Baby God Pets

Eh, I guess I did rate it too harshly, something I’ve always had an issue with. 5/10 is probably fairer.

Really well produced video. I like it a lot.

On the merits of the idea, I think there’s some gaps yet to be filled in. I’ll preface this by saying I hate functional pets, but I do like aesthetic ones. I think the art of the baby gods is fine: they’re recognizable mini versions of the full size gods. I especially like the evil idea that we stole their babies.

But functional pets are what people want these days. So how would these fit in? Would they be their own family, the Gods family? And if we’re going to introduce a new family of pets I think it’s a great time to also introduce some new abilities, probably as the first one for this family to make them extra desirable.

Also, i’ll remind people that a 1 in 10,000 chance isn’t that bad. 1 in 1000 for a UT is a burden when you can only fight that enemy once every 5 minutes, but in godlands you’re killing perhaps dozens of the same type of god in a single minute. Hitting the 10k mark will come a lot faster than what we’re used to with other whites.

Thanks for the input! I honestly disagree with pets in general and I think they were bad for the game and made it less co-op, but since we have to live with them I just wanted to make the best of it. I agree with the 1/10,000 thing not being that bad and honestly I wanted it to be a lot rarer, but on a video presentation, I didn’t want it to sound too far-fetched so I made it 1/10,000 when in reality I would have made it probably 10x that.

[Oh, and minor typo from video’s title: It’s “YinYarn’s Yearns”, not “YinYarns Yearn’s”. #apostrophesmatter OB]

(thanks, I’m surprised no one saw that until now, changed it! :slight_smile:)

sure why not?
sprites aren’t terrible and considering the way things are going it wouldn’t surprise me if it happened anyway, even if they don’t use your own sprites.

(although I would like to reiterate the point that Axelazon made in the first reply, no cyan bags appear in godlands whatsoever.)

Then why don’t you stop? I wouldn’t advise doing stuff like this if it doesn’t make you happy.

I’m thinking about it. I just kinda miss the times where people weren’t used to my editing and were super amazed and really interested in it. Now that people have gotten accustomed to how much I put into my work though, people just get really hypercritical and try to find the tiny things that might be wrong with it instead of look at the big picture. The comments that are really positive and morale boosting keep me going though, but sometimes I just get comments that make me want to halt. It shouldn’t be like that, but it just kind of is.

Well created post, seems like you put much more time into this than other content ideas.
I’ll use pros and cons to give my opinion on this idea:

Pros:

1. Incentive to farm gods
  2. More game content
  3. Who doesn’t like pet stones?

Cons:

1. Decrease in mystery box/pet stone purchase revenue from DECA: With a plethora of new pet stones, I doubt anyone would resort to popping mystery boxes, buying gold, et al for a pet stone.
  2. Fame train/Pro Train will only become more powerful and offer a bigger incentive in participating.
  3. Sprites look bad.
  4. There are already enough pet stones, and I’m not a big fan of the idea of pet stones dropping from enemies in the first place. They were introduced as a premium, aesthetic feature. I’d rather have all pet stones actually be a viable option that pets would naturally get while fusing - promoting gold/pet food purchases for DECA.
  5. Wanting more pet stones will only communicate the wrong idea to DECA. Promoting even more endless grinding for aesthetics will keep away what the community really wants: new content.

My 2c.

OtherBill already cleared up as to why the fame train wouldn’t really get affected by this update, and I have to say something that’s been eating at me, the sprites do not look bad and it’s really pissing me off that several people are saying that. I mean, really pissing me off. I’ve had my brothers look at it, and I’ve run it by artists who all say that they look great, especially when you’re confined to working in an extremely tiny 8x8 space that limits your capacity. That’s 1/4th the size of a regular god and people have no idea how hard it is to capture their likeness when it’s that small, and I’ll say that I did a dang good job making them, that I have pride in. And if great artists enjoy them, then I take that much more into consideration than a couple people just being too harsh of critics.

You’re blatantly rejecting the opinion of people who dislike your sprite, and not only are they completely entitled to their opinion, you should expect criticism when showcasing an idea, and adjust accordingly, instead of ignoring it and continuing, indifferent.

Also, it seems that your view of the sprites is more reflective of how much time and effort you put into them rather than the opinion of other people, making it look like you’re awfully one-sided and not very open to other’s ideas/criticism. Again, it seems unlikely that amazing artists would wholeheartedly support your sprites while an overwhelming amount of forumers here aren’t exactly fond of them (along with the fact that, mind you, the majority of realmeye forum users have a higher IQ, on average, than /r/ROTMG redditors and a better aesthetic sense).

After reviewing the above, I realised I may have come off much too harshly here. I don’t want to cause offense, but my main point is that no matter how good something is or seems to be, there is no excuse to not take correction from another individual who only seeks to benefit you and point out something which doesn’t look right. We’ve recognized your effort here and have not hesitated to commend you for it.
I just didn’t find some as good as the better sprites you made; After seeing the first few, the bar was set quite high, and after seeing them all it seemed like the sprites weren’t all at the same aesthetically pleasing level.

I agree! I’m not fond of one (and the details there don’t matter), but I think the rest capture their spirit very well!

I appreciate what you’re trying to say, but of course I’m going to be upset when you write down “The sprites are bad”. That’s not constructive, and a lot of other people actually really love the sprites, I’m just saying.

It’s all well and good. Really, some sprites are excellent. But after seeing beauties like the slime god and the end god, it’s a huge bonerkill to look at medusa or flying brain.

I mean, really it’s all opinion. I’ve seen people that absolutely love the medusa (Like Afro), and I especially like how I made it chubby baby faced, which is what I was going for. The Brain I’m surprised you don’t like because that’s one of my favorites. I don’t think people realize how hard it is to take stuff and make it 8x8, it’s really demanding on its dimensions, and I personally love the work I put in.

My iq is between tenty and eleventeen and I find that offensive

I enjoyed the video to heck, but most of these sprites are hideous because they just don’t work in the size you have selected. Before you go whine at me like everybody else who didn’t like them, chill out. I agree you have worked hard, but so have other people on ideas, and they still get told the same thing. Just because you like the sprites, it doesn’t mean everyone has to completely ignore the fact that the medusa looks… well ugly.

So what do you want people to say? “omg this man put effort into an idea, lets just put it into the game?” Lmaoooooo.
I like a few of them, but by making them “baby” gods, and cramming them into tiny spaces, why would you be surprised if somebody didn’t like it?

I don’t know why you assume I’m going to whine when I just said that it’s all opinion and that I agreed that people can think whatever they want. Don’t be so presumptuous now, haha. I’m just saying that I personally liked them and a ton of other people do too with a few nitpicks here and there. Long story short, I’ve come to grips with that. I don’t expect Deca to even put this in the game, I never e-mailed them about the idea, I just thought it’d be a fun project for a video.

Hmm yes of course. Why would I have assumed that?[quote=“YinYarn, post:38, topic:10094, full:true”]
I don’t know why you assume I’m going to whine when I just said that it’s all opinion and that I agreed that people can think whatever they want. Don’t be so presumptuous now, haha. I’m just saying that I personally liked them and a ton of other people do too with a few nitpicks here and there. Long story short, I’ve come to grips with that. I don’t expect Deca to even put this in the game, I never e-mailed them about the idea, I just thought it’d be a fun project for a video
[/quote]
Somebody is quickly changing their tune from earlier. Lets quickly take a peak at some reasons I might have assumed you would whine:

Seems pretty presumptuous to say your sprites look good. This doesn’t exactly sound great you know.[quote=“YinYarn, post:30, topic:10094”]
That’s 1/4th the size of a regular god and people have no idea how hard it is to capture their likeness when it’s that small, and I’ll say that I did a dang good job making them, that I have pride in. And if great artists enjoy them, then I take that much more into consideration than a couple people just being too harsh of critics.
[/quote]
It’s fine to have pride in your work, but you seem to take way too much pride. In that anybody disagreeing must be directly insulting you, and that you have to act defensively to protect yourself.[quote=“YinYarn, post:12, topic:10094, full:true”]
I’m just saying if that’s really what all my effort is getting put into then why am I still wasting my time, I could be doing other things. It’s not that I’m angry, just really disappointed and I don’t get the same, strong itch to make videos anymore because of it. I’m just not having fun anymore.
[/quote]
We can see you going on a salty rant and immediately pulling the “I put so much effort in, why am i wasting my time” card.[quote=“YinYarn, post:8, topic:10094, full:true”]
You gave me a pretty hard blowing 3/10, way below average score because you don’t think the sprites look good? A 3/10, despite all the effort that got put into it, that sounds fair? Nevermind I really don’t care at this point, I really hate producing stuff for RotMG now-a-days.
[/quote]
While I 100% think 3/10 is very low for this project, you take a huge shit all over this guy, then say you hate producing stuff because of 1 single comment.
How am I supposed to agree with you when you come off as a little kid who’s little lego castle was looked down upon?

I have fairly low self esteem and always assume the worst feedback when I share an idea. So when I see somebody acting so high and mighty about theirs, I’m sorry, but it pisses me right off. Please don’t take this personally, but just try to be more open to these other guys, who are only sharing their opinion.

Get something to drink, we’re people over the internet playing a game where we play as Knights and Wizards and shoot creatures like werewolves. No need to make an essay about it, you might need some green tea, that helps with the nerves.