Exalt on slow PC

Hi. I still don’t understand where every topic should be posted so if that’s the wrong place for that, pls move it. I would appreciate it.

For the context I will say that I have two laptops (I’ll call them laptop 1 which is mine, and laptop 2 which is…not mine…but I use it).
Laptop 1 specs:
Windows 7 / Intel Core i5-520m / Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD / 4 GB RAM
Laptop 2 specs
Windows 10 / Intel Core i5-560m / NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M / 4 GB RAM
By lags I mean fps issues in case anyone will be confused
Exalt is basically unplayable on L1. It’s lauching around 20-40 minutes, and when I join the nexus I have <10 fps. (I can record it if somene is curious to see how it looks like). Because of that I had to switch to L2, which is slightly better. It’s playable, but I still experience lags quite often. (Which in this game can result quick death, and since death in this game is permanent it can be quite…well…very frustrating).
I know for a fact that exalt optimalization is a disaster and even players with strongest CPU and GPU experience lags, but let’s be real - that’s not the main reason why this is happening in my case.

I run exalt windowed and I have low player opacity (+ally shots turned off) but it doesn’t really help. So I’ve got two questions.

1. What should I do? I mean seriously. Is it something I can do without having to invest money for better PC?
  2. People that play on laptops / computers with similar specs, what did you do to make your game run better?

I couldn’t really find similar topics to this one so I guess I’m one of the few players playing on old computer. Good old times when flash was a thing and rotmg was playable even on the slowest potato

Have you upgraded L1’s RAM?

No, I haven’t.

My laptop isn’t the greatest, but my desk is literally right next to the router so I hardly experience any lag. Try playing closer to a router or have a wired connection to it, that’s my advice

By lags I meant fps, not network issues. Thanks for trying to help me anyway, I really appreciate it.

I think it could still help with frame lag

My laptop has 2x 8GB of RAM and I can play almost without any problems.

No it doesn’t.

Signals are constantly yeeted from the computer to RotMG’s server in Amazon, and back. A better internet connection just lets the signals travel back and forth more easily, but the computer’s the thing that reads the signals and displays them on the screen. Frame lag means that the computer’s struggling to keep up with exactly that.

Turn off as many settings as you can. Quality to the lowest, particles to the minimum, shadows off, everything off. Directed to Sakura, more RAM doesn’t always mean better FPS (there’s also the processor/CPU and GPU to consider). When it comes to frame lag, there’s little advice we can give you other than recommend certain parts. The bright side is that your laptop seems to be open for customization. Be glad you’re not working with a decade-old iMac, because that’s seriously no fun. It purely goes down to how much money you’re fine with spending, how much effort you want to put, and essentially how far you’re willing to go.

BTW, hotter CPU will decrease the overall performance. So, try to underclock the CPU if overheating is the issue.

These are my current options (I can’t tell which one affect FPS, but I think these are the one) on L2

Options

Gameplay
User interface: Classic
Player opacity: 50%
Player on top - On
Guild members & Locked players - Off
Dynamic HP Colors on GUI - On
Dynamic HP Colors on Player - On
Dynamic HP Colors on Boss - On
Small Condition Icons - Off
Video
Windowed mode with resolution 1366x768 (Entire screen is 1920x1080)
Show Boss HP Bars - On
Show Quest Portraits - On
Show Tips - On
Show Trade Request Panel - On
Show Guild Invite Panel - On
Show Tier level - On (I honestly don’t want to disable it, just saying)
Expand realm quests - Off
Show fame gain - On
Toggle pots to max - On
Always show EXP - Self
Toggle Fame and HP/MP Text - Off
HP Bars - All
Draw Player HP Bar on top - never

Particles master - On
Particle effect - Low
Enemy particles - Off
Players hit particles - Off
Draw gameview shadows - On
Draw GUI Shadows - Off
Draw text bubbles - On
Ally notifications - On
Enemy damage text - Off
Ally damage text - Off
Curse indication - Off
Ally shoot - Hide all

Anything I should turn on/off?

Since I’m mostly using L1 most of the time (I’m only switching to L2 when I want to play rotmg) I’m used to have CPU temperature around 70-90*C. The temperature on L2 when I play rotmg is pretty much similar. But I can’t really tell if that’s overheating or not.

Sorry guys for late reply, I’ve been a bit busy with irl stuff.

For what I’ve seen, the most important thing on this game is RAM

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.