Efficiency formula. (Finding your best armor/ring set)

We have all had the same question about what armor or ring to use on one of our characters but we most of the time end up with the same problem. Is this better than that?

And I had the same question when I first got my leaf armor; Should I use it over my hydra? is the 50hp really worth it?
After doing some math back in the day I came up with the conclusion. Yeah, it is actually better than an hydra (in terms of survivability)

It took a long while until I touched the topic again but it wasn’t until one day, bored in math class, I started to wonder “is using a fplate over an acrop worth it on a paladin?”. And since that moment I started to play around with the numbers, comparing stats, how much damage I am able to take, etc. But at that point it was just me writing numbers with no clear answer. I started to arrange the numbers, giving more sense to it, and it took a while unti I finally developed the Efficency Formula:

With this formula you can easily compare which armor/ring can give you the best survivability by comparing defense and health depending on the equipment you are wearing or would like to wear.

Let’s use my old question as an example:

Acrop vs FPlate

imageimage

Let’s start with Acrop, using this armor on an 8/8 paladin you will end up with 960hp and 54def.
Now let’s replace those values on the formula and after doing the math we would end up with:

Which means our character survived with 288 health remaining.

Now let’s compare this using a FPlate.

imageimage

By using this set we would have 1000hp and 50def, but is it worth it? let’s see:

Our character survived with 300 health remaining, only 12 more hp than Acrop which doesn’t seems like a lot, but let’s remember FPlate also gives a 40mp boost which means FPlate is better than Acrop, not only we survive with more health but we also get extra mana which can result on an extra seal buff, stun or berserk (if your pet isn’t that good).

This formula also proves Breastplate (mbc armor) is better than CC Armor :o! (you can test it by yourself)

You can use this formula with any class and any ring/armor combinations you would like to compare and then determine which items would benefit you the most.
For a more accurate result please make sure you have hp and def maxed, using this formula on an unmaxed character might give you negative numbers. In which case, replace the 7 with a 4.

Please take note this formula is mainly focused on survivability, if you have a more aggresive playstyle or ability focused then a Crown, Shendyt, Resu armor, etc. might suit you better.

Hope this helps everyone to find out their their best set and if you took the time to read all of this and make it this far, congratulations you deserve a cookie :3 :cookie: :fox_face:

Glawi's notebook then

it used to make sense, now it looks like numbers everywhere ;w;

Defense Rings Suck
Balancing RotMG's many aspects
Tiered Rings Rebalance
The General Chat Thread

Interesting formula, nice job! :slightly_smiling_face:

Only thing I’ll add is it really depends on situation. Higher difficulty dungeons tend to promote the use of an HP-centric set. I always get laughed at for using UBDef on my pally because I don’t dodge in abysses so def helps me more.

Also, your formula works better for those harder dungeons since you’re using 150 (relatively hard hitting projectile) as damage. Makes sense though, you lost halls monkey. Xd

Item quality is base on the player choice and opinion not the math formula

I mean if math can prove Fplate to be better than acrop than it is fact and player opinion no longer matters, plus armor break makes Fplate even better than acrop
However this system is of course iffy because of quick low damage enemies but as flying brain tells us, those enemies don’t really matter

might be easier to just use hp+7*def, since it yields the same results

I love doing algebra when I’m trying to play a video game.

I love when math triumphs over a bunch of arguing people… Anyway great job on this, but do you actually use this to calculate what to put on each character?

I wouldn’t go as far as saying “opinions don’t matter”, one of those two armors is worth 8X as much as the other and an extremely rare drop from a nearly impossible-to-find dungeon. and according to this formula, you only protect yourself from 12 extra damage. the end result (you not dying), is basically the same. as for +40 MP, it depends on who you ask and how good their pet is as to whether or not that matters.

obviously if you’re as wealthy as glawi and can spend whatever on any item you want, you’ll pick fplate all the time. but if you’re strapped for resources, whether or not the 12 HP difference is worth the octuple price is a pretty important opinion you might want to consider. in the end, it still takes the same amount of medusa bombs to get killed and MP is a debatable stat.

this is pretty handy assuming you only care about absolute maximization, but I wouldn’t say it stamps out opinion entirely.

this is much easier to work with and remember, thx

Well yes, I definitely agree that player opinion matters on whether the extra 12 health of survivalbility and 20 mp is worth the cost, but the ignoring the cost, in almost every situation FPlate is statwise better

Interesting formula, but I think you should to consider stat bonues from all items together. To use your Leaf Hide example, if you consider the possible combinations of armor and ring, the Leaf Hide only makes sense to use if you really want its spd, or you want to stack its HP with a pure HP ring. Otherwise you can get better combinations of def and hp by using other equips. Leaf hide with ubdef is as dumb as CC with with ubdex.

That’s the main function of it, compare items and then determine which items would benefit you the most.
Let’s use our previous example again; by looking at it you could say, “oh fplate is better then that’s what Im going to use on my knight from now on” however, you might also have a resu armor in your vault. And that’s when you get to decide if you really would like the extra bit of hp and mp or use resu instead for a huge boost of mp.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.