Arena of the Mad King: Making a RotMG Inspired Game!

Hey folks! I had a development diary thread on here dating back to October, but I forgot to post on it for months so here’s a better one. Anyhow, I’m working on Arena of the Mad King. A game that combines the vibe of both RotMG and Touhou (a Japanese bullet hell game series that my friend told me about!)

Play the game from the website here:

DISCORD (I post stuff and chat with you here all the time):

aotmkcover4_c_m

Some screenshots:

Looks too scary? Don’t worry, there’s lots of difficulty options, and the hitboxes and gameplay are carefully designed around the bullet hell vibe :wink: I just like posting screenshots of the hardest difficulties because bullet patterns mesmerize me.

More posts soon!!

I remember a few other RotMG spinoffs. They died off quickly. What makes this different?

single player - it also recieved a decent amount of attention on release; it’s only really a rotmg spinoff in terms of the screen rotation, i haven’t ever seen that in a bullet hell game

A neat little Unity game! I hope to one day get that same Touhou bullet hell feel in a multiplayer setting!

completely different gameplay and mechanics besides dodging & rotating screen, simplicity, non-mmo, cooler bullet patterns, small scope, I’m casual about making it & don’t care to feel obligated, absurd amounts of fun (from what I’ve head) for this tiny-pre-alpha-I’m-calling-a-beta

if I don’t continue it one day, no big deal, not everything has to be done or released bigger better things come into people’s lives

I remember seeing this before, glad to see its still being worked on!

Looks and feels great, movement like realm with the exception of the hitboxes feeling compact without taking away from the game. And the difficulties are a very nice touch, since I can barely get the bosses to half health on madness lol. the bullet patterns, unlike realm, are actually readable a majority of the time, along with having clear gaps for evasion, even on madness.

Fantastic job overall, looking forward to future development :smiley:

Don’t know how this will work but I tried doing a gif and I think it turned back into a video

I think imgur links are good so I will try having a few older gameplay videos I had on imgur

With the summer months my more summery hobbies have been more of a priority than this one, just posting a comment here so the thread doesn’t get locked out like my old one

If you get locked out, you could always @ the moderators on the General Chat thread, for future reference. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.