Exalt on linux

You are able to play exalt on linux by using proton and adding: PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command% on Set launch options... of the game. Performance seems to be a bit worse than flash player but the game is playable.

Would this be similar to using Wine? I had to go through a ton of trouble to get Wine working for MacOS, so I always assumed that Proton would be likewise, since they’re apparently related.

I runned the wine that’s in the proton directory and it worked

Proton is based on wine, but all the hard work is done by steam, you rarely have to configure anything by yourself, even the installation of proton takes only 2 clicks inside of the steam client settings

Why they didn’t make a linux version is asinine to me. They already made the step to add support for 32 bit Windows. And it’s not like they would have to change a lot of code, because Unity runs natively on Linux to begin with.

Hi, I would like to run the version of Exalt that is on the official website instead of the Steam version since I would like to log in to my account. How do I run the exalt exe using proton?

Hi BLCRAFT, I’m sure you have already found a solution but on the offhand, this is a nifty guide with different ways to play Realm Exalt on Linux including two that are for the standalone player.

For a few reasons I assume:

• They might have used some libraries or assets that work only on Windows.

• When it comes to Linux, you have a ton of distributions from Ubuntu, Debian, Manjaro, Fedora. So basically not only you have a small marketshare to accomodate, it is also fragmented. They could support Ubuntu-based distros excluvisely, but that’s another story.

The game ‘works’ for me with wine as is, but the experience is awful. Without GPU drivers, CPU usage is 5x higher than with flash.
Things tend to go afoul after 10 minutes of playing. You start lagging badly and will eventually get disconnected after a minute or two. Once disconnected, the game acts as if you couldn’t connect to the server you were playing on and it forces you to change to another server or restart it.
So, it works, but it’s unplayable.

Swapping between testing and prod is also awful. Every time you change, the launcher logs you out, forgets your credentials, forces you to redownload the whole game (172MB currently, flash is 6MB), and reinstalls it. But that’s probably the same on windows too.
Entering a server takes 10x longer than on flash, and while you’re connecting, the game gives zero feedback about what’s happening.

Hi the Vulture!

I would suggest using DXVK if you have a Vulkan capable GPU. If not, there is always a way to run the Standalone Exalt Launcher with the steam compatibility tools!

All of it is explained in this guide. Feel free to add a comment if you have any questions.

That sounds like a good suggestion but dxvk is not available on ubuntu 18.04 unless you add some random ppa or compile from source. Both of those would hinder the upgrade to 20.04 coming in June. And 20.04 has dxvk out of the box. So, I guess I’ll wait till June.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.