Etherite and the Cdirk ~ A proposed change

UTs are supposed to be side-grade, meaning no better or worse than the tiered’s but good in certain situations. An example of where this was done well: Demon blade. Using it all the time would be stupid because you’d have to sacrifice a lot of range but it’s very good in certain situations (Boss you can sit on, chests).

So, what’s the problem with etherite then? Well, it’s clearly better than cdirk. More dps, better stats and a faster projectile speed. Now, you could say it’s niche is supposed to be the reduced range. However, that was the cdirk’s niche! Now, it’s just a worse etherite. So, how can we fix this?

Give it pierce, nerf it’s damage from 157.5 to 135 (The damage of foul) and drop it’s range by 0.5 more blocks.

The only negative I can think of is that bone dagger would be absolutely useless. Please give me your feedback on this!

@Varianth Suggested to give this armor break which I think is also a great idea. I’m not sure how you would balance it though, ideally you would want: Worse than foul at 0 def but significantly better past 20-30.

Mod note: Moved to Ideas > Items
~ BMJ

Is Spirit Dagger better than Foul?
ST to UT and what is best shatters class
Favourite in-game sprites?

I agree with the fact that CDirk is not what it used to be thanks to the Etherite. However, I feel that instead of changing the Etherite, the CDirk’s damage could simply be brought much higher. Which a CDirk, it would be more of a high risk high reward scenario. This would be seen less with the Etherite, as it has more uses than just high DPS.

There’d be a serious power creep though if we were to just keep buffing things, also then the cdirk would be better than the etherite and not a sidegrade. Honestly, what I would like most is for the etherite to be removed. Most people would not agree however so I hope they could compromise on this.

Unfortunately, item removal is likely one of the last things that DECA would do before performing a game wipe. A lot of people invested time and money buying the gold for an Etherite and items alike.

Yeah, it’d never happen :(. I wish STs had never been introduced to the game tbh. The majority of them aren’t sidegrade, just a straight upgrade. I’m quite worried about the power creep in this game, I hope they never add another tier; no matter what the difficulty of the dungeon.

I think power creep is fine and sometimes even a good thing, but only if content is added/adjusted to match said power creep.

It’d just make the mid game dungeons too easy though. Yeah if they added in a new dungeon that was so hard the majority of people that went in died, that might be able to justify more powerful weapons/armor for that dungeon. When you take said weapons/armor out of that dungeon though, then you have a problem because the rest of the game just got a little bit/significantly(Depending on the strength of said item) easier.

This is a fairly normal and acceptable phenomenon amongst games like this. When you “level up”, you essentially can take on harder dungeons, but easier dungeons get easier and easier. This is acceptable in other games, because typically easier dungeons don’t provided drops that can be useful to very high tier characters (i.e. stat potions and UT items). This resulted from ignoring the basic fundamental “stat maxing” part of the game, and instead focusing on new and improved items.

Yeah I guess you’re right. Anyway, I hope they do concentrate on giving the new players some mid-level / low-level dungeons, it’s been a while since we’ve had one of them! We really need an updated tutorial as well, one you can’t nexus out of :slight_smile:

So true! The current tutorial is not very informative at all.

The cdirk is basically useless now imo. I would still use it tho, it’s so damn sexy.

I actually don’t use mine just due to the fact that it is so rare. I asked myself why I would risk dying with a rare item, when it’s not even worth it to use it anymore…

I’ve been hunting for 5 years, still haven’t got a cdirk :frowning:

Haha yeah, easily the sexiest weapon in the game. It’s absurd rarity doesn’t hurt either :wink:

I think that instead of nerfing the etherite give Cdirk armor piercing so it would have more uses than higher damage.

I am so in favor of this idea, actually.

That is a great suggestion, cwand is also an amazing example of what a UT should be: A sidegrade. I’m currently using one on my priest, I mainly use recomp but use cwand for tombs & some bosses. I’m not sure how to balance giving it armor break though, because I’d want it to be worse than foul at 0 def then maybe at around 20-30 it’s significantly better.

This is a good idea! @PURELEE you say “doom blade” instead of demon blade in your post!

Thanks, fixed!

I don’t think cdirk is the problem, it’s Etherite that is the problem.

It’s probably better if Etherite gets nerfed. Probably with an increase in the amplitude and frequency and removing that increased rate of fire.