Beginner's Guide to Farming and Maxing

Introduction

Heyo,
I’m Fury, and I have been playing realm for many years, but did not have great success until very recently. I found myself easily frustrated with the game, and would often take a leave of months over a single character death. I wanted to share the process I used to go from being stuck constantly at 0/8 - 2/8 and being frustrated at every death to having multiple 6/8 characters and being able to recover from a major character loss in fairly quick time.

I realize that over time many guides along these lines have been made. However, I have recently seen a lot of questions along lines that I will cover in this guide, so hopefully this can be helpful as a resource to new players and can answer some questions without needing to make more threads.

Disclaimer

This guide will show a very simple method of gaining wealth from zero. It is of course not the only method, but it is effective. This is an accumulation of knowledge I have gained from personal experience as well as from videos I have seen, and everything has been tested thoroughly by me.

In order to be able to effectively use this guide, you must have at least one additional character slot. At least one more vault space helps with convenience, but it is not necessary.

I will assume that you are comfortable getting a character to level 20 on a very consistent basis. That is the only skill requirement.

i. TL;DR Summary

I prefer to put these at the top instead of the bottom for easy reference…

I. Make a wizard.
II.Farm pots from godlands, sprite worlds, and snake pits. Drink the pots with the character you want to max except for def, which should be stored in the vault up to 8 pots (or until you have completed the goal in step IV).
III. Trade 8 def for 2 T11 Astral staves, 2 T5 Mnova spells, 2 T12 Elder robes, and 2 Para Def rings.
IV. Equip one of the two sets you just bought, and buy another with the next four def you find. (your vault should have two complete sets)
V. Continue step II, but add in all of the other dungeons.
VI. If your farmer dies, make a new one, equip a set from the vault, and get back on at step V.
VII. Profit.

I. Make a Farmer and a Target

This guide follows the very well-known premise of having a farmer character working to help max the stats of a desired character. I will be going through several details about items and dungeons, so I will write specifically toward the idea of having a Wizard as the farmer class. I also believe this is the best option for a farmer, as you can generate very high single-target damage even at 0/8 with a bit of practice.

So, you create a wizard. You have an empty vault at this point, no gear, no nothing. First you want to get your character to level 20, and I highly suggest doing so by following the assigned quests all the way there. The reason for this being that you have no gear, and by going through the “natural” order of the game, so to speak, you should end up at level 20 with T4-6 staff, T2-4 spell, T5-7 robe, and a T2 ring. For the ring, you are going to want to go for defense. HP is more helpful against higher-damage enemies, but for the purpose of this guide the only situation in which you could be insta’d is by the 2nd mad lab boss (the charge-slash attack). Everything else you should have time at least to nexus if need be.

For a target character, choose whatever you want! Melee classes especially are a nice choice, since it is somewhat more challenging to do difficult dungeons with a non-maxed melee (at least for me, but I am pretty bad at melee).

II. Early Farming

Now you are level 20. There are three primary farming locations you want to focus on: godlands, sprite worlds, and snake pits. I will go through each individually.

Godlands-
Main thing here is to recognize that every enemy you see has the potential to give you a stat pot. Never miss an opportunity to damage an enemy. The soulbound threshold is laughably low on these enemies, to the point where you only need to land 2-3 shots to qualify. Be sure to be using your spellbomb consistently here. You should never be sitting at your maximum MP cap.

Practice honing in your aim on the spellbomb to land more shots on your target. The ideal area to aim for most enemies is the base of the sprite, slightly to the right of center. If you turn on HP bars (highly suggest) you can see the “center” very easily. Going off the HP bar, you want to aim 1-2 pixels above the top of the bar (and again, slightly right of center just like politics). This does vary based on the different enemies, and it will take practice to master the spell, but it is a huge help especially when going through the dungeons solo. Any pots you collect, feed to the character you want to max EXCEPT DEF for now (I will come back to that). Keep the def pots in your vault until you have 8 of them (again, this is assuming starting from nothing) and you can feed additional ones to the target character.

Sprite World: The only thing you have to worry about are the natural sprite gods. They can be very annoying until you get more used to the moving panels. Especially try to avoid the quieting shots, as they will hugely increase the time it takes to defeat Limon. The natural gods are still very worth fighting, though, as they do drop attack potions on a fairly regular basis.
Limon is a very simple fight. Just keep moving in wide circles during the first phase and he will never hit you. Once he calms down, stand between the parallel lines of white shots and shoot him from a distance. I highly suggest having your screen off-center (this is at all times…get used to it if you haven’t already. It is probably the single change I made that has made the greatest difference in my success in Realm). If your screen is off-center, get to the point where you can just barely see the bottom of Limon, and shoot him from there. You can hit him, he won’t hit you. You can tell when he is vulnerable when the HP bar is visible, and that is the time to use the spellbombs. You can get off two per vulnerable phase if you are fast, but don’t try for three. Once you have the hang of spellbombs, you will take him out every time before he begins the chasing phase again, and you will earn yourself a dex pot. He also occasionally drops defense (roughly 1 in 8-10 based on my experience) and remember to keep up to 8 in the vault for the next step.

Snake Pit: The only enemies that deal significant damage to you are the big pit vipers. Still, if you are not comfortable with the dungeon yet, feel free to clear each room as you go. Going around the edge of each room a few times will group all the enemies in the center, then you can just fire away to take them all out at once. Before long you will be comfortable enough to at least semi-rush the dungeon. When you are doing so, it is a good idea to go through the destructible walls at one edge only, and to only break a single tile-wide passage. This ensures that no enemies from previous rooms will join you in the next one.
The boss is pretty simple, and will just take a bit of time. The main thing to watch out for are the guardians spinning around her at all times. They have too much health to be worth taking out, but their shots can really hurt on an unmaxed wizzy. They generally shake back and forth briefly before shooting, so when you see that just move quickly perpendicular to the guardian to avoid the shot. With some practice you will take on the boss fight with little to no difficulty, though it will never be quite as fast as Limon. You will receive a speed pot.

Many people like to run through every single room of the dungeon to look for treasure rooms. This can be very well-worth it, as they are very common and you can find several in a single dungeon. The Troom boss is a breeze, and gives you another speed pot.

III. Getting Geared Up

It may take you a couple of characters to get up to 8 defense stored in the vault. Don’t worry about it. It will get much easier once you finish this step!
The gear you will be using is the T11 staff, T5 spell, T12 robe, and T4 def ring. The reason being each of these items can be quickly purchased for 1 def each. This is where the stored def comes in. You have 8 def, so you can purchase two full sets. Go to USWest2 and say something like “B:>Astral, MNova, Elder, Para def : 1 def each! @Furyborn” and you should get responses pretty quickly. This is by far the least fun part for me, as I feel like merching is seriously boring. If you have a bit of luck, you will find a few of these items from just playing the game. Equip one set, and keep one in the vault.
Once you farm up to four more def, buy another full set. At this point you should have three total: two sets in the vault and one more on your farmer. The reason for keeping two sets in the vault is because occasionally you will screw up. You will get a little too greedy and have a character that doesn’t make it all the way to filling the missing equipment spots, and you don’t want to go back to ground zero if you can avoid it.

This is all the space you need. It should be noted that this still works for farming with only one vault space, as you can just swap the pots with the items when you are dropping them off, then drink them with the target character, then swap back and put the items back in the vault.

IV. True Farming Begins

Now your farmer is fully geared, and you are prepared for the next character. Go back to the godlands, and now start trying other dungeons, especially the Mad Lab, Undead Lair, and Haunted Cemetery. These are all fairly non-threatening for wizards as long as you have at least one or two others with you. If you are lucky you will join a dungeon with someone rushing, at which point you can just teleport to the boss when he gets there. I would ward against trying to solo mad lab or cemetery right now. You can do it safely, but it will take a long time and the rewards are just not worth it.

Now you can do pretty much anything! You will find pots very frequently, but I would ward against putting a backpack on the character. Remember, this farmer is expendable! In general, you can think of it in this way: as long as your farmer finds at least 4 def, anything else is profit. I like to add the goal of completing at least one tinker quest to have an exp booster for the next wizzy, but as long as you average getting 4 def you can “go infinite,” so to speak.

Conclusion

Before long you will get your other character slot up to 6/8, at which point what you do next is up to you! I personally like to keep the one vault chest reserved for the farming gear, but I only play on the wizard now when my main character dies. Once you have one maxed character, it is much easier to max others.

If you have any questions or additions, please tell me in the comments! I will happily add to this guide if people want more, or want more detail on particular dungeons or anything.

Thanks for reading!
-Fury

Ehh I somewhat agree with everything except for the part you said “ Drink every pot you find except for Def” when def should be the 1st/2nd thing u want to max automatically even if you are a beginner with no type of good items at least that’s how I see it

Merching is also a good way to earn profit to max, and I’ve found a fairly decent method which I’ve been using occasionally over the years. It works like this:

• Run some Snake Pits and obtain 8 Speed.
  • Sell 8 Speed for 1 Life.
  • Sell 1 Life for 8 Defense.
  • Sell each Defense for 2 Speed, ending up with 16 Speed.
  • Repeat the process.
    If you are impatient, then selling the Life for 7 Defense works as well, but it won’t be as organized.

It’s good to have a backup of at least 5+ defense as a fail-safe if you’re starting out, since it allows you to jump back from your character’s death with minimal effort. Although maxing DEF is really useful in the long-run, it’s a costly investment for those that are starting out, and I don’t think it should be touched upon until the player gets a character they’re especially confident investing pots into.

Yeah, keeping the def is just to buy replacement gear. Once you have the replacement gear, the target character drinks everything.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.