Autofire Special Ability Toggle

I’m thinking it would be a good quality of life change if the game gave us a new option for Autofire Special Ability Toggle.

This would be a parallel to the Autofire Toggle which is there for weapons.

Autofire Special Ability effectively would be the game pressing spacebar for us as often as possible to activate our Ability whenever we have enough mana in the MP bar.

When it is switched On: (example)
If your MP bar has 220MP and Ability use is 50MP, it would fire 4x in succession, and thenceforth fire each time you regen up to 50MP.
(This is a “simple” way of doing it - I’m sure more complicated ways could be done calculating use based on WIS+MP Heal Pet level, but I don’t have the knowledge to suggest those.)

The On/Off toggle would be set via Controls menu:

Background & reasons for suggesting:

Due to higher level MP Heal Pets, the game now permits Special Ability use far far more often than when first designed, when even a maxed WIS-heavy class could only Ability once every 15 to 20 seconds, and in certain situations it is desirable to just blindly auto-use Special Ability whenever it is possible.

For examples:

• Paladin wishing to “permabuff” needs to constantly press spacebar every 4-5 seconds
  • Priest wishing to “permaheal” needs to constantly press spacebar every X seconds
  • Rogue rushing wishing to “permacloak”, that is to cloak as often as possible, needs to press spacebar every 6.5 seconds.

There can be examples thought up for situations where every class might wish to switch this on, though most wouldn’t want it toggled permanently on.

• Sorcerer/Archer/Huntress/Ninja in many-enemies scenario when just using the Ability for pure dmg output.
  • Assassin/Wizard/Necromancer/Knight/etc versus a stationary long-lived enemy.
  • Trickster if prism-tping through non-threatening zones, or if sending decoys on a no-tp prism.
  • Mystic if “permacursing”, Warrior to “permabuff”.

This option would allow hard coding into the game something which players are finding alternate methods to do (example: creating macros to press space every X seconds for permabuff/permacloak, or I presume hacked clients that have it as a feature).

Useful Macros for RotMG

I was going to say something smart about how stupid this idea was, but in truth, I have no idea what the problem is. I’m 90% sure there is a problem, but personally, I don’t see the disadvantages of it. It’s not actually giving you a advantage over others and all it does it allow you to do something most people already do but makes it less tedius.
However, would they have to go through each individual cases for items like seal and tome because the length of seal/ tome depend on wis and tier right?

My middle finger already does this with right click. I cant stop clicking

part of the game is to be able to time the fire or activation of your ability though, right?

this would be awesome for lava walking :slight_smile:

Makes sense to me

I would not be for every situation and that’s also another reason it’s not any kind of advantage because it would not useful all the time

I can see priests, pallys, and possibly warriors using this, but would this speedy a ninja or throw the star?

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Speedy, obviously

So it doesn’t auto-fire, but rather auto-hold-down? That’s how Ninja’s Speedy works…

It’s just an idea so it doesn’t DO anything.
My response was what I think should be done with ninja as perma-speedy is the desired outcome, not shuriken spam.

I’ve already offered my opinion on automatic abilities (DECA-brand or not) here.

I’ll just copy+paste here for others to read too:

personally I think an automatic ability is not okay, but I also think that (except in extreme cases like Nevov mentioned) it’s self-punishing. it adds another thing you have to be watching out for that is not under your control, so without also adding autoaiming (a clear violation, pretty sure we all agree on this) you have to be ready to have your cursor in place at regular intervals. as for the classes that don’t have abilities that need to be aimed, the exact timing of when you should and shouldn’t activate is irregular and requires practice and experience. for example, even though paladins can perma-seal you need to be able to use extra buffs to heal yourself when taking substantial damage. the intervals at which you need to heal yourself and others varies depending on the situation, sometimes you need to spam as soon as you get the mp, others you don’t need the hp back and can allow mp to regenerate with a slower rate of use. in fact, the only ability I think would be helpful to set on auto is the cloak that Thees mentioned, and even then I think it’s best that the exact timing be given to something capable of adjusting to varying circumstances (a human). even if you can perma cloak, sometimes it’s best to hold out anyway during stretches where you can’t get caught to give yourself maximum invisible time for the hard parts.

basically, I don’t think this is quite as useful as many might think it is. the toggle would need to be flipped on and off quickly as the situations I mentioned above can not only vary dramatically, but also very quickly. personally, my fingers are already doing quite a bit of jumping around just toggling autofire on/off, idk if there’s room for another toggle key I’d have to keep hitting.

something else to consider: autoability and autofire perform very different functions for you, in terms of actual hand/finger movements that is. in order to manually “autofire”, you have to be constantly holding down the mouse button. it doesn’t matter how strong your finger is, it’s going to get tired very quickly. in order to manually “autoability” on the other hand, your finger (or even thumb, those are stronger slightly) only has to be tapping the key at regular intervals. because of the pause in between uses, your finger/thumb can last a lot longer if not indefinitely.

I guess if enough people thought it was important I guess it would be an okay-ish addition. but between those two points I’ve made, I personally would never ever ever use it.

10/10 quality shiptost. Thanks for mentioning me as inspiration, @Nevov.

In all honesty, it’d be a feature of the game that would be extremely controversial. As you can see from Xaklor’s link, not a lot of people agree with automating the game.

It’s still a cool concept, but it doesn’t seem to fit well with a lot of players.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.