Best tools and format to present a "dungeon idea"

Hi all.

I’m a ~veteran realmer~, but a newbie on the forum – so, please, tell me if this thread/question is inadequate.

Due to the quarantine – sadly – I have a lot of time in my hands and ideas in my head.
What I want to know is if there are a propper tool and way to present to the fellow realmers on this forum my idea for a new dungeon.

I’ve browsed the dungeons thread and saw a lot of cool stuff there (and I want to take part on it :slight_smile:). I understand that to submit a dungeon it has to be an almost complete work. But how complete? Any tips on starting the PDF file, sprites and tables?

I don’t know about all of that, but sprite wise, I personally use piskel. As for the rest of it, I suggest just making a word file, as you can do all of that there.

You can try asking @Puffagod, since he’s pretty experienced with this type of stuff.

Everything You Need

You usually start out with a Google Document and fill out stuff like:

• Boss(es) and enemies of the dungeon
  • Event Boss that the dungeon drops from
  • Obtainable loot

All of the stuff need sprites and at least a vague detail for it to actually be considered “complete”. To make sprites, I use Piskel, but you can use whatever’s comfortable to you.

To go above and beyond, you could even try making the dungeon rooms using a free level-builder software called Tiled. A guide on using it is available below:

Organization

Everyone organizes their dungeon concept differently. My preferred way is:

• Dungeon Lore/Story
  • Event Boss
  • Dungeon Intro
  • Dungeon Room Designs
  • Enemies
  • Boss(es)
  • Loot

The problem with this, however, is that if you dungeon has multiple stages, all of the enemies from all of the levels are bunched into one category, making things confusing. If this is the case, you could also do something like:

• Dungeon Lore/Story
  • Event Boss
  • Dungeon Intro
  • Level 1 Dungeon Rooms
  • Level 1 Enemies
  • Level 2 Dungeon Rooms
  • Level 2 Enemies
  • Level 3 Dungeon Rooms
  • Level 3 Enemies
  • Boss(es)
  • Loot

Converting Into PDF

The problem with Google Docs is that it loads documents relatively slowly. The solution to this is PDF, which allows them to load far quicker. The downside to this is that it’s not able to show animations.

This is why stuff like the Sky Sanctuary and the Clock Tower have to use Google Docs in order to show attack animations and such, while Puffagod’s dungeons use PDF since they don’t have any animation to show anyway.

CLICK if you don't know how to convert Google Doc to PDF.

Go to your dungeon document and click “File”, “Download”, and “PDF Document”.

The document should be downloaded in PDF format.

Go to Google Drive and hit “File Upload”.

Find your PDF document and upload it. A pop-up should appear, confirming the upload.

If you now go to the “Recents” category, the PDF document should be there.

Go into the PDF.

Click the 3 dots in the corner, then “Share”.

This should pop up. Hit “Get Shareable Link”.

You should see this now.

Copy the link and post it anywhere you see fit. People with the link can now view the PDF document.

If you’d like, I can send on of the projects that I’m working on to give you a better idea on what I mean. I’m also available for help on Discord.

Hey, it’s a very complete and intuitive editor! Thnx for the tip.
Already tikering with it

Thank you! Having this guideline in mind will help me a lot to streamline the concept/project!

Glad I can contact you! As soon as I consolidate the core/basics of my idea/project I’ll reach you via discord or this forum. :smiley:

One of my main concerns was that I would get lost trying to develop the whole dungeon aspects at the same time.

Glad the guide helped!
Just a side note, instead of making multiple replies, you can also use the mention feature like:

You can also edit your post to your liking:

34%20PM

Just a few nice things that might help you throughout your time in this forum! :wink:

Hullo! Sorry for my late response… I was polishing up a dungeon (which you might find useful to look at!)

Gamma’s basically said everything you need – all I do personally is whip out a word doc, methodically fill it in, bit by bit, and share it as a PDF :3

One thing I would add is that you shouldn’t feel obliged to follow some sort of template! If you want to say something that is unsupported by a format you find in someone else’s idea - go for it! Kabam used to insist on a homogenised template for dungeon ideas, and it was a blight on creativity, and results in basically unreadable documents…

Best of luck with your idea!

Thank you so much :blowfish::heart:!
Indeed, your posts are quite the source of inspiration (and passion/attention to details), especially the recent Elder Realms – for me

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.