Exploring the Possibility of Wismod on Assassin

I feel like that I speak for most people when I say that Assassin is a relatively lackluster class. He has some very cool and interesting tools in the form of his varied poisons, but a large majority of his poisons are very bad when it comes to their magic to damage ratios. For example, Assassin’s best DPS poison, Murky Toxin, costs 120 mana to cast and deals a total of 1200 damage if you land the main payload (1 mana point = 10 damage). For comparison, Wizard’s two best damage spells have a mana;damage ratio of 120;4050 (1 mana point = 33.75 damage) and 110;4000 (1 mana point = ~36.4 damage), with the latter spell dealing AoE damage. I feel like the best way to buff Assassin’s poisons would be to add Wismod scaling to them, while having unique interactions with certain poisons to keep things interesting and unique. I feel like that this idea works due to the fact that dagger classes have a surprising amount of equipment that give Wisdom boosts, especially the Assassin/Rogue ST items. Keep in mind that this post is just to play around with idea of what Wismod could bring to the Assassin’s poisons and how they could shift his viability in a fun way while also serving as an interesting topic of conversation. I encourage discussion and feedback on this idea, and some criticism if you have some different ideas or viewpoints of this topic, as I want this idea to be as fleshed out as it can possibly be. Due to this being a pretty beefy post, all of the information regarding actual statistics and explaining how the Wismod rework will affect the poisons individually will be put here:

In the event of you not wanting to read a ton of text of me explaining myself, here’s a table showing slightly tweaked data from the main document, showing it in a cleaner form.

Can you summarise it with a table and a few lines of explanation, as seen for other wismod abilities. As I don’t have time to read through pages of text to try and understand it. If it’s impossible to summarise to concisely – if it really needs pages of text to explain it – then it is far too complex for this game.

Here, summarized it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NHlATIAhg9jn_I_D_dvbYbJuIrLNsXf2qTBMRrPka-c/edit?usp=sharing
Added to main post as well in case more wayfaring souls come through here.

No, like the other wismod abilities. Like e.g. the Orbs where the basic mechanic is given a couple of sentences, with all the detail in a table. Include tiered abilities so they make the bulk of the table, so it’s easier to see the progression and how it works in general. It’s then easier to make sense of how UTs and STs differ from tiered and to compare them with tiered.

Honk. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i0VWSAgmLr48FpDmpGtPvcp-bLf6lqr97v2S3xLB2KM/edit?usp=sharing
Replaced summary with a table on the main post.

OK, that’s much easier to digest. Two things stand out to me. First why start at 45? Other classes start at 50, even though they might top out at 60 (Sorc). This means a shorter so more dramatic ramp up, but it then means that if you sacrifice Def or HP for a Wis ring you gain more benefit. This would be especially interesting for an Assassin as they have fewer items that boost Wis.

Second it should definitely apply also to range. It’s by far the most interesting aspect of other classes’ Wismod. E.g. for Mystic the higher the range of curse the more options you have as how to use it, as you can centre your stasis further away and still curse things. A Priest with maxed Wis with a Puri has almost 10 range, basically the whole screen.

The starting at 45 Wisdom is something that I explained in my main document, but something I can explain here: Since robe classes generally have more and higher Wisdom boosting equipment (I’m looking at you Ritual Robe), lowing the needed Wisdom makes Assassin’s Wismod much more reasonable. (Plus, Assassin maxes at only 60 Wisdom, which in conjunction with him not getting too much Wisdom from his Wisdom equips, I felt it was needed to make sure the changes actually impacted the base class as well as potential Wisdom builds.)

For the second thing, I thought a lot about adding more range to poisons, but ultimately decided against it. As a rule of thumb, most of the uniqueness that comes out of the UT poisons is their varying levels of usefulness, a factor that can be heavily decided by range. For example, if something like Baneserpent got a range increase, it would make Plague poison obsolete, or if Murky got more range, it would make Baneserpent obsolute. I feel like the only poison I could make the range increase work on was the Crystallised Fang’s Venom is because you get the downside of increased throw time in exchange for a little bit of extra range for more efficient and further reaching armor breaks.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.