Even though I'm an orange star, I'm making blue star choices

I became an orange star after my Rogue got to 400 at Nest event. But I don’t even have a 3/8 yet, let alone 6/8 or 8/8, and I’m making stupid mistakes, dying, and even going so far as to start begging for gear. I need help.

As a person who found himself repeatedly ending up in the same situation (check out my graveyard lol) I have a bit of advice:
I see a lot of your characters dying with some really nice gear. Try doing PPE’s for your characters up until level 20; You’ll be less likely to die with whites on a level 5 character. Personally I don’t use these high-tiered items until I have a few stats maxed, and can tell myself “I’m not dying on this character anytime soon.” (And hey, my Aether Orb that was going to be for my most recent mystic is still collecting dust in my vault)
Other advice:
Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. As I’m maxing up a character, I save some of the pots they earn (usually life) on mules/in vault so at least if I die unexpectedly, I have something to fall back on.
Have you checked out any of the RotMG discords? (link) Pub halls is a relatively safe way to get stuff if you’re careful and know what’s going on.

There are many white stars that make stupid mistakes too
It is good that you keep making mistakes and dying as long as you learn from them
If you keep on dying maybe play a bit more conservatively

Do whatever you want, don’t take the game seriously, and just have fun.

This is the best advice. I’m orange star too, and I make probably much worse mistakes compared to you (sentry cloak on 2/8 rogue, died to para boss…) The only thing that really matters in this game is your mentality.

thats right. lost a 7k base character by running over top of a oryx spawner in a lost halls

If it consoles you a bit: I used to have two stars on trickster for the longest time until I somehow hit 400 fame on some dumb fame trickster.
Now, I have had multiple tricksters with over 1000 fame.

I think focusing a lot on your pet can be good, as well as playing on throwaway characters: just make one and just play on it. Nothing special, no pots from other chars if you want to, just playing.
Increasing your knowledge of the game by playing it is one of the best farming things to do, tied with standardizing things - basically, being able to run dungeons on autopilot.

you can start doing halls with your characters and get some sweet life and sb tops while you are at it , there will be a raid leader to guide you so you should be fine as long as you dont stray from group and follow his directions.

Everyone progresses at their own pace, don’t worry about your orange star.

I didn’t really get that good until I was yellow star, and even then it took a little bit.

Take your time and learn how to do all of the dungeons, if you have multiple character slots I’d reccomend making a farming character and a normal character, farm potions on the farming character, don’t use anything valuable on the farming character, feed all potions to your main.

Just learn the game, what shots do what, and what you should be doing, if you can’t max a 4/8 character don’t do too many hard dungeons, such as nests shatters or Lost Halls.

Farm the easy dungeons and build your account before trying to do the hard dungeons, it will make them much easier.

Try doing sprite worlds and magic woods to max your character’s dex, after that get some speed from snakes (unless you max in the Mwoods) then go after attack by doing realm events and puppets, for attack and def you can just do sprites and snake pits and sell your dex/spd for att/def if needed, don’t do anything that’s too hard for you.

You probably already have but go check out Talwar, he makes really good guides, if you’re wanting to max characters this video can help you.

Don’t feel bad, not all orange/yellow stars are gods at the game, do what you think is fun in the game and try to progress at your own pace.

Also, nexusing is really important, seriously, whatever you’re doing is less important that what you have on your character, just nexus and try again, don’t risk a death because you might get a whitebag, it’s most likely not going to happen in that run anyway.

Good tips :+1:

I do this shit a lot myself. Heck, it’s part of the reason why I haven’t played much in the last 6 months. For me, it was mostly just complacence. Ya know, thinking I won’t die and then tryin to rip the bowl or sip the brew or fuck around with my phone or getting to close to enemies and subsequently dying. Rookie mistakes that I know full well how to avoid, but that complacence will kill you in a blitzkrieg game like ROTMG.

Not to offend any orange stars in the room, but rank has been MUCH easier to attain ever since LH and Parasite came out because a mass of runs can lead to quick faming. Don’t feel bad, just learn the game at your own pace.

I’d highly recommend focusing on one thing, e.g. maxing your dexterity. I have a similar problem (I’ve only had 2 3/8 characters since I started playing) and I find that I play better if I don’t get distracted. Normally, I see a Woodland Labyrinth or other rare dungeon and think “better go in” but I’ve found it a lot easier to max stats purely by focusing on the dungeons that give you the pots you’re after.

I personally saw a massive influx of people climbing ranks (in terms of stars) ever since MotMG. I think it has been mostly from parasite and ice cave events that were grinded to hell. LH is also ran a lot more now by people of all stars. Fame and stars just don’t mean what they used to and should not be an indication of skill. Don’t worry about your mistakes, you’ll only get better. Personally, I made tons of stupid mistakes even as a white star until about a month ago when I started playing with a goal to max ‘x’ number of characters and just being more careful.

I wouldn’t worry about it. The game is much easier now than when I started. Took me 2 years before my first 6/8

Now I have 17 8/8s.

The game is exponential. Slow start, but my advice is to keep practicing on dodging and learning enemy types, focus feeding your pet and farming for powerful white bags items (doom bow, planewalker, prot, etc).

Also my final piece of advice (though im not sure is relevant anymore) is to vault your life and keep it safe in case you die you’ll have the funds to buy pots and gear for your next character. However the market is pretty volatile and nothing is really worth anything anymore what with people literally dropping top tier items…

I used to be like you. I hit orange star, by grinding fame without grinding pots. Well, I still suck today but I personally think I’m doing better :stuck_out_tongue: First, learn to take risks. Risks teach you how to dodge. Playing safe isn’t going to teach you anything. Sure, you’ll lose, so here’s lesson number two. Don’t overinvest. At least not at first. Also, take breaks. after death, don’t immediately go back to play. Finally, after just getting on, wait a second before taking a risk

Start with a class you’re comfortable with. IMO, archer, wizard, and necro are best, but play with whatever you like. Farm as much pots as you can before dying and repeat. If you run out of storage from all of those pots, convert them into life. after a while, use the pots you got to max a character 3/8 (def, dex, spd). now you have a decently powerful char that can last longer. run higher-lvl dungeons like tombs. tombs are especially good bc you can get a max of 3 life pots pretty quickly if you’re in a good-sized group. if you die, don’t sweat. go back to step 1 and try again. it’s all about the perseverance.

If you’re broke, don’t do anything challenging (I know this might be boring and might lead you to quit the game, but it allows you to rebuild quickly with little risk).

Start with a 0/8 throwaway (trickster with old tops if you have a decent pet), and farm sprite worlds, trading your dex 8:1 life. Your wealth will build up fast before you know it.

but wealth isn’t the problem. The problem is skill level and doing nothing ain’t increasing that

Having a good pet makes this game significantly easier. Doing most things is tedious on my uncommon pet, but with a legendary pet you could rush most dungeons (such as sewers, tombs, and ddocks). Skill level and wealth can both be acquired much faster than a good pet could.

Also:

Clearly wealth is an issue for him, otherwise maxing 6/8 characters should be easy.