Developing a RotMG Sprite Design Guide

In my opinion the RotMG sprite editor is one of the greatest features the devs have ever built for the community. There are countless examples of amazing sprite art from hundreds of creative and talented players.

…but there are just as many examples of ugly sprites without any sense of design, color, or shape.

That’s not necessarily bad. It’s great to have the freedom to experiment and learn and share what you’ve made. In no way do I want to impair this creativity.

What I do want, however, is art that fits with the games established style. Design guides are a common method of defining the rules by which graphics and interfaces are to look and behave.

The designer of the original sprites used by RotMG had a clear and consistent style. To a large degree Willem, the artist hired by Wild Shadow and responsible for much of the games best art (trench, manor, guild hall, oryx castle, forbidden jungle, cemetery, Davy Jones’s Locker, and on and on), also had a great sense of how essential it was that sprites and environments harmonize but also distinguish themselves from one another.

That these things look this way isn’t by chance. Rules and conventions guided the game’s artists toward these designs. What I propose is to create a loose set of design guidelines for the wider community to use in creating art that fits with the existing art in the game.

However, i’ll be the first to admit I haven’t got a creative bone in my body. XKCD draws better stick figures than I do. By far. What I can do, though, is identify some characteristics of the current game art.

For example, look at that sprite sheet I linked above. Notice how all the art has no more than 4 colors in total? And how every class and monster have a different silhouette?

Next look at some of Willem’s dungeon art. Notice how it follows similar patterns? He used slightly more colors in his individual sprites, but he was careful to keep a limited number and often they were used to create shapes within the outline of the sprite itself. Pets are a great example of this. Multiple colors aren’t there to provide shading and gradients. They create texture and shape through contrast and lines. More than anyone else before or since he had a great grasp of color theory and sprite art in particular.

We’re not all graphic designers, and we don’t need to be. But if we can identify some basic patterns and build a guide on how to create art that best fits within the design of the game I think we could really improve the quality and usability of the art in the sprite editor.

So, what do you think? What do you think makes good art work, and what makes other art a bad fit for the game?

Creating sprites guide
Least Favourite Sprites
Changed up the prod rings a bit
Least Favorite Realm Enemy?

One of the biggest mistakes I see on the Sprite editor are the angles the sprites are presented at.

What I mean is that the side sprites of most entities in the game are not at a complete 0/180 degree angle. You can usually see both eyes and both limbs on a pair of limbs.

Also colors. There are some sprites on the draw tool that have a horrendous color scheme, some having terrible contrast, some not fitting the entity, and some with extremely vibrant colors

The shape of sprites seem to be a problem too. Some sprites I’ve seen have legs and arms that are one pixel wide and just straight forward.

Proportions are also very important. The body-head-limb ratio needs to be decent, or else your sprite will look deformed and twisted. The eyes also can’t be too big and they need to be spaced evenly. Also no 16x16 items sprites.

Sometimes I see projectiles and other unnecessary particles on a sprite, and it honestly looks ugly. I mean why would you put a giant unshaded green blob on your sprites that covers half of it? That’s what shot sprites are for! These are usually supposed to be energy blasts or lasers, but they ruin the sprite.

Also stop making Minecraft sprites for ideas it’s not going to get in the game!

If you can, refrain from recolors.

How to get better
• Practice
-This is the only way that I know to get better. My first sprites were horrendous but as I made more I progressively got better. Although the ironic thing is that the only sprite that I got in the game is the 3rd or 4th sprite I made.

These are just my opinions they may be wrong.

Something RotMG lacks in its art is consistency. The original Oryx sprites and many of the other early sprites are very simple as you described. It gets the job done and has a sort of charm to it, but they’re nothing incredible.

Many of the later sprites like Willem’s designs have more shading, more color variety and stand out more as something truly impressive. Dungeons you mentioned like the Haunted Cemetery, Davy Jones’s Locker, Forbidden Jungle, Manor of the Immortals, etc. are often regarded as some of the best-looking dungeons in the game, and rightfully so.

What the game needs to ask itself at this point is what it wants to stick with. The problem is that either choice will stick out from the other style. Default class skins already look strange when going through a Lair of Draconis with beautiful and heavily shaded sprites. But then again, the simplicity of the core sprites may be the for the best so the player can keep track of players.

One interesting thing about the progression in this game, intentional or not, is how sprites becoming more intimidating based on how detailed they are. Going from a Scorpion Queen to a Leviathan is a noticeable different. Sprites get progressively more detailed (and therefore more threatening) as you go to the Lowlands, Midlands, Highlands and Mountains, then into tougher and tougher dungeons.

This is one of the reasons I’m against a full sprite revamp of early art for the game. Yes, you could make Arachna’s sprite less vomit-inducing, but people tend to go overboard and make it super detailed and frightening, giving the wrong impression for an early game boss.

The Epic Dungeons represent what I’m talking about very well. Look at Arachna and the Son of Arachna side-by-side.

Even if you disregard their size difference in-game, one of these is clearly a greater foe than the other. That doesn’t excuse legitimately bad spites like Arachna and there are a select few sprites that really could use a makeover, but it can’t be overdone or it’ll just create a more confusing contrast.

The Forest Maze has some pretty nice sprites. From the looks of it, you might assume it’s a mid-game dungeon, but it’s actually just a small step above a Pirate Cave. I can’t fault the artists for making a low-level dungeon look good, but it is a bit strange to a new player since they likely won’t see any more sprites of that quality until a while later into the game’s progression (bar the Forbidden Jungle if they find one).

New Arachna Sprite
Lost Halls Dungeon Idea
Redoing old enemy sprites
[Spoilers] Further Tome Changes, Reconstruction/MotMG/Early Game Rework and more

Very nice analysis, not something I noticed before!

Thanks!

Bumping this back up to add an image I ran across recently while spelunking realm archives. Sadly I didn’t record who made this, but I thought it a great illustration of where much of the art I’ve seen recently, imho, goes too far trying to be complex and fancy.

Sprites for an archer set!

I saw this once on the Kabam forums. It’s a pretty neat image

I’m no expert at any form of graphic design… but damn, I do enjoy reading these posts with well thought out discussions. Please keep it up guys.
Also a guide to UI design templates and other key features relevant to the design style of RotMG would be a very useful addition to the resources of the game - if nothing then to serve as a helpful guideline for aspiring graphic designers.

Hayy, guys. I need some clarification on enemy sprites… how many frames do enemies have in total?

Characters have 5 for facing forward, 5 for facing backward, 5 for facing sideways, which is flipped for the other side.
Each side has 1 for attack, 2 for walk, and 2 for attack.

Are enemies and bosses are different? Sometimes, I see sprites which has more than 2 frames of walk/idle, like skuld, or pup master’s healing priest puppets. Do we have a set of rules for these?

Usually every enemy has 5 frames, although some like Xil and Void Entity have more frames dedicated to certain animations (teleporting and melting into the purple crap) to add a more dynamic and visually appealing element to the fight.

Some enemies are simple and the reuse frames for multiple purposes.

Thanks, Piggby! If this current project gets done, I’ll be sure to credit you :+1:

Recent reddit post by @NitroPylon regarding RotMG’s inconsistant art.

Massive necrobump, but will the reconstructed dungeons screw with that? I assume your stance hasn’t changed, though it was 3 years ago.

Hahah yeah, my stance isn’t the same at all. There’s a point within making sprites more intimidating but I think it’s silly now to say sprites shouldn’t be of professional quality just because they’re early game.

Dreadstump isn’t 32x32.

mb misread the niegil leak haha