when he edits other people’s posts, it’s a habit he took back when he started moderating the Kabam forums.

Similarly, when you talk about signatures you also remind people of the Kabam forums, when people would put huge fucking banners at the bottom of their posts.

We considered it when the forums were set up, but decided against it. They just take up space and people have to skip over them to get to the next post, and in that context they detract from the flow of the conversation.

When the forums were opened, people asked about them and we explained this, saying we’d be open to revisiting that decision depending on public feedback. It’s been six months, and I think you’re only the third or fourth person to ask about them, so I think it’s safe to say most people don’t really miss them.

If you want some personalization, that’s what your user card and profile image are for. People can still view them—but only if they want to—and they don’t get in the way of the conversations.

[Besides, all of my quirky little notes are typed out by hand each time, it’s not the SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN. OB]

Signatures would not work well with realmeye forums, because our thread design is discussion and progression focused, displayed in the form of a constant stream of conversation, which like RMGnoob said, would inhibit scrolling greatly due to the dynamic size and linear nature of Topics. A debate between two users both with intentionally placed signatures could reduce the efficiency of scrolling by something like 50% during the course of their conversation.

Signatures work well with the phpBB format (eg. Kabam forums and most other gaming forums) because

• their threads are divided into pages with a fixed number of posts per page (doesn’t make scrolling inefficient),
  • posts are more user-focused (existing functions to customize areas within posts, like a signature area),
  • and their features and design aspects allow for more complex visual elements without making the interface more confusing (whereas the realmeye interface probably needs to stay simple to support long-scrolling topics and maintain some minor animations).

Sincerely,

That’s what I needed. I guess I used the wrong term then. Sorry to anyone who got flashbacks or whatever about the old Kabam forums, that was not my intention.[quote=“RMGnoob, post:5, topic:7085”]
Similarly, when you talk about signatures you also remind people of the Kabam forums, when people would put huge fucking banners at the bottom of their posts.
[/quote]

Not the choice in mine either.[quote=“OtherBill, post:6, topic:7085”]
[Besides, all of my quirky little notes are typed out by hand each time, it’s not the SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN. OB]
[/quote]

Of course you have to type the messages out, but even the [sup] text and your initials with it too? Gee, OB, you really do put lots of time into your posts :slight_smile:

good gravy no need to be so aggressive, I’m sure he knew exactly what you meant and was still pointing out its flaws.[quote=“JoshBros, post:8, topic:7085”]
Of course you have to type the messages out, but even the [sup] text and your initials with it too? Gee, OB, you really do put lots of time into your posts :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I mean, he is a moderator… additionally although he is super tight, there really isn’t a need to copy billy boy with the notes at the bottom. yes, you are.

But hey imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Now i really regret adding a note that I wasn’t trying to be mean, but hey, if I was in stu’s place, I would feel fine getting the same response because it didn’t answer my question at all :confused:[quote=“MrLoaf, post:9, topic:7085”]
I mean, he is a moderator… additionally although he is super tight, there really isn’t a need to copy billy boy with the notes at the bottom. yes, you are.
[/quote]

I didn’t actually plan on copying OB, but just seeing his tiny comment format afer every post made me wonder if it’s automatic or done by himself. From there I realized that I hadn’t seen a signature-type option in this forum, as I’d seen in other forums. [quote=“MrLoaf, post:9, topic:7085”]
But hey imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
[/quote]

Indeed. Not my goal here, however.

Of course I do all of that by hand! That’s how you know I care!! :heart:

[Oh, and it’s not merely <sup>, it’s <font size=-2><i>   OB]

No, I would rather not say “if you don’t answer my question, don’t respond at all”. If the comment is on topic, discussion is generally a good thing in a forum. In my original response I perhaps could have repeated or elaborated @edwardidk’s response, but I don’t think my post was inappropriate and I would definitely prefer for other forumers to not be treated in the same manner.

But I do have to have thicker skin than that in order to be a decent participant here :wink:

I guess I found your response aggressive and tended to respond in that manner. We cool now.

P.s. you might find the useful

But did you see my ballin hat?

Please make this your thing omg i love it

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.