DPS Formula

I was wondering what the DPS formula was. Does anyone know what it is?

uhhhh damage dealt divided by the amount of seconds?

((Average Weapon Damage per Shot * (0.5 + ATT/50)) * Number of Shots) * (1.5 + 6.5*(DEX/75)) = Damage per Second (Before Defense)

from https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/dex-vs-att

Thanks

The formula @PrimeGrind provided is correct, but I’d also just like to add that it uses the AVERAGE weapon damage per shot and therefore it results in the AVERAGE weapon DPS. Some weapons have a very large range of possible shot damage that means that the chances your DPS is close to the AVERAGE weapon DPS are lower (for example, Keychain Cutlass), but others have a smaller range (with an extreme example being Ray Katana, which is the most CONSISTENT damage in the game iirc) of values that makes the AVERAGE DPS much more obtainable and thus reliable.

Also keep in mind that special effects such as Weak, Dazed, Stunned, Berserk, Damaging, Curse, Armor Break, Exposed, etc will affect DPS, and to consider this. In general, DEX is better if you have shot damage-modifying status effects like Damaging and Weak and ATT is better if you have shot speed-modifying status effects like Berserk or Dazed.

DEX in general, performs better on classes with high damage per shot or high ATT (for example, Archer/Huntress) while ATT is better on classes with lower damage per shot or high DEX (stuff like dagger classes and Bard). This is only a rule of thumb, and is not 100% accurate. Optimizing DPS depends also a lot on the situation. DEX is better at lower DEF, ATT is better at higher DEF.

Finally, there’s also a difference between THEORETICAL DPS and PRACTICAL DPS. Theoretical DPS is just how much you can hit based on the pure numbers, but it differs from practical DPS in the sense it isn’t always achievable. Items like Cult Staff (Staff of Unholy Sacrifice), and EP (Staff of Extreme Prejudice) have the potential to do some of the highest DPS in the game, but you have to get very close or even sit on enemies, and this isn’t always possible especially given that staff classes are squishy. Therefore, while you might be able to get 12k+ solo DPS on a mystic, you wouldn’t be able to actually use that on everything (which is part of the reason why a solo mystic void is probably not possible rn)

I don’t know what you specifically want the DPS formula for, but I figure that this extra information can’t hurt. Sorry for the wall of text if it’s hard to read, I tried to split it up into smaller chunks.

Do you need a dps calculator?

I already use the pfiffel dps one, but the numbers seem to be different…

Pfiffel is greatly outdated and has not been updated in a long time.

Haizor is the preferred calculator these days. You can find it at https://www.haizor.net/rotmg/dps-calculator/.

This is probably due to pfiffel (and indeed all DPS calculators) taking the average of the result of the formula over all possible damage rolls, which can yield a slightly different number than just using the formula once with an average roll (depending on the defense value you’re calculating at).

( ( (Avg DMG * (0.5 + ATT/50) ) - DEF ) * Number of Shots) * (1.5 + 6.5 * (DEX/75) ) = Dps (After DEF)

I assume would be the formula with def included? I need to confirm this for a DPS table I’m making for the wiki. I didn’t find it anywhere.

I know that after 85% this formula is certainly wrong, however the data will only include 0 def and 20 def values.

edit: nvm, confirmed. Now I only need an excel formula to cap at 85% damage reduction.

I’m kind of confused now, because I read something on the wiki I think and they said the maximum damage was never used, so if I use the formula with the average dps I get haizor’s dps and if I use the formula with the one less maximum damage dps, I get pfiffel’s dps.

You’re correct. I can’t confirm for myself if it is true that the maximum damage is never rolled, though.

But assuming it is never rolled like wiki says, Haizor DPS Tool is wrong by a few points because it uses the maximum damage value.

wrong:

correct:

Never rolling the max damage in the game needs to be fixed though. That’s certainly not intended.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.