Beginner ST Set: Insect Paladin

Insect Paladin ST Set

This set is meant to introduce new players to STs, and give people reasons to do lower tier dungeons. It’s based on survivability, which is good for new players because most don’t have good pets or maxed stats. I don’t have any sprites for these items because I’m really bad at pixel art. This will most likely never get implemented into the game because that would mean (GASP) buffing cland st drop rates, at least temporarily. This set has been in my head since I started really playing the game about 6 months ago.

Spiderweb Scythe:
  • Description: The only remaining evidence of an innocent farmer who accidentally wandered into Arachna’s den.
  • Tier: ST
  • Type: Sword
  • Range: 4.2
  • Damage: 185-290
  • Amplitude: 0.3
  • Frequency: 0.5
  • 75% rate of fire
  • Special properties: Shots pass through obstacles and enemies
  • Fame Bonus: 3%
  • Feed Power: 300

Drops From:

• Arachna
  • Beginner Quest Chest

A sword with long reach and the ability to pass through enemies and obstacles, but at the cost of having DPS just above a T7 sword. This is still enough to reach soulbound on a fresh level 20 character, but you won’t be doing insane DPS with it either… cough cough understatement cough cough

Honeycomb Hexagon:

• Description: A cell meant for developing larvae, stolen from the Queen Bee’s Hive. Oddly, larvae hatched away from home are loyal to the first person they meet.
  • Type: Seal
  • MP Cost: 110
  • Cooldown: 5 seconds
  • Effect: Healing 5 secs, spawns 3 bee larvae.
  • Bee Larva: 150 HP, circles around player blocking bullets. Shoots a single 200 damage shot each second. Range of 3.5 tiles. Circles 0.5 tiles away from you. 5 second max lifetime
  • Stat Bonus: +40 HP
  • Fame Bonus: 4%
  • Feed Power: 400

Drops From:

• Queen Bee
  • Beginner Quest Chest

A seal that gives up damaging to summon 3 protective bee larvae who circle around you and take damage. Their DPS is not very good, and neither is their HP but it still gives you a little protection.

Moth Mail:

• An armor made of thin moth wings layered over each other. The material is not very protective, but the odd mutations of the native moths aid recovery
  • Type: Heavy armor
  • Stats: +20 HP, +10 VIT, +5 DEF
  • Silk cocoon: 10% chance to be slowed for 1 second and increase DEF by 8 for 15 seconds. The DEF bonus stacks.
  • Feed Power: 450

Drops From:

• Mama Megamoth
  • Beginner Quest Chest

A defensive armor that doesn’t have high defense, sort of a cross between the Fungal and MBC breastplates. This probably should have less VIT due to Fungal getting nerfed, but I’m hopeful that it will be un-nerfed like mseal soon.

Bug Boots

• Description: These boots are made from the hollowed out exoskeleton of those bugs you squashed in your quest to defeat Oryx. They still retain some of the qualities of the alive insects.
  • Type: Ring
  • Stat Bonus: 40 HP, 5 DEF
  • On dealing damage: 10% chance to slow for 4 seconds, weaken for 2 seconds, or deal 500 damage over 3 seconds.
  • Feed Power: 350

Drops From:

• Wasp Queen
  • Warrior Bee
  • Hobbit Mage
  • All other enemies who drop Spider Den, The Hive, or Forest Maze (Drops at a VERY low rate)

Not a great ring. It gives minor defensive stat boosts, and has procs to either make the enemy less likely to kill you or deal damage to it.

Set Bonuses

• 2 pieces: 40 HP, 2 VIT, 2 DEF, -1 DEX, -1 ATK
  • 3 pieces: 60 HP, 3 DEF, 3 VIT, -2 ATK, -2 DEX
  • 4 pieces: 100 HP, 5 DEF, 5 VIT, -2 ATK, -2 DEX
  • Total bonuses with 4 pieces: 300 HP, 15 DEF, 20 VIT, -5 ATK, -5 DEX
  • Total stats with set: 1070 HP, 252 MP, 45 ATK, 45 DEF, 55 SPD, 40 DEX, 60 VIT, 75 WIS

Notes

I came to realize halfway through that it would be hard to make sprites for each of them that look like they come from their specific dungeon, but still look like they’re part of a set. Also, this set might be a little too good to drop from lowlands dungeons, with the only hard dungeon for a new player being the Hive. It would have really low drop rates probably, and might have to be nerfed a bit if it was ever put into the game. But who am I kidding, has Deca ever put a fan made ST set into to the game? I doubt it. I can still hope though :smile:. Hope you all like it. Idk if this should be in WIP because of the lack of sprites, but I put it in here because the idea is mostly complete. If you have any suggestions please tell me so I can improve this.

idk man, you forgot fungal has +60 HP, this is just straight better lol I like the idea of bees blocking shots, but maybe don’t give unique function (slow) to a class which other than a rare legacy item doesn’t have it. Overall seal+armor a bit to op for earlygame, ring+sword are decently balanced. Sword description is missing a bit btw

I fixed the description and removed the slowing from the seal, but kept the 250 damage shot. I also removed some DEF and VIT from the armor, but I thought the 60 HP should stay. Thanks for the input.

I made a couple sprites. Usually, I wouldn’t have bothered with the border, but otherwise, the white webs wouldn’t have shown. >.< Feedback?

Nice job! That’s pretty much how I imagined them being. If I tried that it would look like a brown/gray lump for the scythe and a yellow lump for the seal :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Maybe you could make the cells in the honeycomb a bit clearer, because it might be confused with cheese if you don’t look closely
:cheese:

Was making some sprites myself :flushed:

New%20Piskel%20(2)%20(1) New%20Piskel New%20Piskel%20(1) New%20Piskel%20(3)

Maybe the seal looks to similar to the sandstone one…

I like the sprites you made. The inside of the seal could be a bit brighter, and the armor looks a bit like a robe. Good job with the scythe and boots.

ppe btw lel xD

I would say something else here, but I honestly don’t know what to say. Good job on your sprites!

I found it nigh impossible to make a heavy armor using moth wings, so I settled with a more cloth-like form. Does give heavy armors more variety, and leather armors have done something similar with the Tenne plus a pally in a cloak would look pretty smexy ngl.

The seal was just messed up badly, so I have few words for it haha

The robe-like armor does fit with the moth wings and the stats (only 5 DEF)

Lol I have a new profile pic now

nice lol

I feel that this set might need a bit of a balance.

The sword is a better Arcane Rapier (More range, more DPS, and can go through obstacles) with the only down side having a 75% rate of fire and shots not boomeranging. I feel that either downing it’s damage per shot a bit (285 for upper bound?) or making its rate of fire a bit lower (maybe 65%?) will balance it better against Rapier.

The seal is a bit op. The larvae, if they live long enough, will out DPS the bees from the Hivemaster Helm at 5 seconds (250 * 3 * 5 = 3750) compared to the Bee Helm at 6 seconds (120 * 3 * (6/.6) = 3600). I think reducing the damage of the larvae will help along with having them have a max lifetime (currently they do not have one) as I could, hypothetically, have infinite larvae. Also, range of the larvae? Otherwise, I think the seal is well balanced.

The armor and ring looks decently balanced as well the overall stats (maybe a bit less HP? Hard to say until you play with it tbh).

Overall, I like the idea of this set a lot as it gives low land dungeons something worth farming unless, of course, something new is added in tomorrow with MotMG. I also like how you summon something to block bullets (doesn’t work well with piercing) and that can pack a bit of a punch. I think with a bit of re-balancing, this set will be decently solid.

I added a 3.5 tile range to the larvae, nerfed their damage slightly, and added a 5 second lifetime. You can keep them alive constantly, because of the seal’s 5 second cooldown. I tweaked the damage range a bit, moving it slightly down. It outdamages rapier at 115 DEF and csword at 134, but never beats Ancient stone sword. I shifted 40 of the HP from the armor to the seal bc it needed a stat bonus, so the armor is not as OP. I only brought the larva damage down to 200 because at sword range, if the enemy actually attacks, it would be hard to keep all 3 alive for 5 seconds with only 100 HP. One shot from any mid-endgame boss would kill it. Also keep in mind that it has no DEF or HP regen, so a bunch of tiny shots would kill it too.

I like how seriously you’re taking this as a newer player. It’s refreshing.

How seriously I am taking what? This thread? The lack of a reason to do early game dungeons? TY btw.

Most of the newer forumers around here (and I was like this as well) are very stubborn with their ideas, and are less likely to bend towards what people say. They have an idea, they type it here, and never go far enough to flesh out details, be thoughtful on balancing the stats, etc. I think what he’s trying to say is that you put in the effort to make your thoughts closer to reality than most. This includes taking the effort to use DPS calculators, tweaking the numbers, and so on.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.