Creating a Good Item Idea

Item Idea Mega-Guide
Credits to @Curlip @Scorchmist and @Xaklor for helping!

Item ideas are hard to create, recently there seems to be an increasing amount of incomplete and just boring item ideas, here I’ll try to help you create a better idea and overcome issues as well as give some tips and tricks. If you have a question mention me anytime
@Proasdfase

Below are the sections I would like to go over, I made it like this so you can read the whole thing or skip to the section you need more help with.
Common Mistakes and Things to Avoid

I would like to quote Xaklor here

These are 3 categories A LOT of item ideas fall into. I will explain them more

1. it’s overpowered

You might think making an item overpowered is going to be liked since it’ll be used. But on the forums we look for atleast somewhat balanced ideas. If you make a UT item and it’s a direct upgrade from a tiered item, that is a strong hint that your item is overpowered. Compare your item to other items of the same type and try to balance it out from there.

2. Status effect pile-up

This is very common throughout the forums. People just introduce a random new status effect and throw it around into another item. The problem? It’s boring, if it’s just a new status effect try adding some other mechanic or do something smart with it. VERY rarely an item is liked that is merely a status effect(s).

3. OP with some random nerf

You want to create an item, but it’s overpowered!! You might think of some random nerf that might not work very well. You should think about the nerf more. How the “nerf” you created can be countered.

4. Boring as hell

ok boyz new armor has +18 def and -3 spd for leather armor!!
Well there’s not much wrong with it it’s just boring. If you just tweak stats you should probably include it in a set or a compilation of items.

You also want to look at
About the Ideas category
this thread and look at the Common ideas to avoid list, it’s generally a bad idea to post an idea that is in that list.

Complexity
Read Xaklor’s quote here:

Complicated items are fine sometimes, if your idea needs a lot of explaining it’s all good, as long as if it’s actually used in-game the person using it will quickly grasp what the item does.

However overly complicated is another story, if you compare your item to UT items currently in-game and find that you went completely overboard then I suggest you tweak it!

What's in a "Good Idea?"

Good ideas usually have atleast one of these 3 characteristics in them.

1. Changes the playstyle of the character
2. Can be used and effective in a wide variety of scenarios
3. Item name goes well with the sprite, effect and lore

If you have all 3 of the characteristics up above, most likely you have created a good item!
Talking more in-depth now-

1. Changing the playstyle of the character

It should offer something new to the character and how the user of the item plays the game.
Why? Because items that offer a different playstyle will appeal to MORE people. Diverse playstyles in characters allow players to pick and choose, which way they want to play it and giving the character a nice touch. This is what UT items are here for.

2. Can be used in a wide variety of scenarios

If you made an item that is only good for a specific scenario, it will be useless most of the time in others. It should be able to be used in many situations and NOT just one. You should provide examples in your item idea to make it more clear to the reader.

For example

helm of water breathing you get perma water breathing

The idea is only useful in the ocean trench, and is too specific. Not good

Sprite, name effect work together well

This is more optional, but if an idea has a cool theme it goes VERY well and it’s more impressive.
It wouldn’t make much sense if a fire based helmet was blue right? So you should try to make the sprite effect, and name go together.

Note: drop locations , feed and fame bonuses aren’t required but remember when creating a drop location make it something non-farmable.

MP Cost Issues

I’ve seen a lot of people with the issue that the MP cost is too low for their item and “Divine Pet Users can Perma it” so they make the MP cost really high to counter divine pet users, but at that point Divine Pet Users are the only people who would even consider the item because the MP cost is so high!

So don’t completely base your MP cost around countering the folks with +45 MP/s make it so players with poor pets can use it to. Here are two ways how.

If your ability is something that uses MP/s

For example, ninja stars they use 10 MP/s, if your ability does something like that I suggest using the MP scaling method.

This method is where the mana cost per second gets higher the longer the player holds the ability.
So it will look something like

• 5 Mp/s for the first 3 seconds

• 10 Mp/s for the next 3 seconds

• 20 Mp/s for the next 3 seconds

and so on, when you release the effect there will be a 4 second cooldown

Basically using this method, the MP cost starts very low so people with terrible pets can use the item effect for a fair amount of time BUT it progressively gets higher the longer the effect is held. This is so good pet users DO get a benefit but they can’t perma the effect because the MP cost per second will eventually get too high for them to sustain their MP.

If your item idea is just 1 actuation MP cost

I would suggest giving it a cooldown, when you give an item a cooldown everyone will have to wait a designated amount of time before using it so it’s not spammed. OR giving an MP deficit as a stat bonus. For example giving your item -80 MP on equip so the player has a lower MP pool and can’t spam the ability multiple times in a row

Sprite Help

When creating a sprite use http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/draw.html

NOTE: When creating an item sprite THERE IS A GLITCH where the item won’t save, to fix this go to realmofthemadgod.com (the actual game website) and click log out, if you are signed out it should be able to save.

When I create sprites I usually have an image in my head already. To get some inspiration look at the TIERED item sprite for the item or search in the art maker for some sprites. You can also look at the other ideas on the forums, some have very nice spritework.
You can’t actually save the sprite as a file from the art maker so take a screenshot and crop it with Paint MS.

Here are the sizes your ideas should be

Item: 8x8
Character: 8x8 (recommended) can be 16x16
enemies: 8x8 or 16x16

Thinking of a Concept

Thinking of a concept, you need a concept to start off your item but what should it be?

Realm is a small game and not many “concepts” are implemented in the game so far, think of any other games you play, look at existing items on the forum as they may inspire you and make sparks go off in your head leading to a new item idea.

Projectile GIF

Want a GIF like this on your item idea? Creating one is fairly easy. Go on http://www.pfiffel.com/dps/ and choose the weapon preview, clicking will shoot the weapon. Open the weapon editor on the side and choose a unique projectile sprite and shot pattern.

Next, to record the GIF I recommend ShareX there is a tutorial on how to do this here: How to GIF like the cool kids

Here is a GIF of me playing around with the editor and creating some random projectile pattern

The End

It’s time to post it, but it’s not done when you post it. Forum goers will come to your item idea and criticize it, suggest new things to it. Suggestions are good but do not listen to every single suggestion you get. If you do, your item will become a trash fest. Add only what you think will be good for your idea.

Of course there is trial and error involved in creating items, go out and make your idea it probably won’t be perfect but you are one step closer already if you tried and perhaps reading this guide helped you.

Feel free to leave suggestions to the guide or give me questions below

inb4 “proasdfase u didn’t even follow ur own criteria on the items you made!!!”

New Trap (Cookie-Cake trap)
The Mason: A Class Idea by POWER
Item Ideas (How to make your ideas better!)
Quiver of Heavens
New item: Limon's Last Revenge

This post is long overdue.

Also, keeping the idea simple is a safe bet. (I’m bad at keeping my ideas simple).

rip, you left out my other two ways to think of ideas. the least you could’ve done is made my grammar better in that quote :confused:

here is the more full version, if anyone wants to see it, and its horrible grammar

I fixed your grammar and added it!!!

you can make it complex as it seems but as long as someone who uses it in-game can grasp it easily you’re good.

For example my skull, sounds complex as hell but if you actually use it in-game you’ll “get” the effect after a short amount of timc

Nice guide! It’s definitely a help to any aspiring creator out there.
Hopefully the @moderators pin this or something.

[An excellent idea, if I do say so myself. OB]

This is what you were talking about on discord, sadly this will probably get buried, we need to find a way to get this visible to more people in the ideas section.

Anyway just want to drop this here, along with a couple of my ideas.

(from the discussion on discord)

####Other things to think about.

• IAmShurima’s Poison Idea had some really good thought to it, I thought the MP Cost section under the Thought Process section really well thought out. I’m not saying everyone has to make there idea like this, but maybe give it a read or skim over some sections if your looking to get some balancing ideas for abilities.

• Maybe give a brief mention to drop location, making an item drop from somewhere easily farmable is not a great idea because of something that gets a lot of mention on the forum, risk reward ratio. From example i made on of my ideas drop as a white from the forbidden jungle. Which looking back, even though it would have been a rare drop forbidden jungle would be easily farmed by maxed characters looking to get the item. Creating a Low Risk to a High Reward.

• Possibly letting people know that you don’t need to fill out Fame/FP or maybe even Drop Location for an Item to be considered complete, but if you do fill it out people will analyse it as well.

Anyway that’s all I really had to say. I think this is a great idea which anyone wanting to make an idea should read.

thanks a lot! good points I will do all above

Ohhhhhhh NOW I see why @Trofimowen’s square necromancer set was such a popular hit!

finally we got dis

@OtherBill you really to sneak edit other’s posts instead of replying to them don’t you? :stuck_out_tongue:

[Mmmmmaybe. OB]

congrats on pin, im surprised! wait. imma see if mods will pin the formating guide

Don’t know what you’re talking about, those are my words.

Nice looking guide.

But I find it funny that one of the more complained about aspects of item sprites isn’t mentioned.

“sprite isn’t 8x8 so your whole idea is invalid”

lol, shurima even made me a meme for it.

Wow, what a good meme!

The whole reason nobody wants to make sprites when making ideas, then they get attacked because they didn’t make the sprites…

wait? they cant just make a sprite with 8X8, i just get piggby to make me one.

It’s that an item sprite can’t be 8x8. It just doesn’t really work with the game.
Look at the items for the Gladiator and Rosen skins. They don’t fit very well in an inventory slot.