[ART] Working on new class idea part one: New weapon type, flails (Updated in newer post)

Flails%20forum%20picture

Hi! I’ve been working on this for somewhere around 10-15 hours. I’ve made all basic tiered flails as well as 2 untiered ones. I don’t plan to end here though, I will make an ability, more flails and a character skin. I will also make stats and projectiles, although I don’t have good ways of testing things, I’m not a modder and I use MS paint, so it won’t be perfect.

Here’s also unfinished art of the unfinished character: Viking

Viking%20forum%20post

Name ideas for the flails:
T0 Makeshift flail
T1 Reinforced flail
T2 Simple flail
T3 Flail of a general/General’s flail
T4 Bronze flail
T5 Blue steel flail
T6 Ice flail
T7 Mithril flail
T8 Jade flail(not set on it)
T9 Flail of a tyrant/Tyrant’s flail
T10 Flail of carnage
T11 Flail of midnight wishes
T12 Flail of unbound fury/Flail of unchained fury
T13 Flail of star expulsion
T14 Flail of armageddon
UT. Flail of dark matter
UT. Magma flail

Extra: scrapped T10 flails
Forum%20T10%20scrapped

Ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Do you have any idea about how the flail functions as an ability? Cool artwork so far, and props to you for making all this in MS Paint lol.

Not to try and bring you down, but the spritework of these really just reminds me of various adult toys.

I’ll be thinking about it more later, but I do have some ideas. Such as, having some kind of side to side attack, as flails are swung

Lmao

Ngl sprites aren’t great so far, but i’m waiting for their attack patterns and the ability.

Can you ellaborate? And I’m honestly more of an artist than a game designer so I’m not sure if those are going to be the best to be honest.

Chains have weird shape / shading, shading on the flail heads makes them look pretty flat (some like t7 don’t even look like a flail head), contrast between some shades is too low and they blend together. These are my main issues, of course it’s all subjective so don’t take this too seriously.

I like the T7, lots of inspo from the t7 dagger. Flail ends don’t have to be spikey balls, plenty are just long rods even axe heads work (there are even flails w/ metal animal claws). The chain shapes are kinda weird, Deca could do better with this.
(t9 looks stale, t13 looks too dark, T14 is just a little off…)

I think this could be a nice sword and hide armor class

I’ve looked at the weapons that are in the game alot for inspiration, I wanted to make low tiers have the same feel as other low tiers though I suppose I could increase contrast on tier 2, 6, 9 and possibly 8 and UT 2 and see how it looks. As for chains I don’t think I can make them better even if I were to change them. And Merica said it well about t7. Thank you for feedback, these are not neccessarily finalized yet as this is a WIP.

Exactly! I tried to make them all stand out exept for lowest tiers, they don’t need to much. And what do you mean with the t9? I might mess around with it for a bit. And I think t13 does look darker than others, but great on it’s own. I might need to make the other ones little more dark. And I totally agree with t14 being off. the particles are kind of meh but I wasn’t sure what else to do. I might find a way to make it better.

And I’m thinking about this being a heavy armor class honestly. But I will need to see, it doesn’t make sense to me to make flails midrange and if it is sword range I’ll definetly go with heavy armor. Leather armor strikes me more as nimble light armor for fast classes like ninja, trix, rogue and ranged characters. a heavy melee character with big helmet doesn’t feel same as the other leather armor classes and feels more like the sword classes.

You ever seen a viking with a flail??? Also the horned helmet is stupid, but its still less dumb than viking with a flail.

Flails weren’t even a real weapon my guy. Wheter they fit vikings is completely subjective.

what do you mean by that?
unless you’re thinking of the ball and chain variant, which in that case, I’m not sure.

I did some searching on the internet(which is admittedly very basic) and the wikipedia page says otherwise.
the aforementioned page may be Inaccurate because anyone can edit it.

to make sure anyone doesn’t accidentally go to the wrong webpage, it’s the one about flails used as weapons.

disclaimer: I don’t blindly trust wikipedia.

Honestly, I don’t care about debating over this. Realm of the mad god doesn’t need to be historically accurate. Just great-looking and fun to play.

you’re right, this is a video game we’re talking about.

and maybe I didn’t make myself clear, but I was not debating.
I was merely pointing out that others may not agree with you.

anyway, this is really off topic so I’ll just end it for now.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.