Fire and Ice Paladin ST Set

Hello there! It’s Isa, once again. I previously made a post about a new tier of health rings (the crowns) and I know I said I was going to get back to that post and update it a little to everyone’s liking (and yes, I will do that sometime soon) but anyway… Here is another idea post! This time for an ST set. Please keep in mind that this is a work in progress. Regardless, the items here are complete (other than a few things that I’m unsure how to calculate using the DPS calculator) and have some really cool and special effects to them! Let me know what you think on the art as well as on the in-game balance that I’ve tried to accomplish. I’ll give little explanations of the balance underneath each item.

One thing I would like to address before getting into the main part of the post is that I realize that there is already an ST set in The Shatters. The Twilight Archmage set is fun and this in no way replaces it as the dungeon’s ST set. They would both coexist in the same dungeon and the idea is for this set to be implemented upon the rework of Shatters. Obviously DECA is going to need to add something new to the dungeon when they rerelease it so why not spice things up with a brand new ST set for the dungeon to help complement the dungeon rework.

Anyway, without further ado, introducing the Fire and Ice Paladin set.

Two Become One

image gif

Engraved upon this magical blade’s hilt it reads, “When ice meets fire, two become one.”

Tier ST
Shots 2
Damage 110-160 (average: 135)
Range 4 tiles
Amplitude 0.5
Frequency 1 cycle(s)/shot
Rate of Fire 110%
On Equip +4 WIS
Fame Bonus 4%
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 900

Loot Bag image
Drops From Paladin Obelisk

Notes
Given the whole “magic” theming of the set, the idea for this sword is that it will feel like a staff, but with only 4 range. I want this sword to have a near-identical shot pattern to that of a staff, but again, with shorter range. Below, I have shown what the shot arc would look like (albeit without the correct projectile). It would cross once before meeting the end of the shot pattern. Just like Sword of the Colossus, it has an interesting shot pattern that, in turn, may be difficult to use as a melee class.

Also, just like Sword of the Colossus, it is complemented by having insane damage! Below I have shown the DPS chart for the sword, comparing it to that of Pixie Sword, Sword of Splendor, Sword of the Colossus, and Pirate King’s Cutlass.

Okay, so it’s not that insane. It gets beaten out by Sword of the Colossus rather quickly at around 12 defense. However, it is still a better option than any current tiered sword or Pirate King’s Cutlass up to around 50-55 defense. This means that it will almost always be the better option in terms of swords for fighting enemies like Marble Colossus if you don’t have a Sword of the Colossus or prefer Two Become One’s shot pattern. It beats out Pixie Sword at around 26 defense making it the more useful sword in higher level dungeons. It does, sadly, perform worse than all of the swords shown besides Pixie at higher defense so you may want to consider carrying a tiered sword as well if you plan to clear shatters switches or other super high defense enemies.

Oh, and one more thing! If you couldn’t tell by the gif earlier in this item’s description, it alternates which shot color it shoots so that you are shooting both fire and ice projectiles!

When the entire Fire and Ice Paladin set is equipped, the weapon projectile changes to:

gif2

Fission Core

image image image

A seal created within the titanum’s core when struck with ice and fire from the adepts. It contains the powers of Inferno and Blizzard.

Tier ST
MP Cost 80
On Equip +20 HP, +20 MP, +4 WIS
Effect(s)

On party: image Damaging

Duration:

Range:

Summons Daughter of Blizzard and Son of Inferno to aid the player in combat

• Daughter of Blizzard: 80 damage every 0.5 seconds with 25% chance of inflicting slow for 4 seconds

• Son of Inferno: 80 damage every 0.5 seconds with 25% chance of inflicting curse for 4 seconds

• Bird Attack Range: image

• Duration: image

Cooldown 7 second(s)
Fame Bonus 4%
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 900

Loot Bag image
Drops From Titanum

Notes
This item is very similar to the Hivemaster’s Helm in that it allows you to summon creatures to aid you in battle. In this case, you are summoning the children of Inferno and Blizzard. This is a very powerful seal as it gives the Paladin the ability to inflict curse, slow, and adds on to the Paladin’s already incredible DPS, albeit less than the Hivemaster Helm does for the Warrior. The main use of this seal is raw damage output and inflicting statuses so that the Paladin can get up close and personal with enemies while they are slowed and cursed.

Frosthearth

An armor forged by the great mages of The Shatters upon the impact site of a meteorite that scorched the lands.

Tier ST
On Equip +80 HP, +14 DEF, +10 WIS
Fame Bonus 4%
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 900

Loot Bag image
Drops From Inferno, Blizzard

Notes
Like the rest of this set, many of the items seem to be callbacks to previously released items with a slight change to give them somewhat of an edge. The Frosthearth looks very similar to the Breastplate of New Life, however, it sacrifices a hefty 80 HP in favor of 10 Wisdom to help boost the Paladin’s ability usage.

Twin Talons

The talons of Inferno and Blizzard exert an overwhelming power that only the strongest of holy warriors may wield.

Tier ST
On Equip +80 HP, +80 MP, +4 WIS
Fame Bonus 4%
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 650

Loot Bag image
Drops From Inferno, Blizzard

Set Bonuses

2nd Piece Bonus: +20 HP, +20 MP
3rd Piece Bonus: +20 MP, +2 DEF
4th Piece Bonus: +20 HP, +20 MP, +3 ATT, +3 WIS
Subtotal of Bonuses: +40 HP, +60 MP, +2 DEF, +3 ATT, +3 WIS
Overall Stat Bonus: Wearing the entire Fire and Ice Paladin set will grant in total
+220 HP, +160 MP, +16 DEF, +3 ATT, +25 WIS

Notes
What this set lacks in defense is made up for in its ability to, well… spam abilities! Even without the full set on, you can have a Paladin with an extra added 18 Wisdom which ends up being 93 Wisdom on a class that can really make use of wis mod. Wearing the full set blasts you all the way up to 100 Wisdom allowing you to permanently have your two avian friends at your side as 100 Wisdom gives you a full 7 second use time (the same as the Fission Core’s cooldown time). In addition, it has 60 more HP and a much more useful ability than the Swoll Paladin set from the previous generation of STs. Sacrificing a large sum of defense may be worth it when you’re compensated with an insane damage output and an ability that can curse.

I hope you enjoyed reading through this! Please leave any feedback down below. This is kind of a difficult set to balance given the crazy ability, so I am looking for your opinions on the matter so that we can work it out to be just as good as the other ST sets, or if it’s too good, maybe nerf it a little.

Thanks!

With the weapon, I’d up the range of the sword slightly, perhaps matching CSword and Pixie (acting as a sort of in-between because of the shot number and odd firing pattern).

The seal looks really good for a pure DPS, it makes an amazing swap-out for solo DPS and for some sweet sweet soulbound. Though, personally I think the range is too limiting, especially for a seal with no defensive boosts, and especially for a set that relies on the ability.

The armor is really interesting. Though, I’d move the +4 Wisdom from the weapon to the armor, cause at its current state, the stats are spread out too evenly that the +10 Wisdom doesn’t pull enough weight considering the cost of survivability. Also, most sword classes wouldn’t benefit from +4 Wisdom on the weapon anyway, so specializing the armor a bit more seems appropriate.

The ring is also really neat. It’s a balanced ring with a bit more appeal to those that want to boost their wisdom. Very reminiscent of Expo (like if it split it’s +4 Defense into +20 Hp, +20 MP, and Vit became WIs)

Overall, it’s a very decent set with parts that can easily be used as swap-outs but the whole set itself is very appealing as a ability-reliant set.

Nice sprite.

ST 16x16 Sprite looks a bit… hideous? Otherwise, love the idea of a shatters ST set. Would love this to be added to the game.

Yeah, I’ve currently been working on other idea posts/doing public testing to try to give feedback on o3 and the bard but once I have more free time I will 100% redo the 16x16 sprite. I agree that it is hideous, but I made it fairly quickly to use as a placeholder until I can get around to make a full sprite sheet with all necessary animations for this set.

I have a few ideas for the finalized 16x16 sprite. I’m thinking it’ll almost look like a statue of a bird, but very gargoyle-looking. Another option is having it be the first quadrupedal ST set sprite (exciting, I know!!). With that I would probably make it a four legged griffin/chimera-looking creature which I think would be very unique and be a refresher from all the humanoid ST sets we’ve gotten recently.

Thank you for your feedback!

I love the sprites for the items! They look really cool. The actually ST sprite reminds me of the dragon tamer warrior sprite (not a good thing), I would prefer if it looked like some of the newer STs. The concepts for the items are also really cool- sword looks fun to use, seal reminds me of the bee helm which is one of my favorite UTs, and the armor and ring have good stats to encourage the use of the seal. This set is exactly what Paladin needs to round him out

Yeah, I hope to change the 16x16 sprite in the near future. It’s in my backlog of ideas that I’m still working on. :slight_smile:
Thanks for the feedback.