Exalt is out, what does realm really need now?

So after playing a couple of hours on the exalt client, I can safely say that Realm of The Mad God is at it’s best point it’s been in years.

Not just the sheer number of players, the polished graphics and those amazing new OST for the background music, but the feel itself of playing the game is smoother than ever.

The transition for me was very smooth and intuitive, although some things are missing from the game being (even closer to) perfect, such as allowing the entire screen to update tiles, rather than keeping the traditional circle around player with the fog of war on tiles that are out of range.

At this point I believe there are 2 major issues unaddressed in the game:

1. While most of the games feels as if its alive and very analog, a specific type of suicide enemies break that illusion entirely and make the game feel digital where you either live or die in a matter of split of a second.

I’ll explain: The Painling is an enemy found in the Parasite Chambers, a very difficult, but still not end level dungeon (unlike endgame dungeons like The Nest or Tomb of the Ancients). The Painling Quickly runs at the nearest player and explodes into a ring of 10 Poison Fireballs that inflict Slow. That’s not the worst part, the worst part is that it deals up to 1,050 damage, insta-killing every hero that hasn’t maxed out DEF with a good defensive gear.

Why are suiciding enemies like the Painling are a problem? They are often too quick to react to, leaving even 35 Stars players like me, which have been playing the game for years, even before the item duplication era, die instantly and feel stupid.

I get it, it’s hard and its very challenging and it is a high end dungeon. But your only chance of knowing to avoid those ****ers is the realm eye wiki. We have to rely on learning about the game via external source to understand dangers like these monsters. That’s a flaw the game has.

The new tutorial system in game that explains most of its basics does a great job! The only thing is missing is a By The Way, avoid these exploding things that will insta-kill your unmaxed character, although you already threw 20 defense potions on it!

Dying too often to those random suiciding enemies (that mind you, exist almost everywhere worth exploring for loot) makes the game feel Repetitive. That’s the worst part, you have to start again, farm potions again and as a knight, deal with the snake pit walls and limon the sprite god and whatnot and these can get VERY boring quickly if you keep on doing em 20 - 30 times a hero until you die again.

So the argument stays: These monsters are too strong, or not knowing about them is not really the players fault. I personally feel like the game slaps me in the face, just for playing it. And I question if I honestly deserved those slaps. I got 2 characters reach the point of farming Mana potions but yet 1 Rock Dragon out of nowhere and you guessed it, a rock dragon bat chased me and “self destruct” on me, as if it’s a Japanese airplane. I wasn’t even trying to beat the Rock Dragon, I focused a pentaract instead, and out of nowhere the bat came and end my whole progress… again.

So a possible solutions would be to alert the players before said monsters suicide (by flashing red for like a second or two, giving the player a chance to escape with all the chaos around) or by straight up nerfing their damage to even 90% of average hero HP after DEF stats and all, but not over 90%.

1. The 2nd issue I find in the game is more of an idea for improvement than actual struggle like the first one above, and it’s about a static market. As in, go to a marketplace to post an item to sell and items you wish to receive for said sold item. That would make trading a lot easier rather than hopping on from 1 server to another, and manually trading players. It would make this whole dying and repetitive experience a bit easier.
    I don’t even mind if the game will take a small amount of fame for each trade that has been made via the market.

So that’s about it, I know it’s a lot, it’s my first point and I hope I posted it where it belongs, since it is a bit of a mixed bag of suggestions and feedback, anyways I would love to hear what you’ve got to say about this. Are these suiciding monsters OP? are they not? do the players actually need that marketplace?

Excellent example from a semi-recent update: the Forgotten Souls in the Haunted Cemetery image

And another example of such an enemy that desperately needs it: the Rock Dragon Bat image . Seriously, this one is needlessly deadly!

<3

Realm need event white for each classes [prism, tome, skull, scepter, and waki left btw]

Most of the suicide enemies don’t seem that strong to me.
When I found the rock dragon bats and the painling for the first time it wasn’t that hard to dodge.
The suicider that probably killed the most of my characters was the old cemetery spirit.

The way trading works in this game is what makes it shine for me. It’s primal, simple and engaging. You know where you’re getting this potion of life from, because the guy is right in front of you. This system (or the lack of it, rather) makes it possible that people will sell things at different price than other places.

For example, someone wants to buy a single potion of dexterity in exhange for a potion of defense inside a realm. Now, not every player in the entire game that are currently playing will know that this person is offering that. It will only be those that are inside the realm that will be able to trade. Just like a white bag, you could be the lucky one; all you need to do is fulfill the requirements. For a white bag, its soulbound threshold. For a trade, its the items the other person wants.

In other games, there are systems just like you said that simplifies all of it, but I don’t like them.

The best example I can find is Runescape. You could trade between players, but why would you? In this game there is a system called the Grand exchange. You access it by going to the place that bears the same name and you talk to an exchange clerk. There is a window that appears and you can deposit your items there. A major component from this system is the price guide: the system puts a price on you item, it is up to you to choose your own or follow its advice. You can even decide to reduce or add 5% of the price the market chose, depending on if you want to have little but quick money, or great but slow profit.

It is a good system, but its sole presence kills the between-players-trades, therefor killing the fun I could have with trading.

There are 2 major places where you can have fun in this game: the realms and the nexus. Taking away a big part of one of the 2 will hurt more than it could bring, I would even compare it to removing dungeons from the realms. So when people say add a trading system, I hear remove fun from trading mechanics. I will not rue the day I defiled yet another Skull shrine, but I will certainly rue the day a trading system makes its way into rotmg and I will quit, just like I quit runescape.

The game really did deserve its nickname Realm of the Mad Merchant in past times. Though today’s trading is a pale shadow of what options we used to have available in this side of the game. You’d think after 4 years under Deca they might swap some of the older skins into unsoulbound. Or some of the older STs. Or 3 years after the LH tops were released they’d be considered for tradeable (maybe when O3 is released?).

Please explain. Were there more trading options and they got removed? Or did they add more options through time and it made it less appealing?

What Nevov means is that a much greater percentage of items are soulbound now than before DECA took over; new ST sets are sb, current tops are sb, new skins are sb, etc. This has lead to trading becoming far less useful now than it once was, due to the lack of options for buyers/sellers.

Oh, okay now I understand. I find it strange that soulbinding things has that much impact, but yeah its logic.

This statement:

makes me regret the fact that I started playing realm only 2 years ago (according to realmeye), but just a lil bit. I still enjoy trading today.

Thanks for the clarifications!

The crazy thing is how stuff like the Doom Bow would be reskinned and tradeable. Was pretty cool trading Morning Stars, good times.

I really hope that with the release of Exalt we will see some more quality of life updates for the game. Yeah, new dungeons and bosses are awesome, but I am still wanting flashing status effects before they end! Some sort of signal right before your invisibility ends as a rogue, before your (or anyone’s) stun ends as a night, before those stasis’d enemies return to reality and shotgun you (RIP my 8/8 Puri Prot Priest from a couple weeks ago).

A better way to interact with the vault and sort items would be great rather than going to every individual box of 8 items. Some way to transfer items from your vault to a character you are not currently playing. Being able to choose a default pet.

All of these things have been suggested for YEARS! I didn’t come up with any of them, and I think it is safe to say that by now DECA has also seen all of these ideas before. Hopefully once Exalt gets polished out of the beta-state we will actually see some progress toward these ideas.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.