Enchantment System (Part 1 of 2)

See Part 2 of 2 here

Given how the addition of enchantments will be the next big step towards broadening Realm’s very narrow horizon of viable alternative play styles, I’m worried about the direction that Deca may guide us on with this soon-to-come update. I realize that this post is much too late to offer any kind of inspired changes (like they even look at these Idea posts) to the developers since they’ve been working on it for the past year, but I’d still like to see what the general Realm community thinks of this basic enchantment system concept:

Enchanter Locations:

Abstract:

• Enchantments should be nothing like dungeon modifiers; gold transactions shouldn’t be the only way to acquire enchantments. Ideally, fame should be the leading example of currency required in order to enchant your items.

• In general, enchantments should also be mildly achievable by all players, not just by the most seasoned veterans. I say this in juxtaposition to a possible correlation between Enchantments and Exaltations, if Deca decides to go that route.

Enchanting Prerequisites:

• Firstly, Rank/Star prerequisite: depending on the weapon/armor you want to enchant, you need to have a correlating amount of stars from those/that specific armor/weapon/ability classes. For example, if you are enchanting a leather armor just once, you must have at least 1 star on all leather-armored classes. If you are trying to have two enchantments on it, you must have 2 stars on all leather classes, etc.

Specified information found below:

Enchantment Cap on Tiered Items
Stars needed from corresponding weapon/armor/ability classes Max Enchant. Cap
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
Total Rank you need to enchant Tiered Rings Max Enchant. Cap
18 Dark blue fame star 1
36 Red fame star 2
54 Orange fame star 3
72 Yellow fame star 4
90 White fame star 5
Enchantment Cap on UT/ST Items with ≤ 4% XP Bonus
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
Total Rank you need to enchant Rings Max Enchant. Cap
18 Dark blue fame star 1
36 Red fame star 2
54 Orange fame star 3
72 Yellow fame star 4
90 White fame star 5
Enchantment Cap on UT/ST Items with 5/6% XP Bonus
1 1
2 1
3 2
4 3
5 4
22 Dark blue fame star 1
45 Red fame star 2
66 Orange fame star 3
90 White fame star 4
Enchantment Cap on UT/ST Items with 7/8% XP Bonus
1 1
2 1
3 2
4 2
5 3
30 Dark blue fame star 1
60 Orange fame star 2
90 White fame star 3

• Second, a fame fee is expected in order to purchase an enchantment (the amount required is heavily dependent on the item’s tier and % XP bonus, more on this later…)

• Lastly, the new importance of potions!

• Stat potions are the main recipe needed in order to enchant your items with the respective stats. (more on this later…)

As you may have gathered by now given the prior information, the maximum amount of enchantments an item can hold is up to 5, however this depends on the item’s rarity and tier.

• All tiered items can be enchanted to a maximum of 5 times, but the cost of fame goes up multiplicatively per enchantment (amount of fame required also depends on the items XP % bonus).

• (If you are curious as to how much enchantments would cost, click here).

UTs, on the other hand, have a different range of total enchantments. Of course, this depends on the item’s rarity and strength. For example, it’d be quite broken if Divinity could have 5 enchantments. That’s why I believe that most or all exaltation and event UTs should have a max enchantment cap of 3, for balancing purposes. This meaning you’d still require 5 stars on all weapon/armor/ability classes to enchant any exaltation dungeon UT for a max enchantment of 3 instead of 5. As for the “lower tiered” UTs, they could have a higher cap of 3, but this still resides within the item’s strength and rarity for balancing purposes.

Lastly, if you want to remove or “Dechant” an item, there’s a flat fee of 200 Forgefire Forge Fire.

Enchantment Combination System:

Remember, potions are the main ingredients used for enchantments, as said here:

Enchanting your items with stat potions will boost your items with the respective stat potion amount (applies to Greater potions as well). Each added potion/Greater potion counts as one enchantment. For example, if you were to imbue a staff with Dex + Life + Mana, that’d count as 3 enchantments; boosting it stat-wise by +1/2 Dex, +5/10 HP, and +5/10 MP.

However, you could settle for a combination of potions that can give specific enchantments at the cost of excluding the respective stat boosts. For example, Wisdom + Speed + Mana grants cool down reduction, but that still counts as 3 enchantments and the item no longer grants +1/2 Wis, +1/2 Spd, and +5/10 MP. As I mentioned before, Greater potions do have an effect upon how potent the enchantments can be, however it’ll cost significantly more fame.

Alternatively, you could randomly roll for enchantments as a cheaper option (fame wise) instead of selectively imbuing your items with enchantments. Depending on how many enchantments you want and what type of potions (either normal or greater) you use, it’ll halve the original cost. In addition, you must select how many enchantments you want in the roll, respective to the max. enchantment cap of course. However, in return, the enchanter will require 1 of each stat potion, either normal or greater, regardless of how many enchantments you want. Of course, if you’re unhappy with the roll you got, you could always reroll.

• (If you are curious as to how much random roll enchantments would cost, click here).

Edit: As @PRCSakura had noticed, I fully intended for enchantments to stack with one another. So, if you see an enchantment combination you like on multiple items, they will stack together!

Special Weapon Enchantment Combinations
First number under “Enchantment Yield” represents normal potion potency, 2nd number after the “/” represents greater potion potency.
Potion Combination Enchantment Enchantment Yield
Potion of Attack Potion of Life Potion of Vitality ->Weapon % Life steal + 0.001/0.002% of damage.
Potion of Attack Potion of Speed Potion of Wisdom ->Increased projectile distance + 0.5 tiles/+1.0 tiles
Potion of Speed Potion of Dexterity ->Increased projectile speed + 25/50%
Potion of Attack Potion of Mana Potion of Wisdom ->Weapon % Mana steal + 0.002/0.004%
Potion of Speed Potion of Dexterity Potion of Attack Potion of Wisdom ->Additional projectile (Dependent on arc gap) At the cost of decreasing total projectile damage by 45% if the weapon only shoots one shot. (Greater potions do not apply)
Special Ability Enchantment Combinations
First number under “Enchantment Yield” represents normal potion potency, 2nd number after the “/” represents greater potion potency.
Potion of Wisdom Potion of Mana Potion of Speed -> Cool down reduction - 10/20%
Potion of Attack Potion of Life Potion of Wisdom -> Ability % Life steal +0.001/0.002% of damage.
Potion of Speed Potion of Dexterity Potion of Wisdom -> Additional projectile(s) + 1/2 if ability only shoots/throws 4 projectiles or less. +15/30% extra projectiles if more than 4 projectiles (dependent on arc gap).
Potion of Speed Potion of Dexterity -> Increased projectile speed + 25/50%
Potion of Attack Potion of Wisdom Potion of Mana -> % Increased ability damage (regardless of class) + 10/20% additional ability damage per projectile/throwable.
Potion of Life Potion of Vitality Potion of Wisdom -> Additional Max Summon + 1 summon (Greater potions do not apply)
Potion of Attack Potion of Speed Potion of Wisdom -> Increased projectile distance or blast radius + 1 tiles/+ 2 tiles
Special Armor Enchantment Combinations
Potion of Attack Potion of Wisdom Potion of Mana -> % Increased ability damage (regardless of class) + 10/20% additional ability damage per projectile/throwable.
Potion of Attack Potion of Mana Potion of Wisdom -> % Weapon Mana steal + 0.002/0.004%
Potion of Speed Potion of Wisdom Potion of Attack -> Increased debuff duration + 5/10% longer
Potion of Speed Potion of Wisdom Potion of Vitality -> Increased buff duration + 5/10% longer
Potion of Wisdom Potion of Wisdom Potion of Wisdom -> Mana cost reduction - 5/10%
Special Ring Enchantment Combinations
Potion of Attack Potion of Life Potion of Vitality -> Weapon % Life steal + 0.001/0.002% of damage.
Potion of Attack Potion of Life Potion of Wisdom -> Ability % Life steal + 0.001/0.002% of damage.
Potion of Attack Potion of Mana Potion of Wisdom -> % Weapon Mana steal + 0.002/0.004%
Potion of Speed Potion of Wisdom Potion of Attack -> Increased debuff duration + 5/10% longer
Potion of Speed Potion of Wisdom Potion of Vitality -> Increased buff duration + 5/10% longer
Potion of Wisdom Potion of Wisdom Potion of Wisdom -> Mana cost reduction - 5/10%
Special Item Specific Enchantment Combinations
Potion of Life Potion of Mana Potion of Vitality -> Increases heal from item (Prerequisite: item MUST heal or have a healing proc in order for this enchantment to work) +10/20% extra Heal
Potion of Life Potion of Speed Potion of Mana -> Increases Summon duration (Prerequisite: item MUST summon in order for this enchantment to work) +5/10% summon duration
Potion of Defense Potion of Wisdom Potion of Vitality -> Reduces/Increases Proc Threshold (Prerequisite: item MUST have a proc in order for this enchantment to work) -/+ 5/10% Threshold
Potion of Defense Potion of Wisdom Potion of Speed -> Cool down reduction on item procs (Prerequisite: item MUST have a proc cool down in order for this enchantment to work) - 15/30% reduction
Special Universal Item Enchantment Combinations
Potion of Attack Potion of AttackMystery Stat Pot -> Increased Mystery Stat Pot stat on enemy kill +1/2 for 5/10 seconds.

Lastly, enchanting an item makes it Soulbound (if it wasn’t already).

Let me know what you guys think or hope to see in what Deca provides in this coming enchantment system! Regardless of what they choose to do, I’m generally excited to be given the option to altering my play style :wink:

Edit: This should be under the Ideas and Other category. Don’t know why it was put into Game Discussion.

this honestly seems pretty good!

possible typo?

an EP with greater lifesteal enchantment would net you about 0.11 HP/s going off this
you may have meant 0.1/0.2%, which would make an EP net 11 HP/s

same with mana steal

Definitely interesting.

I would love to put Increased Projectile Speed + Distance on a DBow for example.

Some questions:

Does the enchantment cost increases if I enchant a reskin of T6 Waki? Normal counterpart gives 6% xp bonus but its reskin grants 7%.

Do the same enchantments but on separate pieces of equipment stack? Basically 3 “Increased ability damage” but with 30/60% additional ability damage boost?

A bit of critique: Enchantment requiring you to have certain amount of star earnt is not a gud move.

I was worried about this being asked, specifically because I like using Fire Blade (Doku Reskin with %7 XP Bonus) more so than Doku (%6 XP Bonus). Anyways, to answer your question, of course there’d be some exceptions for item reskins. I just didn’t want to include each and every reskin and their coordinating fame costs lol.

And yes! Enchantments are intended to be stackable, thus pushing forth the idea of altering your playstyle. So yeah, if you desire to go on that ability centered playstyle; go for it.

I thought it’d be a better idea to have it Star/experience based than some other requirement, like an Exaltation requirement if Deca were to go that route. For example: “You must have 40 Exaltations on * blank * in order to enchant this Diplomatic Robe!” Of course, this is only a hypothetical example of what Deca could do as a requirement. Another requirement could be just to make it all Gold based, as in you can only purchase enchantments with gold, similar to what they did with dungeon modifiers.

You can only enhance keys with gold, just as you can only buy them with gold normally, but you can find modified dungeons in Realm. There could be a fame cost & gold cost, as for pets. Or have a single cost like Forgefire but you can buy boosts, or get them other ways, as well as having it recharge over time.

They will do something I think to limit it. They don’t want people with lots of gold, or with lots of fame, going wild enhancing dozens of items.

A star requirement is definitely not going to happen. It’s there for using keys as an anti-fraud measure. Without it someone could open an alt account, buy some gold, buy lots of keys, then use chargeback to reclaim the $ paid for the gold. The alt gets banned but the player who did it benefits.

Initially, when I was calculating the math behind % life and mana steal, I made the number so low so that the weapon’s DPS and its tied life/mana steal wouldn’t out heal a maxed lvl. pet.

The reasoning behind my decision was that we know that Deca generally likes to round numbers to the nearest whole number (such as how many projectiles are negated for a Dazed target). So, knowing this, even though it’d be a 0.001/0.002%, the weapon would still heal +1 HP per hit(s). Of course, if the weapon hits incredibly high, then the % would only increase its total life steal per hit.

Additionally, I wouldn’t want to make the % any higher because the longer ranged classes would then heavily benefit from it. Also, I anticipated that people would stack certain enchantments with one another. For example, you can apply weapon % life steal on both weapons and rings. So, if you had a greater potion enchantment for % weapon life steal (0.002%) on both ring and weapon, it’d be a total of 0.004%.

Comparison:

700 Damage (from 1 projectile) x 0.004 = 2.8 -> 3 HP per projectile hit (Round to the nearest whole number).

150 Damage (from 2 projectiles) x 0.004 = 0.6 (2) = 1.2 -> 1 HP per projectile hit (Round to the nearest whole number).

As you can see, those who hit for insanely high benefit more from total HP life steal than those who hit less hard. And of course, you still have to calculate total DPS and apply total % life steal and find out how much HP you life steal per second.

And thank you so much! I worked very hard on it ;3

I’m a little confused as to what you’re referring to. What could be/have a fame cost/gold cost? The enchantments? If so, I already included a fame fee/forge fire fee.

I agree, 100%. They’re definitely going to have a regulator/limiting currency to reduce enchanting usage. That’s why I included forge fire as a fee when enchanting. The only way to gain forge fire is from waiting daily, or purchasing sulfur with gold. If you’re saying they should include an additional regulator so that regardless if you have an abundance of fame/gold your enchanting usage will be halted, then I’m all for it. I didn’t think that far into it, so I appreciate the insight.

I mean when feeding or fusing pets there are two costs, one in fame and one in gold. That’s unique to pets though, done to let everyone raise a pet but to let whales get a maxed one quickly.

Forgefire is another option, or something like forgefire. Some people already dislike how it limits them to e.g. only one item every few days, and making it also used for enhancing items would make that worse, so something separate but like Forgefire seems more likely.

Or no cost at all. Instead enhancements are things you have to find, or unlock via daily tinkerer quests, which keeps them rare. There could be other limits such as on how many enhanced items you can use, or on certain combinations.

What about the items. Can you enchant any item? Only items with ‘sockets’? Can you add sockets to any item, and if so how? Always the sane number of sockets, or does it vary? Do items with sockets always drop without enhancements, or sometimes, or always, with 1 or more enhancement?

You can enchant any primary slotted items (weapons, abilities, armors, and rings). Let me know if you think I should include other items as well!

When you say ‘sockets’, are you pertaining to how many enchantments/potions can be applied, respective to the enchantment cap? If so, yes, only items with ‘sockets’ can be enchanted. However, I don’t think adding sockets or an increased enchantment cap would be a good idea and would lead to even more power creep alongside all of this. And no, all items don’t have to be the same number of sockets/available enchantments. This is dependent on the rarity and % XP Bonus on the item.

As for this, you definitely raise a good question. The idea of enchanted items being dropped in game totally flew over my head! (which is embarrassing because it’s such an easy thing to think about for a game like Realm lol). Anyways, I think it’d be nice if enchanted items could be droppable. However it must respect the rule tied to how many enchantments an item can hold based on its rarity, but its usability may not be tied to a Star/Rank requirement since it was a drop and not a selective purchase?? Meaning initially, if you wanted to Max. enchant an unenchanted Dirk of Cronos, you must have 5 stars on all dagger classes, however if you only had 2-3 stars on all dagger classes and managed to get a Max. Enchanted Dirk of Cronos as a drop, you’d be able to use it since it was a drop. This is definitely a very cool and interesting idea to dive into!

I should clarify I am speculating on the system DECA has come up with, extrapolating from the video which seems to show a weapon with 1 of 3 ‘sockets’ occupied with an enhancement. (‘sockets’ is from Diablo II, where you could add gems to sockets in some items).

It’s unclear from that video if it was found in that state, or found with sockets and then enchanted once, or even started as a plain t10 which had sockets added before it was enchanted. I would say obviously the other two slots can be filled by more enchantments, though possibly not the same as the one already added.

Oh oh oh bruh. My bad, I completely misunderstood lmao. But yeah, after you said sockets, you reminded me of POE (Path of Exile). Anyways, thank you for the clarification.

But yes,

these are all very good questions to ask Deca itself when regarding what a player can do with an item with socketable enhancements on it.

Moved to #game-discussion #ideas:other, since Enchantments have never been on public testing + 2nd post was made there.

Then I assume the cost to enchant Fire Blade costs as same as Doku?

Naturally, I’d think if a reskin of the item effectively does the exact same thing, then there shouldn’t be a penalty of paying more for the same item. However, this gets a little complicated when certain reskins are part of pseudo-ST sets.

For example, the Staff of the Silver Wings is just a reskin of Cosmic, however, it combined with the rest of the set pieces like the reskinned Gsorc and any Antimony Ring, then the set alone is already very strong due to the extra stats. Not to mention if it were to have enchantments, let alone enchantments with the same prices as the base items (the original non-skinned t12/t13/t6 tops).

Anyways, to put it simply, I think reskin items that aren’t part of UT sets should have the same prices as their original (like Ice Crown). Everything else would need adjustments to compensate for the additional stats.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.