Athena and Lernaean Hydra (Lovens's Deca Art Contest submission)

Athena Pallas

As someone recently mentioned, warrior class doesn’t have a female skin and I decided to fix that in my Art Contest entry. Meet Athena Pallas, the Greek goddess of wisdom and war! She is brave, beautiful and leaves her enemies no chances:

Skin flavor text suggestion: "This goddess never fights without purpose but shines in battle if you make her fight!"
Tags in RotMG draw tool: mayartcontest,lovens,athena,20170525

Lernaean Hydra

16x16 boss sprite suggestion: Lernaean Hydra, ancient Greek beast once defeated by Heracles. According to the old Greek legend, it was wise Athena who helped him to slay down the monster.

Originally my idea was to make more sprites for this boss (and I actually sketched some) because I had a concept for the boss battle which consisted of 6 boss apparations: 1 head, 2 heads, 3 heads, 4 heads, 5 heads, 6 heads. Boss could start with 2 or 3 heads and then cycle through these phases depending on how much damage it would take, and “grow” back heads if it wasn’t damaged at all for X seconds. Possible methods to make it harder to deal damage to this boss: immune to damage from pets/shoot stun and or/petrify. Finally, the boss could only die once all extra heads were cut off and only the last one left.

But since the goal of the contest is to draw boss’s concept, not design the boss battle, I decided to keep 5 sprites with three heads only.

Tags in RotMG draw tool: mayartcontest,lovens,hydra,20170526

More details and additional images (sprite sheets, dye masks) could be found in full album with my entry.

[Spoilers] Summer Update Leaks [now on prod]

I like the Hydra.

Lovely! Only thing I will say is that the top of Athena’s head reminds me of a sarc, dunno how to fix though.

Oh, I was struggling so much with that part! Here are the options I tried:

I was thinking to try 5, but then I would have to get rid of red feather behind the ghelm, so I decided to stylize it like tiara in front. Here’ a pic which was also a part of inspiration:

The Hydra looks pretty good, my only gripe with is the apparent shrinking in size during the walk animation. Is that on purpose?

Yeah, I was thinking that it should move a bit like a giant snake - move heads and tail closer to the body in a tight knot and then release heads and tail in the next movement.

my only issue with either sprite is that athena appears to be “flapping” her other arm while attacking, which is kind of silly and distracting. then imagine that with a berserk buff…

Yeah, I was thinking about it too, but most of RotMG skins do look silly and distracting when they move at high speed or shoot too fast. Watch rogue’s running animation and you will see both legs all the time, for example. With only two frames per position, it’s hard to make it more realistic and less goofy…and it’s a game for kids after all :slight_smile:

Skin looks amazing.

What areas are able to be dyed? The cape and the garb? I love the skin and the hydra, the dark colors on the hydra are a little off putting though.

Here is the dye mask for Athena skin - red one for main dye area and green one for accessory dye area.

The dye masks are not a mandatory requirement, correct?

No, I just like to make them to see how the skin would look like with dyes.

Thanks. Was panicking for a second there. In addition, do you have a clue on how dye masks will be put into place if someone’s submission wins? Will DECA make the masks themselves or ask the winner to add them on.

Thanks. Your hydra looks great btw.

Thank you :slight_smile:

I don’t know about dye masks, it’s up to Deca to decide on what to use. I made a skin once (8x8 Mini Rosen Blade) and suggested a dye mask for it too: https://www.reddit.com/r/RotMG/comments/4v3mlw/rosen_blade_ninja_skin/

Here is what I suggested:

(note that flower was supposed to match her kimono color).

Here’s what they used in game:

(changed chape of the dress a bit, closed a v-neck shape on her back which was also a part of design, and removed hair accessories - flower and japanese stick - from dye mask entirely, so when you apply main dye now, flower doesn’t match dress color, and stick stays green when you apply accessory color) :unamused:

I wrote about that on reddit and sumbitted a support ticket with correct dye mask, and Sileex himself promised to look into it and fix the dye mask, but they never did it and it’s still wrong.

Hmm. Thanks for sharing.

Im not trying to be a douche im just a huge mythology nerd and its bugging me so much. I believe you mixed up the name for the warrior skin. Athena is referred to as Pallas Athena not Athena Pallas

Oh yeah, I already know. Unfortunately I didn’t know about that until someone told me about it on reddit too. I’ll copy my reply here:

Heh, I guess that’s a result of reading Greek poems and myths in Russian (my native language). She was always called there Афина Паллада (Athena Pallas) where second part always followed her main name, and I decided to keep it like this here because it sounded more natural to me.

I didn’t even know that was an issue in English translation (and I never checked original Greek Iliad text until now), but I see that Pallas Athena is actually a correct translation from Greek. If somehow my skin will win the contest and they decide to implement it in the game, I’ll make sure to mention that to Deca and change its name to the correct one.

Thanks for your feedback!

Um…I think you’re a day too late…
In UCT it’s June 10…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.