Feeling really bad... and confused... (not rotmg, IRL)

So to sum it up: today I was going to a karate class. (I am brown belt) As per usual, the class went through drills, then we proceeded to lessons, then sparring.

During sparring, I was matched with a new kid I had never seen before, most likely he had transferred from a different school. During sparring, I was matched up with him.

Now, in our school, control is very much emphasized. You have to be able to go within an inch of other people WITHOUT hitting them. (contact is prohibited in all tournaments, you have to come within an inch or two, and prove you are capable of hitting them) I am a very defensive fighter, preferring to wait out my opponent, bait them forwards, and put a kick in front of them. In a normal case, I would stop with my leg bent, SHOWING I could stop them but not actually kicking them.

In this case, the new kid barged forward through my kick (he was relatively big and heavy) and just slugs me in the stomach as hard as he can. (note: it really hurt) I am a really skinny person, and rely on either blocking them, kiting back, or stopping them with a kick to the face. I am not suited to getting up in their face or trying to use my arms (too short)

Bill Gates -
Life is not fair; get used to it.

But I want to not get hit here.

I’m not trying to be salty here, or trying to get sympathy. Basically, I want some advice: what am I supposed to do in this situation? When there is this person who doesn’t follow the rules, should I just deal with it and try not to get injured? Should I ask if I can spar someone else? Should I fight fire with fire, and try to kick him as hard as I can to stop him from attacking me? I really don’t know what to do here, and I really don’t want to be hit again.

karate

contact is prohibited in all tournaments

hit him in the liver

scientifically proven to hurt the most

######note: dont be scared to fuckem up, sometimes you just gotta square up and k.o. someone

Rule Number One, you never talk about fight club.

You get disqualified if you make contact, in ANY TOURNAMENT, especially international ones.

Our dojo frowns heavily upon it.

Big difference between a fighter and a martial artist, that’s what people say

so then wasn’t he disqualified?

This is in class… Practicing sparring… trying to help each other improve

And this guy is in it to beat everyone else… or he just likes to hit hard.

CONTROL… thats the difference between a fighter and a martial artist

im just a skinny scrub who doesnt want to get injured

Don’t hit in the liver, it may be dangerous

You don’t have a sensei? Tell him or any adult there who has authority and he will be roasted most likely.

i guess im going with this one then

ty for the advice

Report to your sensei

Defend yourself is not a good choice here

other options is…

1. fight back , he hurt you first ( really bad ) you have a right to hurt him back

2. ask help from your instructors might be a good choice , but if you ask to change the spar then another person might end up with the big guy and got fucked up

I have to assume there’s someone supervising the sparring. Make it clear to them that this person isn’t respecting the rule. If there isn’t one, I suppose you could just hit him back. Put him on the floor once, twice and he’ll think twice before charging past your guard again.

Tell… them that he actually hit you after you controlled your kick?

Just tell him the rules

marry him

As post malone says: “when my homies pull up on ya block they make that thing go rata ta taaaa”

Boi if your karate place doesn’t teach you how to hit or how to get hit then you are wasting your money… like honestly in an actual fight you are going to miss all of your punches and kicks not because you want to but just because it is ingrained in your muscle memory. Quit wherever you are going now and join a different dojo. There may be adifference between a martial artist and a fighter but a martial artist knows how to hit and get hit. Also you probably won’t block as effectively because they aren’t really trying to hit you, it is a completely different thing.

Yeah but then you are acting like a child, either learn how to block and don’t get hit in the first place or tell someone

you are kind of right but man if you just keep on blocking then he might keep on attacking
but i got your point bro