Entertaining Speedrun Games

So I work in a call center type of place and during calls, I like to watch speedruns of games on mute. Do you know of any games that are fun to watch with no audio? Let me know! I’ve watched Wind Waker, Sonic Adventure 2, Minecraft, and others.

Super Mario odyssey :+1:

I’m a big fan of SmallAnt, so I could do that! Thanks for the suggestion!

Pokemon speed runs

If you’ve played the game yourself, then Celeste speedruns are wonderful to watch!

based on the title this isn’t quite what I was expecting so idk if my perspective is what you’re looking for. I can’t offer suggestions of games that are interesting to watch being speedrun, but some of the ones I like playing speedruns include: metroid fusion/zero mission (or any metroid game tbh), hollow knight, steamworld dig 2, and celeste was alright. I’ve also been playing crypt of the necrodancer a lot lately which has some infrastructure related to speedrunning so that might be interesting to watch, but I can’t imagine it’d be a good game to actually play for speedruns. I suppose I also wouldn’t have thought minecraft would be a good speedrun game but half the internet apparently disagrees with me on that subject so what do I know?

I am working on Hollow Knight speedrunning myself, and Metroid Fusion was one of my favorite games growing up! My brother speedruns Celeste, so we are planning on doing a joint Hollow Knight/Celeste speedrun competition where we both run a category with similar world records in our corresponding games. I am really looking forward to it!

Also Mario kart wii! There are some pretty cool speedruns of all tracks in different speed categories by TWD98, as he has a full playlist of them.
and of course Mario kart wii is the best Mario game ever sooo

I love TWD98! Been watching him since the beginning! I also agree that Mario Kart Wii is the greatest Mario game of all time.

Literally the only reason I own a TV is because the Wii wouldn’t display on my computer monitor, even with an HDMI adapter. I own a Wii and a TV exclusively to play that game.

Yes yes I race my dad almost every night and my brother when he’s home from college

I didn’t ever get to touch that game much. Dive you all are talking about MKWii, what is it that you all love about it compared to the rest of the franchise? I think I got to touch it twice, but I went from good to awful with those steering wheels turning me into a drunk driver.

I guess for context, I grew up with MKDS (which has been my favorite that I’ve seen), and now MK8D, which is a close second. For further clarification, I’ve seen a lot of the previous titles in action, too, so I’m not blind to these 3 particular games in the series only. Just wondering why the Wii version out of everything?

Well, mainly the tracks and steering. The amount of control you have with your vehicle when you know what you are doing is insane. The tracks are just perfect, with absolute bangers, such as rainbow road for the wii, definitely one of the best out there. Also probably due to the fact that I have spent like my entire life playing that game, so it’s just got a special place in my heart. Oh yeah, and the characters and vehicles you can play as are super neat, too. Wii wheel gang :muscle:

If you don’t like playing with the wheel, you can also play with the nunchuck. I think some of the best Wii players play with nunchuck as playing with the wheel takes time for getting used to. For me, MKWii is the best because of its simplicity and the classic tracks. In MKWii, there are no coin shenanigans and you only drive no flying. Tracks like Maple Treeway and Rainbow Road are just classics. I’ll admit though that I sucks at drifting using manual on MKWii compared to MKDS even after playing for 10 years.

Yeah, a lot of the world record holders do use the nunchucks/classic controller. I’ve tried several times to use them but I’ve never been able to get the hang of them and just get frustrated and go back to he wheel​:joy::sweat_smile:

As someone who also grew up with the SNES version in my youngest years (by far my least favorite, since they were still trying to figure things out back then; I am not going to be blinded by the pure charm and nostalgia it positively oozed), I can understand not liking the “coin shenanigans.” They weren’t present on the DS either, and I’m very much a manual drift racer! Nobody told me that I could use just the nunchucks themselves, so maybe I would’ve enjoyed the Wii version more, that way. :slight_smile:

For me it is the physics and the tight controls from “inside drift” bikes. Other things like the track selection (which due to some very dedicated modders is enormous) also impact my decision, but really it boils down to those first two.

The physics combined with the controls and track layouts allowed for some bonkers shortcuts that took a significant amount of practice and skill to perform regularly, which is insanely fun. My brother and I would play a single track dozens of times in a row trying to get them right.

I also like that there is a little bit of character distinction in Wii vs 8. In 8 basically every character is identical. In Wii there were 3 distinct weight classes of character that drastically change certain aspects of play. Obviously MK Double Dash is the king as far as characters go, though.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.