Do You Listen To Game Music Or Your Own Music?

People in-game have been saying “oh, they made a slight change in this song”, or “ooh, this new song slaps” as you zoomers say.

This had me wondering whether you listen to RotMG soundtrack, or listen to your own personal collection of mp3’s.

I began using in-game music, then I had the urge to listen to my own music, because I couldn’t find time to listen to my own music, since gaming was taking up all of my time, so I have music option lowered to 0, and I listen to Spotify while I play video games.

What about you?

• I listen to in-game music.
  • I listen to my own music.

0 voters

Back when I played rotmg I would mostly listen to audio play instead of music

I’m about 3 seconds of RotMG theme away from mass murder. Can’t risk letting the music play. I usually game with a video or livestream on the side. I think the only modern game of mine that’s allowed to play music is FTL.

I occasionally listen to the music because there’s some good tracks, but I’ve played the game on mute for most of my ~7 years with no side music, so I’m aware of my physical surroundings.

:rofl:

Sometimes I turn it on, but most of the time I listen to music via YT.
Ironically, sometimes it’s other albums by WangleLine >u<

I wonder if that’s something that other games might be improved on if they followed in the same pattern, because FTL has several tracks per area, and when one finishes the next one begins. That way the song doesn’t loop enough to get tiresome and because the combat tracks are variations of the originals you don’t have to worry about one track abruptly ending another one. I haven’t heard the new tracks for rotmg but I can say with absolute certainty that the original version definitely would be improved with this kind of approach

This game has music? I only listen to Vulfpeck while I play.

I like games that do that when they can pull it off. Suites are a kind of music type I adore, and even if those games don’t utilize true suites, having a cycling soundtrack is also cool. Sid Meier’s games did that a lot.

They’re still heavily limited, and would definitely fit somefin akin to what you mentioned.
Currently, every area has only one theme that plays there; meaning you hear the same exploratory jingle in the lowlands as in the mountains, and you hear the same epic drums and glitchy noises while clearing Oryx’s Sanctuary as you do while fighting the Exalted God Of Exalted Exaltation (Exalted form).

Personally, I’m quite a fan of Celeste’s approach: adding parts to a track the further you progress. An example would be the near lack of instruments at the start of the third chapter, which already builds up at the next two screens.
For Realm, i reckon the best implementation would be akin to healthbars - activating a track when in range of a boss.

Though one QoL would already be a slightly smoother transition between tracks, as it’s a little rough right now…

Yes. This is part of the whole suite gig, sometimes! Reoccurring themes that build each other, and when the theme is solid, it makes most of the songs really good. The “build” approach you described is used in some of my favorite soundtracks.

That’s what I try to do, but with the free plan, it seems like I hear more McDonald’s ads than the music I’m actually trying to listen.

Where’s the “i don’t listen to music while playing?”

I used to listen to electronic music during my first months of playing, but now its a mix between the 2. In fact, just like Seelpit.

I do have to say, rotmg NEEDS a sound engineer. There is so much good stuff you can do with music and sound effects in games…

Thank you for making me discover this group, I’m loving it!

The vault music is magnificient

hehehehehehe~

Until 90% of the areas and dungeons of the game have their respective ost’s, I probably won’t have game music on… as much as I love to hear the OG rotmg theme occasionally, listening to it for more than an hour will cause me to go crazy

I don’t listen to in game music much, I’m normally in a voice call with people, or just don’t want to play with sound, but when I do turn the sound on, I love it.

My favorite is the candyland theme, when grinding for the fairy seal and ring to complete the set

I’ll go with either, depends on how I’m feeling at the time really.