Demon Blade exists, I guess?

I feel like that everyone who’s been playing this game for over a week can agree that Demon Blade isn’t that good. While going deep with a Demon Blade is rewarding, the sword holds absolutely no candle to the superior Pixie Sword. Not only does Pixie have more general use than Demon Blade, but it tends to out damage it, sometimes by great amounts. Now remember; Demon Blade isn’t inherently bad, it’s simply outclassed by another option. I propose a simple change that will not only make Demon Blade more viable than Pixie for raw damage in some situation, but will keep Pixie Sword as the superior sword for most endgame use. Just add armor pierce on Demon Blade. Not only would that make you consider carrying it around for more scenarios (high defense enemies that don’t get armor borked), but it is just fitting to the item itself. It’s a Demon Blade, aka fire, and armor piercing attacks in this game are highly associated with fire. If an enemy can get armor broken, then Pixie will still be the better sword, especially if exposed is also present to increase the Pixie Sword’s additional two shots.

Yeah, that’s not overpowered at all. Red is new dblade

I have to disagree, since Demon Blade is so situational you rarely get to connect both shots. If the boss is both armor broken and exposed (which happens a lot in late game play where DPS is most important), Pixie trumps those numbers. An armor piercing Demon Blade would see most use on knights, either for clearing enemies that they can get stunned or Crystal Shield knights going regal deep on bosses, and I personally feel like knight should be able to have a good regal deep damage option for enemies with high defense stats that doesn’t rely on a realm white. Pixie Sword is good for hitting hard to hit enemies as well as being the best damage sword, while Demon Blade’s only use is going for high damage.

idk man an AP demon blade sounds pretty good ngl

No one goes deep on endgame bosses… Not to mention, that’s an insane amount of dps

This is just broke. Against weaker monsters, the dps is is simply too high. Sure it doesn’t work well against stronger monsters. However, neither does pixie cause pixies dps gets entirely outclassed. What you’re doing here is making dblade outclass pixie instead of pixie ourclass dblade

Also, in raw dps, dblade outdamages pixie at over 5 def. Not to mention, pixie rapidly loses damage over defence and drops really low really fast…

Just also as a extra, am I the only one who sees pixie as way over valued? Landing three shots of pixie is equal to one shot from an acclaim at 0 def. In other words, unless you’re landing all 4 or really need 4.5 range, isn’t acclaim just better then pixie?

I over-value pixie because I can’t aim- the 4 shot spread helps me hit things lmao

Doesn’t the entire concept of DPS kinda get rendered moot by the time you’re doing endgame stuff?

replying… spoopy

:o
long time no see

There’s crossover points in this idea, 1) is Dblade in need of a buff? 2) should there be an armour-pierce sword? 3) should Dblade be that sword?

I disagree with the initial construction of the argument based on Dblade being not that good, it is a great funtime to have a Dblade throwaway max warrior! Let me try to explain why it works for me:

I don’t swap weapons intensely on melee, I prefer to focus on hitting and moving accurately via keys and mouse. Using Dblade is making a statement that “these enemies pose low threat to me”. So I’ll use it in situations where most of the time I am happy to be facefirst into things, yet if there is an occasional higher threat I can back out as far as 3.3 tiles and it still has a “good enough” DPS out of hitting only one shot.

If I try to do this with Pixie, at full strength/close range they are basically the same weapon but Pixie has a fast drop off as enemies get higher in DEF and I don’t have the inclination to learn all the enemy DEF stats to know where one is better than the other, (& the things die so fast it’s fairly irrelevant). And at backing-away distance, I’m doing less damage because I’m now hitting only with one or two of Pixie’s shots, so I might as well swap to a purpose longer range weapon, which I don’t want to do in the midst of being threatened.

Now, if someone doesn’t do this type of playstyle, I can see Dblade hasn’t got a niche over Pixie. Or if you are ballsier you can stay on Pixie and be at a closer range, to keep 3 or 4 shots going. Although the truly ballsy would just continue to use Dblade trying to hit both always! (lastly, an aside: autoaimers love Pixie since they don’t need to make any efforts on aiming, and can concentrate more highly on movement & staying in optimum range).

So I would veto the idea, and humbly suggest that if an armour-pierce sword is going to be designed, it can be done as a new item, and leave Dblade out of the mix. @Leohe summed it up well, this would merely powercreep Dblade above Pixie, and next thing people would want Pixie to be buffed.

:open_mouth:

Knights useful in halls, even if nots that useful on the actual boss.

Maybe it should ignore a specific amount of DEF, like skulls.

I’ve always thought that it needs to be changed in such a way to where its shots are no longer like this < and are instead like this =

It would make it MUCH easier and better to use in any given situation.

Then again, I think the original intent was to give early players a decent sword without too much trouble in getting one.

I don’t think your solution directly addresses the issue with the item.
I think it could simply use a boost in damage for more late-game viability or some tinkering with the range.
Regardless the Demon Blade certainly needs an upgrade although in the current state of the game, we probably shouldn’t expect to see one anytime soon.

(Activating nostalgia glasses :sunglasses: )
A lot of the Wild Shadow era UTs were about being way different from the tiered items, to give players something different to do - consider EP and Bulwark. Dblade being one of the more normal items compared to those two! Though still taking skill to use consistently well without dying/ammybreaking.

It always was a rare item to loot, and a very expensive item to trade for (200+ def at some times -Kazansky price guide) partly as a result of rarity, but also because it was a desirable item for endgame players to use.

Wow did it really used to be that rare? I guess before pixie and all that, it was probably the strongest sword as long as you hit both shots.

It is true that numerous armor-piercing attacks are associated with the idea of fire. However, the Demon Blade has always been an old-timer weapon, its first appearance dating around 7-8 years (IIRC). Suddenly changing its most core mechanic would change the gameplay for so many in a negative way.

I think RotMG has held the heart of so many because of its original style and nostalgia.

I have countless Demon Blades in my Vault. Believe me, I would like a boost (same for so many other weapons, including the Dirk of Cronus), but I don’t think this is the way to go.

So keeping this thread up, here’s my proposition (ALL OF THE CHANGES ARE BOLDED):

OLD

Tier UT
Shots 2 (arc gap: 40°)
Damage 150–175 (average: 162.5 / total: 325)
Projectile Speed 13 tiles/second
Lifetime 0.26 seconds
Range 3.38 tiles (true range: 1.37 tiles)
Rate of Fire 100%
Fame Bonus 6%
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 800

NEW

Tier UT
Shots 2 (arc gap: 60°)
Damage 130–155 (average: 142.5 / total: 285)
Projectile Speed 13 tiles/second
Lifetime 0.26 seconds
Range 3.38 tiles (true range: 1.37 tiles)
Rate of Fire 120%
Fame Bonus 6%
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 800

So now its harder to get both shots in, plus the damage is lower. However, the Rate of Fire is boosted.

Old Demon Blade (RED), Pixie (PINK), New Demon Blade (BLUE)

So overall, it has a higher damage output in exchange for more danger, making it a good choice for Knights or against stunned/weak enemies. It is better for clearing weaker minions (so great for dungeons like the Abyss of Demons) and even on a Boss, as long as it is stunned properly.

good damage but a 0.866 true range. Not even a full tile… Maybe also make the shot linger a bit?

Hm…maybe. But I don’t want the shots to be too slow because the demon theme is supposed to be “aggressive and fast” (like the enemies in the dungeon).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.