[Class idea] Arcanist - Tempest of Magic

It’s been a long time but I’m back on RotMG because of the new and shiny client.
I used to exclusively post item ideas before so welcome to my first class idea! This is just a rough draft of the idea but any feedback or critiques are welcome!

THE ARCANIST:

F1 HexBlade_Animation_2
The Arcanist has a natural proficiency in both the arcane and martial arts, able to conjure and control Arcane Rifts to aid them in battle.

Game Description: The Arcanist utilizes precision and accuracy by using their Arcane Rifts to evade enemy attacks as well as strengthen themselves.

Class Requirements: Level 20 with Trickster; Level 20 with Ninja.

F1

Equipment Slots and Starting Gear

Weapon slot:image Katana: Rusty Katana
Ability slot: image Talisman: Ironspark Talisman
Robe slot: image Cloth Armor: None
Ring slot: image Ring: None

Stats:

Initial Stats         Gain Per Level         Average at 20         Base Stat Cap
        Hit Points         150         20-30         625          720
        Magic Points         100         5-15         290          385
        Attack         15         1-2         43          75
        Defense         0         0         0          25
        Speed         12         0-2         31          55
        Dexterity         10         1-2         31          65
        Vitality         10         1-2         38          75
        Wisdom         10         0-2         29          50

Explanation of Lore and Stats

Before I start explaining the stats and equipment, I want to first give a bit more lore and the general concept of an Arcane Rift and the Ability itself. Canonically, Talismans can store and condense mana through the runestones or runed gems inside. This mana is then turned into flame-like substance and the Arcanist directs this flame through their weapon (hence the high attack and dexterity) as if setting their blade alight with arcane fire. However, through further concentration the Arcanist condense enough mana through their blade to tear through this plane and create an arcane rift.

Although the Arcanist is accustomed to the flame, they learned that the armors foreign to magic would quickly burn, leaving the them exposed (as the Arcanist learned the hard way, although they would always blame the samurai with NSFWaki). Thus, they are forced to wear special garments which can sustain magic to be able to fully utilize their Talismans.

In terms of the game itself, For the armor I wanted to play into the theme of the katana classes using all the different armor types (Ninja with Leather Armor, Samurai with Heavy Armor, leaving only the Cloth Armors). This was designed to be a sort of highly mobile class.

Unto the ability…

TALISMANS AND ARCANE RIFTS
A1 A2 A3 A4
New%20Piskel(10) image image A6

General Ability Description:

Like the Ninja, the Arcanist 's ability has two parts, but with a twist as they need to “charge” their ability:

1. Holding the ability key to Generate Arcane Rifts.
  2. Tapping the ability key while having active Arcane Rifts active.

The ability also cuts down the time the Arcanist is unable to shoot after teleporting by 25%. There’s a lot of things going on so bear with me for a bit as I try to explain.

Generating Arcane Rifts:

When ability key is held, it continuously drains mana from the player (Like the ninja). However, upon consuming a certain amount of mana (ex. spending a total of 80-60 at a rate of 10 mana per second) the player generates an of Arcane Rift on their character. There will also be an indicator showing the direction of said Arcane Rift to the Arcanist. This is to ensure easier management for the number of Arcane Rifts currently generated.Unequipping or switching the ability will discharge all currently destroy all currently active Arcane Rifts. The player will also recieve a Dexterity buff to their Wisdom and Dexterity for each Arcane Rift Active.

The arcane rift expires after a set duration of time. Arcane rifts are visible on the map with a light blue shade and can be teleported to by other players.The players will still experience the Invincible status after teleporting but reduced by 50% if they are using the Arcane Rift.

Using Arcane Rifts:

Upon ability use while having Arcane Rift active If the player releases the ability before hitting the required mana needed to generate the Arcane Rift or quickly pressed the ability they will teleport to the Arcane Rift farthest from them. If they can see the Arcane Rift before teleporting, they will not gain the Invincible status. This can also be referred to as a “Quick Wrap”. Each Aracne Rift generated also gives a small buff to the player. Generating an Arcane Rift on top of another Arcane Rift will despawn the older one.

For UTs, I was thinking of variations such as:

• Having the arcane rift last a very extended duration but trading
  • Enabling the player instantly generate a portal in exchange of its duration being drastically reduced
  • The ability providing a periodical buff for players around it or players that use it
  • Firing a black hole that damages enemies and slows enemies instead of the ability.

Each of which coming with its own features which add balance out the UT. Have yet to generate the sprites the Arcane Rifts due to having reworked this ability, soon to come! (WIP)

Generally, this ability should give the player a large amount of freedom to move and kite enemies in ways the other classes would not be able to as well as access to specialized builds later on if they are comfortable with stats that give them high DPS or survivability.

ABILITY ITEMS

Ironspark Talisman

Made of iron and silver, can generate minor arcane rifts.

A1       

Tier 0
While Ability Key Held:
    MP Cost: 5 MP/sec
When Ability Key released
    Teleport to the nearest Arcane Rift:

Upon Spending 20 MP: Generate an Arcane Rift instead.
Cooldown: 2 Seconds.
Each Arcane Rift gives +1 Wisdom and Dexterity
Max Amount: 2
Ability Duration: 10 seconds.

Silverfire Talisman

An Talisman adorned with runed sapphires. Allows the user to be store and flow magic with ease.

A2       

Tier 1
While Ability Key Held:
    MP Cost: 5 MP/sec

Upon Spending 20 MP: Generate an Arcane Rift instead.
Each Arcane flame gives +1 Wisdom and +1 Dexterity
Max Amount: 2
Ability Duration: 12 seconds.

Dessert Necklace

Ancient gold and jewels capable of culminating powerful magic.

A3       

Tier 2
While Ability Key Held:
    MP Cost: 10 MP/sec

Upon Spending 40 MP: Generate an Arcane Rift instead.
Each Arcane flame gives +1 Wisdom and +1 Dexterity
Max Amount: 3
Ability Duration: 14 seconds.

Rivière of Royal Fire

Used in ceremonies of eons past, wielded only by the strongest arcanists

A4       

Tier 3
While Ability Key Held:
    MP Cost: 12 MP/sec

Each Arcane flame gives +2 Wisdom and Dexterity
Max Amount: 3
Ability Duration: 16 seconds.

Emeraldsky Pendant

Rumored to have been used by before the sky turned blue, when primodial users of magic soared through the skies painting them a brilliant emerald shade.

New%20Piskel(10)        

Tier4
While Ability Key Held:
    MP Cost: 15 MP/sec

Each Arcane flame gives +2 Wisdom and +2 Dexterity
Max Amount: 4
Ability Duration: 18 seconds.

Ancient Arcana Talisman

Not much is known of this Talisman besides its meteoric origins. Its fearsome strength alights only upon those it cannot overwhelm.

Tier 5
While Ability Key Held:
    MP Cost: 20 MP/sec

Upon Spending 60 MP: Generate an Arcane Rift instead.
Max Amount: 4
Ability Duration: 20 seconds.

Talisman of Rites

Worshipers of celestial bodies constructed this sacred talisman to commune with powers which mere morals should not possess.

Tier 6
While Ability Key Held:
    MP Cost: 25 MP/sec

Max Amount: 5
Ability Duration: 22 seconds.

Radiant Trinity

A cosmic band holding three celestial gems, stolen from the gods. Capable of setting the world on fire to those who can grasp its potential.

A6       

Tier 7
While Ability Key Held:
    MP Cost: 25 MP/sec

Max Amount: 5
Ability Duration: 24 seconds.

DPS Graph vs. Damage Oriented Characters (T12)

The white line is the Arcanist with T6 Talisman at max Arcane Rift charges

DPS Graph of the different tiers of Abilities

Note: some abilities produce the same DPS but since each have a max, theres only 4 lines. Again this shows the Arcanist at max charges for their Arcane Flames for each tier.

Also thinking of adding as wis-mod but still need time to figure out how to implement it. Not really too hopeful on this class being added to the game (Rooting for something like “The Bearer” by JohnMH. However I thought it might be fun to speculate a class that can do something like going through bullets, even just for a moment.

Summary and Feedback:

Overall I’m trying to suggest a class that use a reliable series of movement to get damage in and will be able to reward percise control with small movements. I still have yet to add more specifics for the dash mechanic.

The idea for a Arcanist was also partially inspired by some Japanese-like depictions of swordsmen wearing those long cloth garments (ex. Gintoki Sakata from Gin tama, Inuyasha, etc.). Although I wanted to make it a bit more varied from that so I ended up crossing in a bit of inspiration from the DnD class of a Hexblade as well.

I also made this in mind that its essentially a more battle-oriented trickster that provides a unique support to the group of being able to set up points of teleportation (though I’m still deciding whether or not to allow this ability for dungeons which restrict teleportation, leaning towards no to prevent leechers and other jank stuff that non-teleport dungeons might be exposed to). This class requires a lot of set-up in the battle field but can potentially be very consistent in its dps as its teleportation between rifts is essentially always available as long as the player can manage the cooldowns or refresh their rifts.

So I would like to ask for your feedback on the class! Feel free to elaborate in the comments as to why. Generally open to suggestion for stats/sprites/opinions on this!!!

What do you think of the class?

• Class seems great!
  • Class is good.
  • Class is mediocre/okay.
  • Class needs tweaks.
  • Class is bad.

0 voters

Edit notes

Edit #1: Some spelling edits, arbitrary skill changes.

Edit #2: Added a placeholder sprite sheet and tried my hand at making a GIF! Looking to make an animation of the dodge roll/dash soon. Going to be reworking the ability to make it more viable. I’ve decided to scrap the idea of the ability being fire itself as it seems difficult to make a sprites based on fire. I’ve settled for something like Runestones so these sprites will be changed in the future as it seems much more straightforward.

Edit #3: Reworked the ability to try to make it more balanced/viable based on the suggestions received though still not yet finalized (open to edits/suggestions). Going to be looking into refine the sprites and such soon.

Edit #4: Did some formatting to make it look more presentable.

Edit #5: Did some more formatting, Added the buff “Untargetability” instead of “Invulnerability” for balancing.

Edit #6: More formatting, added sprites and a rough sketch for the abilities. Going to move this to Classes now, hoping it works out. Scrapped the whole “Soulfyre” thing for something more simple like Amulets. Sorry @GammaGamer but I might not end up using the sprites you provided :frowning: .

Edit#7: Changed the class name from Hexblade to Arcanist, changed ability name once more to be a Talisman instead. Some more formatting as well. Added DPS charts for abilities. Added a poll.

Edit#8 Decided to save the “reload” mechanic for another class idea if ever I get motivated to make another one. Massive rework to the ability once again.

Leveling characters would not be able to use the t0, t1, etc ability then.

I don’t care if I have some UT dashing ability with a max divine pet, 40 speed is hell as a maxed stat. This means the average level 20 character is going to be moving at a snail speed. Average speed stats of a realm character is 0.52 - 0.58 of maximum, meaning at level 20, it’ll be a breakneck speed of 22 speed.

A katana class with robe armor is extremely unviable. The dash mechanic as you describe it thus far, fails to give pure survivability to the medium range class.

ZOOM

Right! I forgot about leveling and such, I’m gonna keep this in mind next time I edit this.

I was initially worried that the character might get a bit “too mobile” in a sense that I wanted to factor in that the ability is essentially spammable alongside move speed. I was also considered giving it something like the Armored buff or a large HP boost (acting as a sort of shield) during the dash that ends but I thought it might be too powerful.

Thanks for the input! I find these would be very helpful in future edits.

While the current game isn’t healthy enough to introduce it, a dodgeroll mechanic with invincibility frames would fit perfectly. Complete vulnerability at the start and end of the dash, but immune between. Your issue of balancing comes down between a rock and a hard place, being cooldown and pet abilities.

Ideally, you want a cooldown to prevent abuse. But if it’s too high, then the class isn’t mobile. This kind of dash mechanic would be better suited in a game where your players aren’t constantly being healed for 10 - 40 MP every 1 - 3 seconds.

I remember Toastrz mentioning that the team was looking at implementing that mechanic in the future. It’s too early to say if they’ll give up on it or not, but it’s neat that they were at least thinking about it!

Interesting!

Although yeah this is where and why I wanted to place restrictions such as making it a robe class or stuff like that. I generally want to make a class that can just freely move and find ways to weave in damage despite being a medium range class.

I was willing to settle for it being spammable in exchange for vulnerability during the dash but yeah I can see how it just fails to be survivable at that point. I guess I’ll need some time to think about balancing or like the way to implement the dash mechanic, all things considered really appreciate the input so far, thanks!

Oooo this is very interesting information. I’ll keep this in mind for the next edit since I’m mainly gonna be focusing on balancing the ability and stats it seems (as well as some sprite work). Thanks for the heads up!

He do be zooming though

I like the lore, though the class feels like a weaker version of the Trickster, since the latter makes use of higher SPD, teleportation, decoys, and better armor. I personally think adding some healing to the Soulfyres would be a good way to balance out the fragility. The character sprite needs a bit more shading, and the Soulfyre/Rune sprites should all be 8x8. Examples for two of the fire versions are below, though the same applies for runestones.

New%20Piskel%20(28) image

The idea’s not bad overall!

I’ve been wondering why the Soulfyre sprites didn’t seem like abilities to me. I forgot about the 8x8 sprite thing! I’ll update the sprites when I can so thanks for the heads up! As for the strength of the class, I’m still trying to figure out a way to properly balance it.

Would you mind if I used some of these sprites as I really like how it turned out! I’ll try to make the rest of them too based on 8x8, do you have any suggestions for a platform to sprite these models?

https://www.piskelapp.com/p/create
Free, online, and can also make animations. And sure, you can use them! I made them for you anyways :>

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.